From HTC One m8 to 930

Velikib

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I like to customize my devices. That's why I use Nova Prime.

1520 is a great device no doubt but i miss a few things on WP.
Swift keys, Tasker, G+...

KPAkiller

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm on a Lumia 930. It's beautiful. It seems to be the only phone with proper manual camera settings I.e Nokia camera / pro shot w/ shutter speed control / manual focus..

I've been an android fan for years but I wanted to try something completely different. This is different.

I do plan on buying the nexus 6 simfree 32gb as a secondary device. Just for fun.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I am from Slovenija and SwiftKey is in my language.

Exactly, this is the biggest problem of Word Flow, it's not in all languages, meanwhile on Android..... ;)
@Velikib :I wanted to write the same thing but didn't expect that this will be written by someone from Slovenia :D There are only 2 millions of us and looks like we are still well present on this forum.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I tried doing back to Android with an m8. I quickly traded it on here... The camera was nigh unusable, the phone was not user friendly, contract syncing was dismal, there were no comparable keyboards and the phone quickly became a chore.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok after a year break from Windows Phone I'm back on it with Nokia Lumia 930 WP 8.1 update 1!

It's been fun using the HTC One M8 with android, IMHO a great handset just let down by android.

I think with 8.1 the OS has finally matured and Cortana has huge potential could be even better than Google now. For me Windows Phone is still the fastest and fluid OS of the three OS's that I have used. Granted its different, the live tiles are either you love it or hate it but that's what I like about WP it is so different from iOS or android.

Design is subjective but I actually like the Lumia 930 compared to 925 or 920 my biggest gripe is the battery life is very poor I get about 14-15 hrs usage on moderate use (9hrs heavy use) which is not acceptable now days on a flagship handset, my HTC One m8 would give me 20hrs on heavy use or 26 hrs on moderate use. I think the heavy battery drain is down to 930 using Snapdragon 800 they should have used Snapdragon 801, anyway I will live with this issue until HTC launch One m8 with WP 8.1 later on the year.

I went the other way round (Lumia 930 -> M8) after I had gone through 3 930s, all affected by various hardware issues.

The M8 is dramatically faster (app load times, fluidity when scrolling, keyboard / typing speed / autocorrection speed), much better built (no squeaking back plate, for instance), has much better speakers, and doesn't lack all the apps (Feedly, dictionaries in the Kindle app, Sonos, Netatmo, dropbox and many, many more), has a dramatically nicer screen without any issues whatsoever, works with my car's (2013 VW Golf Variant) bluetooth system etc. etc. I'm no real fan of Android - it works, it's customisable, but it doesn't wow me and I greatly prefer WP8 but overall, the M8 is the best mobile device on the market and beats the 930 in so many ways, it's not even in the same universe.

So just from my personal experience, I just, for the life of me, can't see how you like the M8 less than the 930.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I tried doing back to Android with an m8. I quickly traded it on here... The camera was nigh unusable, the phone was not user friendly, contract syncing was dismal, there were no comparable keyboards and the phone quickly became a chore.

I can see why people don't like Android - I don't like it a lot myself. However, the rest of your comments aren't what I'm experiencing. The M8's camera lacks just one thing: resolution. This can be an issue if you print your photos. However, it has near instant autofocus. Where the Lumia 930 literally misses every single shot of my kids playing, the M8 keeps up without a hitch. The photos are pleasing, don't have much noise and the camera features completely destroy the 930's. What do you mean by contact syncing being a problem? I added my Exchange account to the M8 and had my contacts over within 10 seconds. And there are about 100 different keyboards for Android. The standard WP8 keyboard just plain sucks.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Plus Windows Phone has this one massive multitasking issue where users will often be promoted with a "resuming" dialogue, does this occur on Lumia 930?

Yes. Point in case: I listen to Spotify on my car's audio system via bluetooth. I go to work and return to the car in the evening - the M8 reconnects and starts playing where it left off 10 hours earlier. The Lumia 930 reconnected and did nothing. I take out the phone and Spotify is "resuming" - then I manually need to hit the play button and it'll start playing from the beginning of the playlist.

This doesn't only happen when the time between playing sessions is 10 minutes. It happens the very instance I turn off the car - if I turn it on 10 seconds later, it's the same schtick.

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The reason I say One m8 is let down by android is because every now and then it will lag, freeze to the point I will need to reboot

My 930 had that as a feature - it just auto-rebooted at random, so I didn't have to manually do it. And honestly - I'm not trolling here, I like WP8 as much as the next guy on this forum, but I've had the M8 for three weeks now and it has never even stuttered - it's been absolutely blazing fast in every single instance. I had also bought an S5 when it initially came out - now that was one laggy mess, but the M8 is rock solid and absolutely fluid - don't know what was wrong with yours (using a slow SD card, perhaps?)

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons to use the 1520 over the HTC One, besides the camera. If you don't really care about losing a little bit of functionality in apps here and there the 1520 is pretty good.

And why switch to Nova Launcher?

I'm personally using the Google Launcher now - it's available as a free download from the Play Store for most Android devices.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I can see why people don't like Android - I don't like it a lot myself. However, the rest of your comments aren't what I'm experiencing. The M8's camera lacks just one thing: resolution. This can be an issue if you print your photos. However, it has near instant autofocus. Where the Lumia 930 literally misses every single shot of my kids playing, the M8 keeps up without a hitch. The photos are pleasing, don't have much noise and the camera features completely destroy the 930's. What do you mean by contact syncing being a problem? I added my Exchange account to the M8 and had my contacts over within 10 seconds. And there are about 100 different keyboards for Android. The standard WP8 keyboard just plain sucks.

No, the camera generally sucks. It's not just resolution. The features the dual camera bring might be useful except even though the camera is supposed to focus on two points at once, it poorly focuses on both and you get a grainy mess of a picture. On top of that, the default mail and overall synchronization app wouldn't even take a hotmail address claiming incorrect password. Funny that the keyboard sucks and yet it got second place in terms of speed and first in terms of accuracy out of any cell phone keyboard ever. That puts it head and shoulders above the competition as the only one that beats it in shouted is terribly inaccurate and only keeps up on shouted because you can pre program sentences into it and the individual who won pre programmed the determined sentence for speed.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
My 930 had that as a feature - it just auto-rebooted at random, so I didn't have to manually do it. And honestly - I'm not trolling here, I like WP8 as much as the next guy on this forum, but I've had the M8 for three weeks now and it has never even stuttered - it's been absolutely blazing fast in every single instance. I had also bought an S5 when it initially came out - now that was one laggy mess, but the M8 is rock solid and absolutely fluid - don't know what was wrong with yours (using a slow SD card, perhaps?)

I haven't experienced the 930, maybe it is as bad. You can check Android central though. I traded my garbage m8 for a 1520 and wouldn't look back. Much smoother, cleaner and generally more user friendly.

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I went the other way round (Lumia 930 -> M8) after I had gone through 3 930s, all affected by various hardware issues.

The M8 is dramatically faster (app load times, fluidity when scrolling, keyboard / typing speed / autocorrection speed), much better built (no squeaking back plate, for instance), has much better speakers, and doesn't lack all the apps (Feedly, dictionaries in the Kindle app, Sonos, Netatmo, dropbox and many, many more), has a dramatically nicer screen without any issues whatsoever, works with my car's (2013 VW Golf Variant) bluetooth system etc. etc. I'm no real fan of Android - it works, it's customisable, but it doesn't wow me and I greatly prefer WP8 but overall, the M8 is the best mobile device on the market and beats the 930 in so many ways, it's not even in the same universe.

So just from my personal experience, I just, for the life of me, can't see how you like the M8 less than the 930.

Fairplay for you m8 works better than 930! You just had a really bad experience with 930, all 3 of them! Must have been a faulty batch!!

Anyhow for the record I used my m8 for 5 months, I never said it was a bad phone it is beautifully designed with that unibody aluminium. However it was by no means perfect, granted the m8 camera is quicker than 930 the camera quality was average at best, for me AMOLED screen is better then S-LCD 3 especially in bright outdoors. Design wise m8 maybe more beautiful than the 930 but unless you use a flip/dot view case the m8 at times was awkward for me to handle so ergonomically 930 is better but my main reason for switching to 930 is because of Windows Phone 8.1 I had taken over year break from windows phone so wanted come back to the OS that actually suits me better, it has the Apps I need not the Apps I want.

That being said the 930 is not perfect either my biggest gripe is the poor battery life! So for that reason alone I will be coming back to m8 running windows phone 8.1 when it is available in the UK in the next couple of months.

As I have stated in my earlier post I'm not a novice when it comes android, been using android just as much as windows phone but to quote dannejanne in one of his earlier posts "The freedom on Android is great but it's also my worst enemy as I tend to spend time with stuff that doesn't really have much to do with my usage of the phone as a phone if you get what I mean. That's why I like systems like WP too. Looks great and doesn't allow me to spend too much time with modding and that is refreshing. Just using it as a phone being happy with it from the go" thats exactly the same case with me.

No wasn't using a slow SD card besides that had nothing to do with it. From my experience every high end android device that I ever owned for the first couple months they worked flawlessly fluid, no signs of lag, reboot etc... until afterwhile things go pear shaped, maybe it's me I shouldn't tinker with my phone but then what's the point of getting android?

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Ok after a year break from Windows Phone I'm back on it with Nokia Lumia 930 WP 8.1 update 1!

It's been fun using the HTC One M8 with android, IMHO a great handset just let down by android.

I think with 8.1 the OS has finally matured and Cortana has huge potential could be even better than Google now. For me Windows Phone is still the fastest and fluid OS of the three OS's that I have used. Granted its different, the live tiles are either you love it or hate it but that's what I like about WP it is so different from iOS or android.

Design is subjective but I actually like the Lumia 930 compared to 925 or 920 my biggest gripe is the battery life is very poor I get about 14-15 hrs usage on moderate use (9hrs heavy use) which is not acceptable now days on a flagship handset, my HTC One m8 would give me 20hrs on heavy use or 26 hrs on moderate use. I think the heavy battery drain is down to 930 using Snapdragon 800 they should have used Snapdragon 801, anyway I will live with this issue until HTC launch One m8 with WP 8.1 later on the year.

From Nokia's very own website, the old Lumia 920 has a maximum standby of 19 days.
The new Lumia 930 has a maximum standby of only 18 days.
The big 6" Lumia 1520 has a maximum standby of 32 days!

You are right about the all new 930's shorter standby being due to using the old 2013 Snapdragon 800, but now that I think about it, I think the new 930's 20% bigger battery at some 2450 mAH yet, shorter standby is also due to the new oLED screen!
In hindsight, maybe they should have done something similar to the HTC One M8, and just stick with the less colourful conventional, but more economical IPS super LCD.

In anycase, that HTC One is now available with WindowsPhone 8 Operating System OS called the W8 version.

What a shame.
When the Lumia 1520 6.0" was released late 2013, it had the latest specs for just about everything.
Shame the Lumia 930 5.0" had to hold back on the processor, yet went too far on the oLED screen - a poor combo.
The old 2012 Lumia 920's battery was already compromised - shame the all new 2014 Lumia 930's battery life is worse...

gfreek

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I think poor battery performance is more to do with Nokia using Snapdragon 800 rather then AMOLED Screen I say this because I had Nexus 5 which was using the same processor with LCD screen and yet the battery performance was about the same as 930.

If Nokia knew they were going to use Snapdragon 800 they should have used a high capacity battery like 2600mh - 3000mh to compensate for battery inefficiency of Snapdragon 800!!

Going off topic I'm actually really disappointed with Microsoft/Nokia for not releasing enough High End Flagship Devices, late last year the only choice you had was the 1520 and this year 930 to be later joined by HTC m8, when around the corner you have apple releasing iPhone 6 and few more flagship android devices from HTC, Samsung Sony etc.... Is it any wonder Windows Phone only has a measly 2.5% market share?? If Windows fails then it's Microsoft own doing!!

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I had to go back to my M8 yesterday. I went back and returned my 2'nd unit of the 930 and just cancelled my purchase. Just could not catch a break with the screen. First unit had horizontal gradient on gray colors. Second unit had vertical gradient instead that I didn't notice right away because I was so happy the horizontal gradient from first unit was gone. Won't bother with a third unit. The screen uniformity issue coupled with the much worse battery performance made me do it.

Also the camera performs much worse in low light than my M8. Purple colors starts to appear and general white balance was bad in the dark. Much better on the M8 as I did several side by side comparisons since I had both with me at most times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6