Lumia 930 Red Display (Bleeding) Temporary Fix!

hutchinsane

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello, today I got my 930 and was shocked when I saw the bleeding on the Display.

After playing around with it I figured it has to be the Display App/Driver, so I set the Date to 2300 and uninstalled it, and the Display works like a charm! Blacks look like they're supposed to and theres no more "bleeding"! And no Purple hue!
All you have to do is:
Set your date to the year 2300
go to Settings, Store, disable automatic App Updates (Just in case)
go to Settings, tap on Display, since by 2300 the certificate for the Display App would have expired, you can uninstall it. Now restart your phone and set the correct year again. No more Purple where black should be, no more reddish bleeding! I don't know if there are any other negative consequences about this method, but it seems to work so far. I hope I could help! I'll attach before and after pictures :)
Pictures were taken under exact same conditions, only 2 minutes apart.

Attachments

• WP_20140808_02_10_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140808_02_10_01_Pro.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 51
  • WP_20140808_02_22_14_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140808_02_22_14_Pro.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 44

Koki.v3

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you still see a brightness difference or gradient colors if you display a solid dark grey picture across the whole screen? Try changing your alarm clock time, the system grey background reveals this.

This only fixes the "backlight bleeding" on blacks that are supposed to be black but are for some reason lit up anyway. However this does not fix the brightness problem I'm facing (top of the display brighter than bottom).

hutchinsane

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Do you still see a brightness difference or gradient colors if you display a solid dark grey picture across the whole screen? Try changing your alarm clock time, the system grey background reveals this.

This only fixes the "backlight bleeding" on blacks that are supposed to be black but are for some reason lit up anyway. However this does not fix the brightness problem I'm facing (top of the display brighter than bottom).

Hm, I don't seem to have the problem with greys you are describing. I'll try to take a picture in a darker environment later today though! Sorry to hear it didn't help an your device :(

Syd90

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks alot, just upgraded today from my Lumia 1520 and was losing my mind over the red color bleeding on black and grey colors, now after following ur steps even at full brightness colors are fine and black and grey are like my Lumia 1520. hope they fix this soon as this is most likely a software issue.
Apart from this issue I'm loving this phone.

Mr.NK

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Purple tinge is gone. Great.
Yes colors seems to more vibrant - to a point where you could argue it's too much - but it's okay untill MS fix the Display-App.

Thanks!

carlosrdd

May 31, 2012
Visit site
OMG THANKS! I just got my 930 as well and was in shock after comparing it to the 1020. Thanks so much!! BTW anyone with a 930 notice sometimes when swiping down the notification shade it doesn't register and you have to swipe down multiple times?

flipstone

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Looks pretty awesome!

But is there a way to reinstall if necessary? Couldn't find it in the store (I'm mainly wondering if battery life is affected by this).

fieldeffect

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much! When its blacks are actually black, this screen is *phenomenal* (like "where does the screen start and the bezel end?" good). People (even iPhone 6 users) look at it on full brightness and say wow :) The weird thing for me was that my first 930 didn't have this problem but had another fault (broken proximity sensor), and when I returned it I literally got the next phone from the stack at the store and it had the bleeding issue. So it doesn't even seem to be related to manufacturing batches, it's just random?!#?

The worst part is that since it's not *terrible* even with the bleeding, I bet there are loads of new users who don't realise that it is a problem/fixable. If I hadn't seen an unaffected one first, I'd probably have just assumed that the screen was average.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
OMG THANKS! I just got my 930 as well and was in shock after comparing it to the 1020. Thanks so much!! BTW anyone with a 930 notice sometimes when swiping down the notification shade it doesn't register and you have to swipe down multiple times?

Happens a lot with me, it's really awful.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's a big annoyance. All 5 930's that I've had exhibited that issue. Like 1/3 of the times I pulled down the notification shade it failed. Highly annoying it was.

hutchinsane

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it's a big annoyance. All 5 930's that I've had exhibited that issue. Like 1/3 of the times I pulled down the notification shade it failed. Highly annoying it was.
I didn't have the problem with the 2 930s I had from Amazon, but now that I got the Orange one, I can ONLY slide the notification center down with my thumb. If I try it with any other finger it will work 1 time out of 20 times tried, or only if I do it very slow and use more finger instead of just the tip (hope you know what I mean) it's so annoying. Also, since the Update one sites like tumblr and other endless scrolling sites like 9gag have become useless, since when trying to save an image or open it in a new tap, instead of tap and hold IE makes a single tap, after a certain amount of images loaded.

tquang

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm glad to see your solution. But for me, unfortunately this fix didn't work.

And now I want to back to 8.0, anyone has this ROM? I google it but not found, just 8.1 released!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss