More disillusioned every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Don't hold your breath. I reckon the reason for the non-removable battery is to push most people into buying a new phone when the battery dies.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Browsing the web on a device with an OLED or AMOLED screen is murder on its battery. Most websites are white, and all of those pixels have to be lit, and consume the most battery. The darker the pixels, the less battery it consumes, the colour black doesn't consume any battery at all because the pixels don't have to be lit. One of my Android phones has an OLED display, and I use Firefox with it because there is an option to have web pages display black, with the text being white. It nearly doubles my battery life.

Devices using an LCD display have a backlight that's always on, and changing the colour of what's being displayed will not gain you any more battery life. But if you're using OLED or AMOLED, do everything you can to keep the colours dark.

mrdoubleb

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Don't hold your breath. I reckon the reason for the non-removable battery is to push most people into buying a new phone when the battery dies.
I have been using a Lumia 800 for 2,5 years now, obviously charging it every day. The battery hasn't died on it yet, in fact it still gets me through they day. I am sure there is some degradation, I have charged it at least 800 times, but I haven't noticed it, even though I browse and listen to music about 2-3 hours every day over 3G and wifi.

In any case a non-removable battery does not mean you have to throw the phone away, it's just not user replaceable. Knowing local service prices and battery costs, I'd say it would cost me 25-30 EUR the most to get it replaced.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been using a Lumia 800 for 2,5 years now, obviously charging it every day. The battery hasn't died on it yet, in fact it still gets me through they day. I am sure there is some degradation, I have charged it at least 800 times, but I haven't noticed it, even though I browse and listen to music about 2-3 hours every day over 3G and wifi.

In any case a non-removable battery does not mean you have to throw the phone away, it's just not user replaceable. Knowing local service prices and battery costs, I'd say it would cost me 25-30 EUR the most to get it replaced.

True, but not if a 2,5 year old phone is only worth 25-30 EUR. A lot of people resell on ebay and so on but you're not going to get much if you have to replace the battery, or sell it with a dead battery. This is more of an issue with those using lower value phones but 2-3 year old handsets of any type don't resell for an awful lot so the last thing you want to be doing is spending that much to replace the battery.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 930, and the battery life is pretty good. Mine's on 49% having taken it off charging this morning at 8 (it's 8:30pm for me), used it a fair bit (internet browsing mostly, streaming music for a bit, and a couple of calls- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on permanently).

It was rubbish initially, but it was rubbish initially on app my previous phones, until it's had a couple of full charge/discharge cycles. It was also getting hot at first, but now only gets hot when I'm charging it wirelessly (as expected). There is a slight purple cast over the whole screen when on low brightness (in the dark) though, but that disappears with higher brightness. The max brightness isn't bad either, although not as good as an LCD screen, but because of the ClearBlack tech the screen is very good in sunlight.

The XBox Music app is awful, however. That's definitely true. I used the Windows Phone 8 for Desktop app to sync stuff over. Still don't know what was wrong with using the Zune program...

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
2 hours surfing is a lot you know!

Not on my Moto G it isn't. I've been using it for 2 hours 40 minutes surfing and the battery is still reading 68%. I haven't had a phone for years that is as bad as this Nokia, even allowing several days for it to bed in.

Overnight it lost 13% and that was doing nothing, but again I only use it in the same way as I have used my Moto G and everything else and I can't remember owning anything else that dropped more than a couple of percent overnight.

I have a Sony Tablet Z that has been left on idle for 4 days and is still showing 84% - that's just 3% more drain than the Nokia lost overnight. Both the Moto and the Sony still notify me of incoming messages and emails.

It's being replaced tomorrow anyway.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Not on my Moto G it isn't. I've been using it for 2 hours 40 minutes surfing and the battery is still reading 68%. I haven't had a phone for years that is as bad as this Nokia, even allowing several days for it to bed in.

Overnight it lost 13% and that was doing nothing, but again I only use it in the same way as I have used my Moto G and everything else and I can't remember owning anything else that dropped more than a couple of percent overnight.

I have a Sony Tablet Z that has been left on idle for 4 days and is still showing 84% - that's just 3% more drain than the Nokia lost overnight. Both the Moto and the Sony still notify me of incoming messages and emails.

It's being replaced tomorrow anyway.

Maybe you don't know, but Moto G it's one of the best smarts for web browsing ever. I don't know why, but it is. And 930 it's not good, just average.

Motorola Moto G battery life test - GSMArena Blog

Maybe you can try put your 930 in battery save mode, only for tests.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Everything up until the N9 had a removable battery, and then they went with the "plank" design and it was all over. The N9 design language has been around for too long I think.. I hope we can something different soon. The Icon/930 are the first phones since then to have a slightly different design, but they still resemble the original design to a certain extend.

So maybe once they go in a different direction we can get back the back cover designs, or even something like the N8 where you could pull the battery from the bottom.

Considering how obsessed they are with following what Apple do, I doubt that they will buil a phone with a removable back cover anytime soon. Maybe if we get an iPhone like that they might consider the idea...

I think the last smartphone from Nokia to have a removable battery was the 808...

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you don't know, but Moto G it's one of the best smarts for web browsing ever. I don't know why, but it is. And 930 it's not good, just average.

Motorola Moto G battery life test - GSMArena Blog

Maybe you can try put your 930 in battery save mode, only for tests.

It was in battery save mode. As mentioned a few times now, it's being replaced. Should have been today but I missed the courier so it will be tomorrow now.

Moto G is fantastic for a phone that cost a quarter of the price of the 930, I only bought it as a stop-gap when I broke my HTC One a few months ago (which was also pretty good on battery life). I wasn't expecting miracles from a phone with only a 2400 mAh battery but mine was dire, definitely faulty.

Generally speaking It shouldn't be too bad on an AMOLED screen combined with the Windows OS because a lot of the screens on the OS are heavy on black. The screen uses most of the battery and with less pixels being lit on these black screens, which isn't the case with android or iOS, it should be better rather than worse than average in theory. But I'll settle for average.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
​I've got a 930, and the battery life is pretty good. Mine's on 34% having taken it off charging this morning at 7 (it's 7:30pm for me), used it a fair bit (bit of browsing, a couple of hours of music, some photos, and a couple of calls- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on permanently).

It was rubbish initially, but it was rubbish initially on all my previous phones, until it's had a couple of full charge/discharge cycles. It was also getting hot at first, but now only gets hot when I'm charging it wirelessly (as expected). There is a slight purple cast over the whole screen when on low brightness (in the dark) though, but that disappears with higher brightness. The max brightness isn't bad either, although not as good as an LCD screen, but because of the ClearBlack tech the screen is very good in sunlight.

The XBox Music app is awful, however. That's definitely true. I used the Windows Phone 8 for Desktop app to sync stuff over. Still don't know what was wrong with using the Zune program...

Last edited:

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Replacement (finally) arrived this morning. No pink/purple hue this time and the screen brightness is better.

The battery arrived with 38% on it. So far it's been on for 2 hours and spent just over an hour setting it up then transferring contacts, lots of photos and music etc. via Bluetooth. Battery is still reading 29%. That's waaaaaaaaay better than the last one.

I do love this phone and I never really regret a purchase, but I have to be honest, having gone back to my Moto G for a day I am asking myself if it was really worth spending 3.5 times the amount on the N930, although if anything it proves what good value for money the Moto G is and you have to ask yourself just how overpriced much of the other stuff on the market really is.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I used the Moto G for the past few months and found it very fluid in use. Whatever you think of it or want to call it the point is I got done what I needed to get done just as easily as I have with this Windows phone for a quarter of the price. As much as I enjoy my 930 it isn't worth four times the price of the Moto G.

Paul Lindqvist

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You missed the point.... similar specced Android phone to the Lumia 630 is not the Moto G of course. I mean the Moto G is no doubt one of the best "budget" phones spec wise on the Android system and unlike the rest it actually upgrades to Kitkat, though not smoothly for everyone.

Comparing the Moto G to the Lumia 930 and claim it's not worth the price is of course highly subjective.

The problem with Android is that they can't manage their eco system, it's to big and to unwieldy.

Having so many different hardware platforms and "custom" version of the OS makes for a very unreliable and inconsistent user experience of their OS.

Windows Phone is in my opinon at this cross road, i hope that they lock their system down and don't go down the path where they want to put WP on a zillion different phones.

Last edited:

Paul Lindqvist

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
As for comparing OS, i have no desire to praise one OS over the other just because of it. I simply comparing based on my own experience and for my own use. (and in this case my kids use as well)

Just because i work 99% with Apple products doesn't mean i think everything they put out there is gold.. i mean the Iphone 5C what a joke, got it for the wife and returned it the same day. The sound quality is terrible, it was actually my wife (who couldn't care less about the latest and greatest) who noticed it.

I had no intention to buy a windows phone for my self, until i got a peek at Windows Phone 8.1 when i bought the Lumia 630 for my daughter. But as i pretty much had made up my mind to skip one iteration of Iphone it certainly was a attractive change.

The reason i'm skipping the next iphone is that it most likely will be a new screen and a new OS, with that will come some challenges so i'm gonna wait for the 2:e gen iphone with the larger screen and new iOS.

I might even continue on WP depending on how Microsoft play their hand and how the OS evolves.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
You missed the point.... similar specced Android phone to the Lumia 630 is not the Moto G of course. I mean the Moto G is no doubt one of the best "budget" phones spec wise on the Android system and unlike the rest it actually upgrades to Kitkat, though not smoothly for everyone.

No, you missed the point. The point I made was that buck for buck, the Moto G is much better value than the 930 (not 630) no matter which way you look at it. When you look at the quality of the Moto G and what it does for the money (regardless of any technical details) and then look at the quality of the 930 and what it does for the money, there is no way that the 930 is 3.5 to 4 times better than the Moto G. That's all I'm saying, nothing more, nothing less.

similar specced Android phone to the Lumia 630 is not the Moto G of course...
That's correct, it isn't, although actually the two are not that far apart in terms of spec - a higher res screen on the Lumia might have swung a few more sales - but it's a similar price and that's what most people consider particularly at the lower end of the market - "What am I getting in terms of bang per buck for my money" - People look at things like the better screen, the memory card slot, more RAM and so on and in that respect the Moto G is the better phone and that's what sells, whatever merits the 630 or WP may have.

Incidentally the Moto G wasn't an upgrade to KitKat, it was released with KitKat on board. The upgrade was to v4.4.4 - I had no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb