Had 920 and loved it ? Don't wait for 935 or 1030, get 930 NOW!

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

There is lots of bad writing about 930 going on, but let me tell you this:

When 920 came out it was the same story and yet it still is the best selling FLAGSHIP Windows Phone to date.
As some of you remember 920 had issues, mostly first few batches where shipped with faulty FF camera that was getting "dusty" and also famous flickering screen. I remember people complaining about poor battery life and overheating, I was lucky enough to get my 920 on November 9th in the UK as one of the first EE phones available at all! No hardware issues and I got wireless charger for free. Over those nearly 2 years my 920 had some software issues and they were fixed with updates and I know at least 5 people that had problems with hardware but after exchange under warranty these were gone too. Last week I got 930 and again no issues other than grey being displayed in purple sometimes (next software update will fix that too). 930 is nearly as solid as 920 and I strongly believe that there won't be a better phone until 940" comes out (that unless Microsoft will change it all over again and will release some kind of Lumia ONE and mini/Max variants as a killer phone on all networks everywhere, but leaks indicates that it will be 1525 with just a better processor this year.)

Why not to wait for 935?
Because it will never exist. 925 came out as a new design (plastic + aluminium) which 930 already has too and therefore there is no point of making 935 just to have a slimmer version but with the same internals ( it was also slimmer because 925 didn't have wireless charging built-in and this time around it would be pointless to release the phone without it when Microsoft is pushing even more for this tech.) Also slimness made the phone less durable comparing to 920.

Why not to wait for 1030?
Microsoft Lumia 830 appears with Nokia branding in leaked pics | ITProPortal.com
They say it's 830 and I think this might be 1030. In my opinion since McLaren has been cancelled the next high end from Nokia will be above pictured phone. To me this looks like full aluminium bodied (to make it slimmer then 930 and probably no wireless charging too!) with improved and smaller (hence no Xenon flash )41 mpx camera (UPDATE :also I just noticed that the corners looks like those on Nokia X phones and as they will be moving some of the design language to Lumia it would make sense for this to be a "coming soon" WP device). It will most probably have the same Snapdragon 800 (since "hello" Microsoft uses 1 generation processors per year). Again this is niche phone that will possibly be less durable and at least $150/?100 more expensive compared to 930 ( and it won't be sold with so many freebies you can get now with 930!)

930 IS the flagship for the next 2 years, because despite not having Snapdragon 801 it will handle games that will come out easily until next year or so and because it's first flagship WP 8.1 it will be most hacked WP 8.1 device, most updated one, most loved by WP devs, simply it will be great! Or from the other point of view like Xbox ONE lots of hate in the beginning and now just months after, you are getting new features every month plus lots of free games and stuff!

So do not hesitate, do not wait. Everyday brings a new smartphone but you just got to now which one is that one and in my opinion 930 is!

Dominik Dominik

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
i just dont think 930 brings anything new or better to the table than its android or ios competitors. its basicly 1520 in a smaller size, but released almost 1 year later. i dont think this is acceptable for a flagship.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I am a current 920 owner and love my phone. My contracts up in 930 and to be honest I just want a newer version of my phone that's updated (still runs good, and fast) to last another two years. As for above post have you ever used a WP? Even if its not a 801 chipset WP runs smoother and faster than android or ios. Besides the 801 is not a vast difference in speed. Not enough to be a big deal.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, 930 seems like a nice phone, but personally I was expecting more from it, especially battery, since it so bulky.

I really don't find it bulky. I wouldn't want it much thinner - there is such a thing as too thin for a phone. Yes, I also would have liked a bigger battery and the newer processor would have been good - not because it's faster (not really needed on WP) but because it is more economical battery-wise.

Otherwise I am very happy so far....and the camera is VERY good - the 1020 won't be missed too much most of the time.

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
i just dont think 930 brings anything new or better to the table than its android or ios competitors. its basicly 1520 in a smaller size, but released almost 1 year later. i dont think this is acceptable for a flagship.

iPhone 5s - dualcore 1,3GHz custom chip, and yet it sells like hot cakes.
It's all about the whole package and not the latest and greatest and hottest (pun intended) hardware.

Yes, the hardware helps too but if it doesn't run on Snapdragon 800 then it's basically badly written piece of crap.

And to be honest do not expect the revolution in phone hardware in coming years, the market is slowly stagnating because we've reached the point when performance is better than average consumer needs, just like with desktop cpu's. Smartphone makers now try to differentiate other aspects - because the hardware is already there.

AJE1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
You had 920 ? Can you compare size ? Its much bigger than 920 ?

I have handled the 920 on several occasions, though I don't own one. There is very little difference in the width between the two (930 VERY slightly wider), though I personally find it slightly harder to hold due to the sides being more "square". Height-wise the 930 is taller, but not massively so. Nokia has managed to fit a significantly larger screen in a very similar form-factor partly because the bezels are narrower.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You had 920 ? Can you compare size ? Its much bigger than 920 ?

I took these photos several months ago and posted them on this forum if they help you at all. My Lumia 920 next to the Lumia Icon (ostensibly the Lumia 930). I noticed no difference in width, but a noticeable (albeit small) difference in height.

Attachments

• sides.jpg
    sides.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 39
  • next.jpg
    next.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 35
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 35
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 35

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks... But when you hold 920 and then 930 - its the same ? I mean its not something you tell "wow this is bigger, i can hold it like 920" .. I mean i like 920 size, holding etc. and I have worry 930 will be much more bigger in hands.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Many thanks... But when you hold 920 and then 930 - its the same ? I mean its not something you tell "wow this is bigger, i can hold it like 920" .. I mean i like 920 size, holding etc. and I have worry 930 will be much more bigger in hands.

For me there was absolutely no difference when holding it. I had to actually compare the phones side by side like in these pictures to notice the difference in size.

P.S. In the bottom left picture, I had the bottom of the phones aligned when holding them to illustrate the exact difference in height, just as an FYI.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I compared the two on Sunday and the 930is a little taller other than that Nokia did a good job getting the munch bigger screen into the same size phone. I did note that the bottom bezel was much smaller, making accidental button presses ever more likely. Can't comment on weight/build quality as it was one of those fake showroom jobs.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, 930 seems like a nice phone, but personally I was expecting more from it, especially battery, since it so bulky.

I really don't find it bulky. I wouldn't want it much thinner - there is such a thing as too thin for a phone. Yes, I also would have liked a bigger battery and the newer processor would have been good - not because it's faster (not really needed on WP) but because it is more economical battery-wise.

Otherwise I am very happy so far....and the camera is VERY good - the 1020 won't be missed too much most of the time.

The reason it is not thin is because of its huge camera module and I agree, that its not worth to compramize it. 930s thickness if fine for me. The camera hump of 1030 looks bit wiered. But with better processor and image processing mechanism if the successor of 1020 with 930 design, and thickness will be a dream phone. I love the design of 930, although the design of 920 isn't bad, but I am bit fed up with the old design and too much of plastic.

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I love my 930 at this moment its everything I want from a phone, as others have said Iphone still sells loads and that's out of date but it still also runs like a charm. My 930 runs a tiny bit faster than my 8x but its better all round. As I have said before some will wait and as soon as you wait something else will be teased and that will make other people wait again. If you had the 1020 last year your more than likely have 12 months left on a contract but my advice is if your out of contract because you had the 920 or 8x then do it get it you wont be disappointed.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
even though I love the colors and designs of the 930, I am not getting that until they add Glance.
that, and 930 is only available in one carrier in the US.

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

I had the 920 in daily heavy use for well over 1? years and now owning the 930 I didnt have any negative impressions when taking the 930 in hand. It actually felt quite similar in dimensions, even if the screen is bigger. Obviousy the rounded design vs. more square'ish design feels in hand, but I dont have anycomplaint about that per se

Igor_BL

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
If L930 had glance screen, it'd be an option for me. However, since it doesn't, I'll wait until it gets it, or wait for some other close enough device.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I was waiting to see what Mclaren would look like before decided on my 920. After it's cancellation, I started looking for an orange 930 which I should get sometime today!

There's nothing wrong with my 920. Except that it's really beat up lol. I worry how the 930 will handle the punishment I'll unwittingly deliver to it over the next year! I appreciate the plastic of the 920, saved a lot of catastrophic damage I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte