07-29-2014 11:59 PM
56 123
tools
    The hardware difference is close to non-existent. The S5 costs more and is extremely cheaply built. The Z1 isn't even made anymore, Sony is just selling off stock. As Sony releases new phones every few months, the Z1 isn't actually an old device. It's just not produced anymore as it has been superseded by the Z2. The oldest of the bunch is the iPhone 5S, which you've conveniently chosen to leave out. I agree, you get the most bang for the buck from the M8 at the moment, but that one has a lousy, two-year old camera and HTC is behind in terms of software updates. The S5 has a lousy build, so does the LG G3 (which also happens to have huge performance issues, just read the reviews on Digitec.ch). I maintain that the 930 actually is priced quite competitively. Also, we're talking about thr initial sales price here - the S5 was much more expensive when it was released a few months ago. And as you correctly pointed out, this is the 16gb version we're talking about here. You'll need to buy a microSD card to achieve the same amount of storage, and memory cards are known to cause performance issues on Android phones, so these aren't an option for many people, despite the phones having card slots.
    Well, let's agree to disagree on this.

Just a few points: The Z1 Compact doesn't actually have a successor yet. The G3's build quality is actually pretty good (it's lying on my desk, I've decided to go for it because I didn't felt like paying the same price for a device that is on the market for over half a year under a different name) and it performs very well. Just read all the reviews in the web. There are enough bad Lumia 930s around that you don't have to focus on the bad LG3s. Just read the good reviews on digitec ;-).

And now you might say, "well, that's your point of view!" and yes it is, and I have made my decision. Even if the Lumia 930 is worth it, and I'm sure it is, it's a beautiful phone, the Snapdragon 800 might even be overkill for Windows Phone that performs just as well on low-budget devices, and the camera is certainly one of the best you can get, I see a problem in pricing.

People who think about buying a new phone will still compare it to current Android high-end devices. As I said before, it has hardware that is comparable to a phone that was released almost a year ago and offers an operation system that is already struggling in market penetration.

A really aggressive price could have brought people to Windows Phone, but this pricing won't. Let's hope I'm wrong, I'd love to buy a high-end Window Phone device with a high market share in a year or two.
    07-29-2014 03:34 PM

Just a few points: The Z1 Compact doesn't actually have a successor yet. The G3's build quality is actually pretty good (it's lying on my desk, I've decided to go for it because I didn't felt like paying the same price for a device that is on the market for over half a year under a different name) and it performs very well. Just read all the reviews in the web. There are enough bad Lumia 930s around that you don't have to focus on the bad LG3s. Just read the good reviews on digitec ;-).

And now you might say, "well, that's your point of view!" and yes it is, and I have made my decision. Even if the Lumia 930 is worth it, and I'm sure it is, it's a beautiful phone, the Snapdragon 800 might even be overkill for Windows Phone that performs just as well on low-budget devices, and the camera is certainly one of the best you can get, I see a problem in pricing.

People who think about buying a new phone will still compare it to current Android high-end devices. As I said before, it has hardware that is comparable to a phone that was released almost a year ago and offers an operation system that is already struggling in market penetration.

A really aggressive price could have brought people to Windows Phone, but this pricing won't. Let's hope I'm wrong, I'd love to buy a high-end Window Phone device with a high market share in a year or two.
    The price is actually what's keeping me from replacing my 1520 with it right now.
    07-29-2014 10:01 PM
    The price is actually what's keeping me from replacing my 1520 with it right now.

Which wouldn't make sense anyway as it has the same specs and simply comes with a smaller screen
    07-29-2014 11:23 PM

I'm not agreeing on anything here. The Z1 compact isn't a flagship phone and has a considerably smaller screen. Let's compare apples with apples here.

Good luck with the G3 - from what I've heard and seen it's one laggy bas***d with massive software issues (random shutdowns etc.) and lousy camera performance in low light.

As for the market share: I'm certainly not a Microsoft zealot (except from the phone, almost every piece of IT equipment in our home is made by Apple), but there's no denying that the market share has improved considerably, especially in Europe, where it's reached the 10% limit - is it comparable to Android? Nope. Does it have to be? I don't think so. It's enough to attract developer interest, that's good enough for me.
    07-29-2014 11:42 PM
    I'm not agreeing on anything here.
    You don't need to be so passive aggressive here, I thought we are having a good discussion. It doesn't seem so.

I thought I made clear that I don't want to imply you made a bad decision with buying a 930. I understand you would feel attacked then and want to give it all back with your comments about the phone I decided to buy. (Good job on quoting the issues with camera and the random shut down I mentioned in this forum, things that are most likely only a fix away. Would you like to know about the issues I had with all my Windows Phone devices?)

It doesn't matter whether you understand my worries or not, the future will tell. For the moment I can sit comfortably on the side, enjoying the SRF, Postfinance and Meteoswiss apps, can access Cisco VPN and just observe if Windows Phone will get those apps and features or not.

Those are different priorities than you seem to have, and I am happy for you being happy with your phone.
    07-29-2014 11:54 PM
    This thread has gone off the rails and has reached its conclusion.
    Guytronic and Liam Bryce like this.
    07-29-2014 11:59 PM
56 123