Replacing a Samsung Galaxy S4.

gsm315

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
After a Windows Phone.
Has anyone switched from a Samsung Galaxy S4 to the Nokia 930?
Also interested in the soon to be released HTC W8.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If your looking to switch, I'd say the following:

1) Go through this as most of your questions will be probably addressed here: Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

2) best compare your most used apps to the ones on the windows phone store or try Switching from Android to Windows Phone | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

3) If your still interested get yourself a cheap Lumia like the 520 sim free as some like the windows phone experience however some do not. Do take note that the phone you get may or may not be running Lumia Cyan (Windows Phone 8.1 - Lumia Cyan | Windows Phone Central).

I would recommend getting on to preview for developers program, it is free via an app studio account ( Windows App Studio - Microsoft). However that is upto you if you want to wait for the latest updates or get them before the general public. Disclaimer, you may encounter the odd bug or two in the preview builds.

If your interested in the W8 it will probably launched sometime September - October or later depending on your region.
HTC sends out press invites for August 19th event in NYC – One W8 on the way? | Windows Phone Central

Last edited:

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Number 2 and 3 are good advice. A while back I did this and noticed the 'app gap' but recently I found that all the apps I used on Android were here (or equivalents).
I decided to buy a 630 and have now have updated it to update 1 preview (it comes with 8.1 already). I loved it before and now it's even better!

My S3 (was a premium phone) now sits idle while I prefer the budget Lumia! I've now no worries on getting premium WP :)

gsm315

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice.
I have a touchscreen Windows 8.1 laptop and love it so I don't doubt I will like a Windows 8.1 'phone.
Think I will get the HTC W8 when it is released in UK.
Next decision to be made is whether to get a MS Surface Pro 3 or wait for the Asus T300 Chi.
Decisions,decisions.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No but I've gone back to Samsung Galaxy's after many Lumia's due to app frustration.

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

PPCApache

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I have used Windows Mobile devices from the 2003/WM5 up til 6.5 (HTC HD2) then jumped ship to Android for the past 5 years and had a number of devices including the Note 1 (wifes old phone), GS3, GS4, Note 2, Note 3 and GS5 over a 15 month peroid when I worked as a Channel Rep here in Western Australia training stores on the devices, after leaving the job I had to buy a new phone and bought an unlocked Lumia 630 ($220 AU) it is a great phone and got me introduced to WP8.1 (even updated it to GDR1 - Love the folders options), and yesterday I bought the L930 had to take it back this morning as it had a dead pixel, the store swapped it on the spot and I completed a restore and I am back in business.

In my personal view the 930 blows the GS4 out of the water and even can go head to head with the GS5 (minus the IP67 rating) in fact I have found the 930 to be faster and smoother than the GS4/GS5 devices, as for apps well I can still get all the main apps I used on Android -

* Facebook
* Facebook Messanger
* Instagram (Beta)
* RSS Reader - via NextGen Reader^
* TapaTalk (paid app on Android) - Looks cleaner on WP
* Flickr - via Flickr Central
* Weather - via Weather Flow^ now on both my 630 & 930
* Twitter - Offical App and now Tweetium^
* PayPal
* My Vodafone
* Linkedin
* File Explorer - (Used to use My Files) via Files (Microsoft)
* Battery Monitoring App - via Battery Performance^ (Great graphics, wont detect battery capacity if using GDR1)
* Adobe Reader
* OneNote - Better on WP than Android
* Word/Excel - (Used to use Polaris) via Office is cleaner and looks good.
* Social Chat - (Used to use ChatON) via BBM

^ Paid Apps

The only app I can't get so far is my banks app - Westpac, however the Mobile Website is just as good, they have stated they are working on an app. Also the GS4 is currently $599 AU and I bought the 930 on special for $534 (was $729) which is so much better than the GS4, even the GS5 is $899.

Well thats my 5 cents...