New wireless chargers DC-50 and DT 601 are rubbish!

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello

I am using new wireless chargers that came with my Lumia 930 and they both suck. When I am trying to charge while plugged in DC-50 keeps stopping the charging process from time to time during charging making the phone really hot and the little one DT 601 makes it hard to place the phone, before anything it happens to both my 930 and old 920. Funny enough my old DT 900 that came with 920 still rocks and charges everything perfectly. I am wondering if anybody has similar issues?

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The wireless charger supplied with the 930 is indeed a massive piece of crap. I don't know how it made it though some sort of design quality standard. There is no indication on the 930 where the charging coil is and you cant see the microscopic white LED on the charger itself if the Gods have blessed you with actually hitting the sweet charging spot. So you wake your phone to check and it knocks it out of charging. Absolute rubbish. They should have made it the same shape as the 930 with maybe a glowing LED effect under the unit itself. Compared to the one supplied free with the 920, it is a massive step back. The older charger literally allowed you to drop your phone on it as casually as you liked and guaranteed you a charge.

I was actually holding out hope for the one with the wireless bundle, but now you have me worried! Luckily I still have two of the older ones packed away somewhere.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Apparently according to the leaflet in the box DC-50 switches itself off when it gets too hot. However for some reason with my 920 it gets hot really quickly and keeps starting/stopping the charging process all the time. Works a little bit better with 930 tough as I can't see that problem and the size is decent, I will have to play with them more often to learn how they behave.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
The wireless charger supplied with the 930 is indeed a massive piece of crap. I don't know how it made it though some sort of design quality standard. There is no indication on the 930 where the charging coil is and you cant see the microscopic white LED on the charger itself if the Gods have blessed you with actually hitting the sweet charging spot. So you wake your phone to check and it knocks it out of charging. Absolute rubbish. They should have made it the same shape as the 930 with maybe a glowing LED effect under the unit itself. Compared to the one supplied free with the 920, it is a massive step back. The older charger literally allowed you to drop your phone on it as casually as you liked and guaranteed you a charge.

I was actually holding out hope for the one with the wireless bundle, but now you have me worried! Luckily I still have two of the older ones packed away somewhere.

What an earth are you on about? There is a leaflet in the box of the phone stating where the NFC Area is and where the Wireless Charging area is. Also put the phone on the thing sideways! So that the little light will be unobstructed by the phone (I thought that would be common sense tbh).

Finally just put the phone on the charging plate so that the two Nokia logos line up (roughly doesn't have to be perfect)

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I have to say I'm also disappointed with the DC-50 it only charges my 930 by 35-40% at best, which I can't understand when it is rated at 2400mh the same as the 930 battery capacity. No wonder Nokia are giving this away as a FREE accessory!!

David Horn

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I couldn't understand the point of the DC-50 when it was announced. Qi charging is notoriously inefficient so your 35-40% is pretty much as expected. You can use the DC-50 as a normal wireless charger though as an alternative to the dinky one that comes with the phone.

(I shall also admit that I never thought to put the phone on it sideways.)

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The cheap ebay ones are great - Qi Wireless Charger Transmitter Pad for Google Nexus 4 5 7 Nokia Lumia 920 820 | eBay. This one is very slightly larger than the 930 in surface area so you can never fail to position it correctly. At ?7.59 inc shipping it's a bargain!
I've got one of these which I leave at work.... I have to say I don't like it - yes it charges, but the phone gets really hot when used on one of these, whereas it doesn't on the OEM chargers.

The original 920 charger is probably the best one though - it's my most used one.

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
What an earth are you on about? There is a leaflet in the box of the phone stating where the NFC Area is and where the Wireless Charging area is. Also put the phone on the thing sideways! So that the little light will be unobstructed by the phone (I thought that would be common sense tbh).

Finally just put the phone on the charging plate so that the two Nokia logos line up (roughly doesn't have to be perfect)

How completely unintuitive. The original one worked and functioned perfectly. I've never had to read a manual for something that should be pretty foolproof. I should be able to drop my phone on it and have 100% charge a few hours later, again, like the original. The new one is a massive step backwards.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
How completely unintuitive. The original one worked and functioned perfectly. I've never had to read a manual for something that should be pretty foolproof. I should be able to drop my phone on it and have 100% charge a few hours later, again, like the original. The new one is a massive step backwards.

Well I haven't ever had a problem charging my phone with the supplied charging pad and neither has my mum who's hopeless when it comes to technology but she seems able to do it. I don't quite understand the confusion over how to place the phone :s

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed both the wireless chargers will charge my Lumia 930 even when it has the Nokia CP 637 case on.

I did notice the DT 601 only work's with the Nokia wall plug, If I stick it in a desktop USB socket or use the wall plug from my old Sony Ericsson mobile all I get it the white led flashing & no attempt at charging as there isn't enough power to activate the charger plate.

The DC 50 is ok, it's a bit gutless unless plugged in to the main's, wireless charging the phone without the DC 50 unit itself being plugged in really drains the DC 50 battery & the phone only gets to around 40% top's even on a full charge of the DC 50 battery.

The DC 50 seem's more like a portable battery pack for emergency wired charging & the wireless function is for when the DC 50 is itself plugged in.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The DC 50 seem's more like a portable battery pack for emergency wired charging & the wireless function is for when the DC 50 is itself plugged in.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but as far as I know you cannot use the DC 50 to charge your phone via USB cable.

I have been using DC 50 as my charging plate and had no problems with it, even if the phone is not perfectly lined up with it. I do keep it plugged in all the time though and the only thing I worry about is whether that'll degrade the internal battery.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but as far as I know you cannot use the DC 50 to charge your phone via USB cable.

I have been using DC 50 as my charging plate and had no problems with it, even if the phone is not perfectly lined up with it. I do keep it plugged in all the time though and the only thing I worry about is whether that'll degrade the internal battery.

He is saying that you can use the DC50 more as a portable wireless charger when plugged into the wall or a usb socket itself rather then a portable battery charger.

Senordingdong2K

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm finding the dt601 a massive disappointment. It's very finicky which I think detracts from the whole drop down-pick up concept. It also feels like a step down from the dt900 which I continue to use successfully.
What also bugs me is that when its plugged in, it emits a very faint beeping noise, so it has been evicted from the bedroom.
I'm thinking about getting rid of it and buying smithy dt900 instead.

The dc50, I have to admit I'm finding quite good.
I think it missed it's charge so I have found that putting it into sleep mode after it had been charged helps to keep a good charged in it for days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss