Warning to prospective buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Bryce

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
These forums are filled with people with unusual defects or exaggerated expectations. I got a normal functional version of the phone. The screen is amazing, better then anything on the market. I have noticed no discoloration or areas of increased brightness. It is a bit purple on low but I assume that will be patched, its not a big deal. Screen turn on time is also a little slow, but again, it'll probably get patched. The build quality is excellent. No rattling. No wobbly buttons. It has a solid yet light feel to it. The Lumia 930 thickness is surprisingly comparable with an iPhone's. The exterior colours are beautiful, they don't look washed out like in the photos, they are really intense and I love it. I have orange and it certainly gets a few stares. The camera is also amazing. The 20mp allows you a lot of wiggle room with photo's, you can easily zoom in and crop without it looking blurry. Finally the OS. Beautiful. Everything has been tweaked and refined since WP8, plus big additions like the notifications centre and moving backgrounds (no Cortanna here yet though :/). It feels much more polished then before. In addition The Lumia 930 is really snappy and runs games beautifully. I'm not really sure what everyone's problem is with xbox music. It works fine for me, I don't really understand what the rage is about. Admittedly I just got mine, so I haven't seen it unpatched.

In conclusion. This phone is incredible and I love it. It has reignited my passion for the OS and removed the temptation of Apple from my mind. I don't know why people are hating on it so much. Even my Apple ****** friends are impressed by my phone, a few are even considering switching.

p.s. I havn't noticed the phone getting anything more then slightly warm (however it is currently winter in Australia).
p.s.s Battery life rocks my world.

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
In conclusion. This phone is incredible and I love it. It has reignited my passion for the OS and removed the temptation of Apple from my mind. I don't know why people are hating on it so much. Even my Apple ****** friends are impressed by my phone, a few are even considering switching.

Are people really hating on it? I think it's a beautiful phone with an amazing hardware build.

The only problem why I would never have bought it: It was on the market for almost half a year under the name Icon, the SoC is in phones for 9 months that cost almost half as much as the 930. And still, the 930 is priced in the range of current Android high-end devices. It's just too expensive in my eyes.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
After first few days with annoying problems (hot, personal adjustment on screen size), I has been in love with it. The battery life is beyond my expectation as well.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Are people really hating on it? I think it's a beautiful phone with an amazing hardware build.

The only problem why I would never have bought it: It was on the market for almost half a year under the name Icon, the SoC is in phones for 9 months that cost almost half as much as the 930. And still, the 930 is priced in the range of current Android high-end devices. It's just too expensive in my eyes.

I also find it too expensive. I think i'll still get one but im waiting on a reasonably priced green one to be available. Could get a white or black one now but I want green! I really don't care about the SoC at this point as long as its at least a snapdragon 800 or newer and not a 600 (some of the previous flagships) or less (400 is low midrange, 200 is low end) I'd like an 805 but frankly if you get something now might as well deal with it until the 808 and 810 SoC's are released for next year (64bits of uselessness so it'll be newer than that fancy shmancy 805)

Liam Bryce

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
After first few days with annoying problems (hot, personal adjustment on screen size), I has been in love with it. The battery life is beyond my expectation as well.
Holy **** I know right. On my first full day of use. FIRST DAY! I downloaded half a gig of apps. Played a **** ton of games. Locked brightness to max. Showed it off to friends. Streamed Pandora and Mix Radio. Battery at the end of the day. 53%. Second day did pretty much the same. 69%. I'm honestly shocked. Admittedly my child like glee could probably stem from the fact I've been forced to use a 4 year old WP7 for the last 6 months. Damn HTC's and their weak glass...

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

And the only real difference between the two (as far as a normal user is concerned), is the OS. Icon (aka 929) comes with 8.0, 930 - 8.1.

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It is a bit purple on low but I assume that will be patched, its not a big deal. Screen turn on time is also a little slow, but again, it'll probably get patched. The Lumia 930 thickness is surprisingly comparable with an iPhone's.

Sorry i take issue with all of the above.

it is considerably thicker and heavier than the iPhone, and even thicker than the One M8 (despite what the "spec" sheet says it is noticeable).

Also, Why should we be satisfied that things will get "patched". Thats not good enough. imagine buying a car with no airbag and saying thats ok it will get patched later.

Br1anK

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay,

I received 15 Lumia 930s today and will be setting them up over the coming week.

Today I set up two, one while charging wirelessly and the other while is wasnt charging.

The one that was charging synced an Outlook, Exchange and iCloud account, also restore a previous Windows Phone to it (messages, contacts etc). Also, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and some other bits 'n' pieces. This phone did get noticeably hot, but not even close to a temperature that would concern me.

The other phone is for a new windows phone user (also a new user to our business) so was only a basic set-up. This phone had no noticeable temperature issue.

Both screens clear, and the colours look fine.

Last edited:

Liam Bryce

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, since this thread is a warning to prospective buyers I think you should see jm4cc's comparison of a normal and a faulty display:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-linked-screen-discoloration.html#post2660685

View attachment 73091
View attachment 73092

These do exist. You're just lucky.

Defects exist with any product. I feel for the people who got them but they are in the minority. The screen thing I feel has been overplayed on the forums. Every Lumia 930 I've seen has been completely normal.

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
These forums are filled with people with unusual defects or exaggerated expectations. I got a normal functional version of the phone. The screen is amazing, better then anything on the market. I have noticed no discoloration or areas of increased brightness. It is a bit purple on low but I assume that will be patched, its not a big deal. Screen turn on time is also a little slow, but again, it'll probably get patched. The build quality is excellent. No rattling. No wobbly buttons. It has a solid yet light feel to it. The Lumia 930 thickness is surprisingly comparable with an iPhone's. The exterior colours are beautiful, they don't look washed out like in the photos, they are really intense and I love it. I have orange and it certainly gets a few stares. The camera is also amazing. The 20mp allows you a lot of wiggle room with photo's, you can easily zoom in and crop without it looking blurry. Finally the OS. Beautiful. Everything has been tweaked and refined since WP8, plus big additions like the notifications centre and moving backgrounds (no Cortanna here yet though :/). It feels much more polished then before. In addition The Lumia 930 is really snappy and runs games beautifully. I'm not really sure what everyone's problem is with xbox music. It works fine for me, I don't really understand what the rage is about. Admittedly I just got mine, so I haven't seen it unpatched.

p.s. I havn't noticed the phone getting anything more then slightly warm (however it is currently winter in Australia).
p.s.s Battery life rocks my world.

Wow, thanks Liam. I feared the worst when I saw the word "Warning" but your post fills me with more courage for this phone than I've felt recently. I get the feeling that this is the right phone for me, and I'll tell you why. Two years ago, before buying my beloved GALAXY S II, I read countless reviews, and they all praised the phone, although nearly every review slated its plastic shell as low quality, ugly, etc. Despite this so-called shortcoming, I couldn't fall out of love with the S II and bought one. I have not regretted a single day of it. The 930 fills me with that same magic feeling that the S II did before I bought it, so despite some of the negative press it's been getting, I can't really help but want one, and even though there are probably other phones that might be faster or have brighter screens etc, the Lumia 930 simply seems to be what my heart wants.

Anyway, concerning the battery, what kind of life have you been getting?

Stephen Lynam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I have found the battery to be slightly better than what was in the 925. I'm getting over a full days use which is good taking into account I've been messing around with it more as its a new phone..
It's excellent

murrayalex

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
No offence but I find it hard to take seriously the opinion of someone who thinks the thickness of the 930 is comparable to that of an iPhone, unless of course you mean the iPhone 3G. The 930 is considerably thicker and heavier than an iPhone 5, not to mention larger which perhaps you also didn't notice.
I'm glad you've got a fully functioning 930, it's good to know Nokia can get the odd fully functioning device out through the door. Mine, as mentioned elsewhere, creaks like buggery which, for a sealed device with no removable battery cover, is quite an achievement on their part.
My Apple iPhone "******" friends in contrast, have been silently sniggering at the less than premium feel of my 930. Ah well, back to Android...

Liam Bryce

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Wow, thanks Liam. I feared the worst when I saw the word "Warning" but your post fills me with more courage for this phone than I've felt recently. I get the feeling that this is the right phone for me, and I'll tell you why. Two years ago, before buying my beloved GALAXY S II, I read countless reviews, and they all praised the phone, although nearly every review slated its plastic shell as low quality, ugly, etc. Despite this so-called shortcoming, I couldn't fall out of love with the S II and bought one. I have not regretted a single day of it. The 930 fills me with that same magic feeling that the S II did before I bought it, so despite some of the negative press it's been getting, I can't really help but want one, and even though there are probably other phones that might be faster or have brighter screens etc, the Lumia 930 simply seems to be what my heart wants.

Anyway, concerning the battery, what kind of life have you been getting?

First full day with pretty heave use I ended the day on 52%. Second day 68%. Its really quite impressive. Reviews of the 930 have all been pretty positive. However press coverage is poor because it has no American release. I'd certainly recommend it.

Last edited:

Liam Bryce

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
No offence but I find it hard to take seriously the opinion of someone who thinks the thickness of the 930 is comparable to that of an iPhone, unless of course you mean the iPhone 3G. The 930 is considerably thicker and heavier than an iPhone 5, not to mention larger which perhaps you also didn't notice.
I'm glad you've got a fully functioning 930, it's good to know Nokia can get the odd fully functioning device out through the door. Mine, as mentioned elsewhere, creaks like buggery which, for a sealed device with no removable battery cover, is quite an achievement on their part.
My Apple iPhone "******" friends in contrast, have been silently sniggering at the less than premium feel of my 930. Ah well, back to Android...

Really. You have issues with your 930? Well that sucks, lucky for you from your post history you have a: Z2, 925, Ativ S, 710, Omnia W as well as a HTC Herald to fall back on.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

I also find it too expensive. I think i'll still get one but im waiting on a reasonably priced green one to be available. Could get a white or black one now but I want green! I really don't care about the SoC at this point as long as its at least a snapdragon 800 or newer and not a 600 (some of the previous flagships) or less (400 is low midrange, 200 is low end) I'd like an 805 but frankly if you get something now might as well deal with it until the 808 and 810 SoC's are released for next year (64bits of uselessness so it'll be newer than that fancy shmancy 805)

You should found a club, "Lumia 930 price haters - here is the place for your complaint".

shaun tipson

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I had to take mine back to clove . Getting very hot more so then I would consider normal. Getting a full refund. They said in email that they had received some more units with the same problem.
So now in two minds do I try another or don't care much about android.
Or go back to an apple iphone
Help

paperchasin

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would release an Unlocked North America version compatible with T-Mobile so that I can experience some of the problems myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo