Warning to prospective buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
No offence but I find it hard to take seriously the opinion of someone who thinks the thickness of the 930 is comparable to that of an iPhone, unless of course you mean the iPhone 3G. The 930 is considerably thicker and heavier than an iPhone 5, not to mention larger which perhaps you also didn't notice.
I'm glad you've got a fully functioning 930, it's good to know Nokia can get the odd fully functioning device out through the door. Mine, as mentioned elsewhere, creaks like buggery which, for a sealed device with no removable battery cover, is quite an achievement on their part.
My Apple iPhone "******" friends in contrast, have been silently sniggering at the less than premium feel of my 930. Ah well, back to Android...

An apple ****** who never touched a Lumia device in disguise.

Br1anK

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Just an update, I have 4 of the Lumia 930's set-up now.
If you do the set-up without charging at the same time the phone hardly heats up at all.

No problems to report thus far.

Kevin747

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I researched and bought a 930 the day it was released. It is a fantastic, high quality phone. Only slightly larger physically than my iPhone 4 but the screen is so much bigger and looks spectacular. Everyone who sees it is impressed. With MS Office, the great camera and the off-line GPS it is such a great phone for mobile business users. I was lost in Brisbane earlier this week then went to US (Atlanta) and got lost again. The GPS saved me every time. Really works well, but slides around the dash a bit. Have installed all of the iPhone apps I was using except one that did not have Win8 version. Had a 3 hour continuous Skype call on cellular data and battery dropped to 50%, which is not unreasonable. Battery fine otherwise. 4G network works great. Only regrets are that I can't find any cases, an instruction manual would be nice and that Apple make it so difficult to swap my calendar and messaging data. All they let you swap is the contacts. So glad to be off the Apple as it is so proprietary with small screen, lousy camera and not good for business use. The accountants have definitely taken over Apple since Steve Jobs died and now they are just maximizing profit to milk the ****** market with a circa-2009 recycled product.

Kevin747

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I am in Atlanta now with my 930 on AT&T network. It works fine. I bought an unlocked version in Sydney outright for $679 from Allphones. I can't see why it wouldn't work on T-Mobile because they use GSM SIM cards same as AT&T.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Only regrets are that I can't find any cases, an instruction manual would be nice and that Apple make it so difficult to swap my calendar and messaging data.
Welcome aboard.
Try searching for Lumia Icon cases. Since its same as 930, I think the cases should fit in nicely.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Each to their own. If your happy with a phone that is going to be end of line faster than the 1020 was then great. I think its the tech urge in all of us to get the latest thing, and then to defend that decision at any cost as we don't want to feel like we made a wrong choice. I get all the arguments pro and con regarding the 930. Yes its the latest WP if you want the best today. Yes its too expensive for what it is. Yes WP doesn't need latest hardware for smooth experience. Yes..yes..yes

For me and many others though its just not worth getting into a 2 year contract with this old technology. Just watch what happens in September when the iPhone 6 is out. The same people defending it today (probably due to purchasing it) will feel differently then. 12 months is a LOOOOOONG time in the world of technology and THATS the difference between the iPhone 6 and 930. However.... there is hope!!!

MS will be unifying platform and releasing its OWN technology next year, not the half hearted 930 from Nokia where development halted due to takeover. How will you feel if you have to have another 12 months with 930 when the latest from MS and WP will be much much better at the same price if only you waited a few months. I say get the 930 if your sim only as you can sell the phone, if your in a 24 month contract its worth waiting or if you need the latest and greatest and just don't care then get it now too :)

Last edited:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why people are hating on it so much. Even my Apple ****** friends are impressed by my phone, a few are even considering switching.

If you had gotten one of the apparently many faulty units, you would understand.
We're not hating on the phone. But it's god damn frustrating that we pay a premium price for a flagship and it comes plagued with problems. It's just not acceptable. If this was a 530, I'd understand it. It's a cheap phone. But a flagship? Misaligned cameras and headphone jacks, Clear Black that isn't clear black, terrible low light photo quality, abnormal heating upon set up, de-coloured screens... Sorry, it's just NOT acceptable.

I still like the phone a lot. But after having to send mine to Nokia barely 1 week after I got it certainly leaves a sour taste. If Nokia hadn't left the phone business, I'd be seriously considering not buying another phone to them while course wasn't changed. Now I'm just contemplating what Sony does and at which point will I just switch to Sony. It's really really really frustrating and an utter disappointment.

(Note: I know you'll all think I'm just hating on Microsoft, but the truth of the matter is, I've never had any problems with Nokia phones until the moment they got Windows Phone in them. I've had 4 high end WP/flagships: L800, L920, L1020 and L930. The L1020 was the only one that didn't need to go to Nokia a few weeks after I got it because of hardware problems.)

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If you had gotten one of the apparently many faulty units, you would understand.
We're not hating on the phone. But it's god damn frustrating that we pay a premium price for a flagship and it comes plagued with problems. It's just not acceptable. If this was a 530, I'd understand it. It's a cheap phone. But a flagship? Misaligned cameras and headphone jacks, Clear Black that isn't clear black, terrible low light photo quality, abnormal heating upon set up, de-coloured screens... Sorry, it's just NOT acceptable.

I still like the phone a lot. But after having to send mine to Nokia barely 1 week after I got it certainly leaves a sour taste. If Nokia hadn't left the phone business, I'd be seriously considering not buying another phone to them while course wasn't changed. Now I'm just contemplating what Sony does and at which point will I just switch to Sony. It's really really really frustrating and an utter disappointment.

(Note: I know you'll all think I'm just hating on Microsoft, but the truth of the matter is, I've never had any problems with Nokia phones until the moment they got Windows Phone in them. I've had 4 high end WP/flagships: L800, L920, L1020 and L930. The L1020 was the only one that didn't need to go to Nokia a few weeks after I got it because of hardware problems.)

That's one of the reasons Microsoft spent 7 billion. Now they are at work so OS works seamlessly with the hardware. However the OS is going through a LOT of change with next release, I expect a few bugs in the new phones when released next year but the direction MS are going is great, we will see a tight OS running like butter on top hardware next year. All the change is good. Unfortunately those of us who are coming up to renewing contracts are stuck in the middle of this transition just like MS are. I guess some people will leave, some of those will come back, some will wait it out as they can see what MS are doing and some will buy the old Nokia developed devices like 930, 1525 if it sees light of day.

Mazinger

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
To the OP with regards to Cortana, if you wanna try it out and see if it works well with your accent, you can have it working now.

I don't have an aussie accent having grown up overseas but Cortana works fine with my standard Australian 930 from Harvey Norman.

To use it just go to settings > language > add US English Language Pack then go to settings> region > change to united states then restart. That's it! When the phone boots, Cortana is ready and working. No ill effect of having US as a region yet for me except that I get the US app store which is in a way ok for Netflix etc.
If you want to download aussie apps just revert back to Australia, restart, install your app, and go back to US and restart again to get Cortana back.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the reasons Microsoft spent 7 billion. Now they are at work so OS works seamlessly with the hardware. However the OS is going through a LOT of change with next release, I expect a few bugs in the new phones when released next year but the direction MS are going is great, we will see a tight OS running like butter on top hardware next year. All the change is good. Unfortunately those of us who are coming up to renewing contracts are stuck in the middle of this transition just like MS are. I guess some people will leave, some of those will come back, some will wait it out as they can see what MS are doing and some will buy the old Nokia developed devices like 930, 1525 if it sees light of day.

With due respect, you don't believe that, do you? Microsoft never needed hardware to make OSs work well. They spent 7 billions because they had no other choice. It was either that or watch Nokia - the sole actor in the WP play - go Android.

At any rate, I was thinking about overall quality standards at least on Lumia phones. But yeah, I actually only bought the 930 because it's Nokia's last phone. No other reason, really. Which is why all this frustration with it will probably lead me to replace it that soon. I didn't buy it because I think it's the last coke in the desert. =P

But yes, let's see what Microsoft does, what happens what doesn't. I'm European so I don't have contracts with anyone. I change my phone whenever I please. It's a freedom I will never abdicate precisely because of things like these.

anism

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Are people really hating on it? I think it's a beautiful phone with an amazing hardware build.

The only problem why I would never have bought it: It was on the market for almost half a year under the name Icon, the SoC is in phones for 9 months that cost almost half as much as the 930. And still, the 930 is priced in the range of current Android high-end devices. It's just too expensive in my eyes.
I understand your point of having the greatest soc on market. But even 520 works great on WP OS so what's your point

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
No offence but I find it hard to take seriously the opinion of someone who thinks the thickness of the 930 is comparable to that of an iPhone, unless of course you mean the iPhone 3G. The 930 is considerably thicker and heavier than an iPhone 5, not to mention larger which perhaps you also didn't notice.
I'm glad you've got a fully functioning 930, it's good to know Nokia can get the odd fully functioning device out through the door. Mine, as mentioned elsewhere, creaks like buggery which, for a sealed device with no removable battery cover, is quite an achievement on their part.
My Apple iPhone "******" friends in contrast, have been silently sniggering at the less than premium feel of my 930. Ah well, back to Android...

Personally when I hold a iPhone it feels like it was designed for a woman's hands. Too small and thin for me. Nokias always feel solid and like you own a quality piece of hardware which I like. Obviously you are a fanbou and doubt you have owned many Nokia phones, probably just mull over forums. Like everything 9 out of 10 people unhappy will tell everyone and 1-2 out of 10 will tell 10 people about a good experience. Have owned 9-10 nokias and they have all been great phones and dependable. No issues. Besides what about the reports of literally 75% of iPhone owners having broken screens that came out last year.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I researched and bought a 930 the day it was released. It is a fantastic, high quality phone. Only slightly larger physically than my iPhone 4 but the screen is so much bigger and looks spectacular. Everyone who sees it is impressed. With MS Office, the great camera and the off-line GPS it is such a great phone for mobile business users. I was lost in Brisbane earlier this week then went to US (Atlanta) and got lost again. The GPS saved me every time. Really works well, but slides around the dash a bit. Have installed all of the iPhone apps I was using except one that did not have Win8 version. Had a 3 hour continuous Skype call on cellular data and battery dropped to 50%, which is not unreasonable. Battery fine otherwise. 4G network works great. Only regrets are that I can't find any cases, an instruction manual would be nice and that Apple make it so difficult to swap my calendar and messaging data. All they let you swap is the contacts. So glad to be off the Apple as it is so proprietary with small screen, lousy camera and not good for business use. The accountants have definitely taken over Apple since Steve Jobs died and now they are just maximizing profit to milk the ****** market with a circa-2009 recycled product.

Here, this might help you in regards to your calendar and messaging data:

Switching from iPhone to Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Working on the go is a breeze with Windows Phone, there are some quirks that you need to know - mainly you can attach documents from only the office hub (via tap and hold on desired document then share) or use a file a manager like files (first party app from Microsoft) or a third party one like Pocket Explorer or Aerize Explorer and use "share" to attach multiple documents. However there is currently no way to attach multiple documents to an email chain natively, the only way round that is to use onedrive and share a link to the folder with the documents uploaded to said folder or use apps like MetroMail.

Last edited:

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Personally when I hold a iPhone it feels like it was designed for a woman's hands. Too small and thin for me. Nokias always feel solid and like you own a quality piece of hardware which I like. Obviously you are a fanbou and doubt you have owned many Nokia phones, probably just mull over forums. Like everything 9 out of 10 people unhappy will tell everyone and 1-2 out of 10 will tell 10 people about a good experience. Have owned 9-10 nokias and they have all been great phones and dependable. No issues. Besides what about the reports of literally 75% of iPhone owners having broken screens that came out last year.

Why can't people on this forum take criticism of Windows Phone without resorting too "you must be an iPhone ******"..

I agree with the poster, the Lumia 930 (which i own, and have owned a 920 last year) is way to thick and chunky for a top end smartphone in 2014..Look at HTC One M8, iPhone 5s even the Sony Z2..much thinner yet look great with design

Why can't Nokia/MSFT figure this out? Its a device that you hold in your hands!

those who own a 930/920/1020/1520 can you honestly say after holding for a few minutes your hands dont feel fatigued?

I do want a bigger iPhone and i have already decided to sell the 930 as not only does the hardware not match my expectations (love the display however, despite my purple hue) and the OS is lacking some key services/apps that iOS has.

Also i would love to get your stats on the 75% iPhone owners have broken screens..do you realise how many people that would be, literally 100 million customers or more..You don't need to make stuff up like this all smartphones can be damaged, there is even a 930 poster in here who damaged his phone. I can now say almost 50% of 930 owners break their smartphones based on that tiny bit of evidence.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I had the 920. As a Nokia and WP lover I can say with pure mind, that it was heave and cluncky. Seriously not very elegant design.

I switched to Ativ-S. I dont like Sammy as a company too much, but this device is hands down better than the L920 was. Better design, lighter and sleeker. Way better batterytime. Only thing I miss is the Lumias camera, but obviously I can live without it as I am now with Ativ over a year later. Over a year, thats a very long time for me with a device and I dont think I need to change either. I hoped to go for the L930, but no micro sd support and what Ive read, the heavy design (havent had one in hand yet) I probably will pass.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Anybody who seriously can't hold a Nokia in their hand without getting fatigue or it feeling too chunky then you need to stop holding something else in your hand as this may be causing too much muscle stress!!

There's plenty choice out there for moving to another platform and loads of other devices.

My 930/1020/1520 are superb in the hand, I prefer my 1520 most of the time due to size of my hands. The 930 is a great phone which using one handed is very fast and fluid and even though it's old tech does exactly what most people want in a phone.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I understand your point of having the greatest soc on market. But even 520 works great on WP OS so what's your point

The price. It's not about the phone, it certainly performes very well, it's about the hardware components that are pretty old and should therefore be cheaper.

cjono

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Anybody who seriously can't hold a Nokia in their hand without getting fatigue or it feeling too chunky then you need to stop holding something else in your hand as this may be causing too much muscle stress!!

There's plenty choice out there for moving to another platform and loads of other devices.

My 930/1020/1520 are superb in the hand, I prefer my 1520 most of the time due to size of my hands. The 930 is a great phone which using one handed is very fast and fluid and even though it's old tech does exactly what most people want in a phone.

Well i haven't found it comfortable..as someone who owned and used the HTC M7, nexus 4 and an S4 they where way more light and comfortable.

Typical WP users have to resort to name calling or slamming someone who finds fault with their products.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Well i haven't found it comfortable..as someone who owned and used the HTC M7, nexus 4 and an S4 they where way more light and comfortable.

Typical WP users have to resort to name calling or slamming someone who finds fault with their products.

The comment was meant tongue in cheek. It's a pity you haven't found it comfortable compared to an android phone but I know plenty females with smaller hands who use 1020's as their daily drivers and don't have any problem with them.

My Apologies if you thought I was slamming anyone who finds a fault with the product but considering I have an iPhone 5s and a GS5 as well i'm not your typical WP user!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos