Is 930 better than 920 for battery life?

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
When we're talking about a 'day', are we talking about a) an average work day of 8 hours or b) a full day of 24 hours?
My 930 lasts 21 hours between charges, that's with medium use and all background app processes (apart from BBM) turned off. Email is set to sync every hour, cellular data is turned off at home and brightness is set to low (auto-brightness is off). Location is off at home.

Last edited:

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Did some research.
The Lumia 930 uses last year's Snapdragon 800 processor that is not as economical as this year's processor.
The Lumia 930 has a lovely aluminium chassis, but falls well short of the HTC One's aluminium shell.
The plastic back on the 930 looks cheap.

HTC One M8 has new Snapdragon 801 process with much lower power consumption, and beautiful aluminium backing.
All latest phones use new more economical Snapdragon 801 processor, with much better power consumption.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 has most economical battery.
Samsung is coming out with a Samsung Alpha with an aluminium chassis.
LG G3 has QHD display at 5.5", although battery life suffers.

So I think I will hang onto Lumia 1520 6.0", and wait for the next model from Nokia/Microsoft...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Did some research.
The Lumia 930 uses last year's Snapdragon 800 processor that is not as economical as this year's processor.
The Lumia 930 has a lovely aluminium chassis, but falls well short of the HTC One's aluminium shell.
The plastic back on the 930 looks cheap.

HTC One M8 has new Snapdragon 801 process with much lower power consumption, and beautiful aluminium backing.
All latest phones use new more economical Snapdragon 801 processor, with much better power consumption.
The Samsung Galaxy S5 has most economical battery.
Samsung is coming out with a Samsung Alpha with an aluminium chassis.
LG G3 has QHD display at 5.5", although battery life suffers.

So I think I will hang onto Lumia 1520 6.0", and wait for the next model from Nokia/Microsoft...
I believe the LG G3 has a monster battery thou

Peter Harvey

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to TechFresk1's link to Nokia's official comparison website, I now realise that the old Lumia 920 has a maximum standby time of 19 days, while the new Lumia 930 goes backwards by 1 day, with a maximum standby time of only 18 days, thanks in large to a power hungry oLED screen, which looks brighter & stronger in colour side by side, but on its own, IPS super LCD looks fine.

Meanwhile the Lumia 1520 has an official maximum standby of a whopping 32 days!

So I must put up with the 1520's huge size & weight, and the polycarbonate body which doesn't ooze in upmarketness like HTC's One M8 brushed aluminium backing!

5.0" is still actually too small.
5.5" would be a more perfect size for most people?
Can Nokia do the incredible and release a 5.5" model, say Lumia 1120 or 1220 in between the just not good enough 930, and the too big 1520?

Well, no more research on the Lumia 930. It should have had a newer more economical Snapdragon 801 processor, a more economical screen, a more premium aluminium backing like my wife's HTC One M8 with a brushed aluminium backing rather than those cheap plastic back covers, it should have more rounded corners for less digging, and it should be much lighter still...

Last edited:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhile the Lumia 1520 has an official maximum standby of a whopping 32 days!

So I must put up with the 1520's huge size & weight, and the polycarbonate body which doesn't ooze in upmarketness like HTC's One M8 brushed aluminium backing!

5.0" is still actually too small.
5.5" would be a more perfect size for most people?
Can Nokia do the incredible and release a 5.5" model, say Lumia 1120 or 1220 in between the just not good enough 930, and the too big 1520?

Well, no more research on the Lumia 930. It should have had a newer more economical Snapdragon 801 processor, a more economical screen, a more premium aluminium backing like my wife's HTC One M8 with a brushed aluminium backing rather than those cheap plastic back covers, it should have more rounded corners for less digging, and it should be much lighter still...

The 1520 also has a 3000mAh battery unlike the 930 which has a shameful 2420mAh one for no reason.

However, no, 5" is already too big for most people. 5.5" will break a lot of deals just like the 6" of the 1520 does.
Nokia won't be producing more phones. And I don't think Microsoft Mobile will release any 1120/1220 just to address the 5.5" screen size. The new direction is to NOT release phones "just because".

I do agree on the criticism about the processor etc. That's what happens when you decide to launch in July 2014 a phone that has been ready since September 2013.
I don't like the brushed aluminium of the HTC One M8 though. I much preferred the M7's design with polycarbonate. Aluminium looks pretty but also scratches and dents quickly.
However, if you like the M8, the good news is, you'll be able to get one exact replica but running Windows Phone, as HTC is set to unveil that phone soon (next week?)

baandoptager

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just recieved a "pre" CYAN update on my Lumia 920 four days ago and i don't know what's going on, but my battery life has been improved extensively. I do have my 3G turned off since i am in the US, but, to give an example:

100% Charge (WIFI only):
I surf and check emails for half an hour
I play 30min of games
Go on Whatsapp for 10-15 minutes
Leaves the phone untouched for a couple of hours
BATTERY IS STILL AT 100%

It has now run 24hrs and i've skyped, called and played games, checked mails etc. It is right now playing music over wifi (has done so for 1 hour) and the battery is still.....

52%

Will this stick with the CYAN update you think?

PS: I do though have all apps turned off for running in the background. But still, this is incredible even though i cannot have any apps running in background mode, cause it will drain battery instantly. (It's a bug they need to fix apparently)

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have both 1520 and 930. Had the 920 previously. For me and my usage the 930 it's much better than the 920. I'll say around 40-50% better. Compared against the 1520 they both sucks. The 1520 is somewhere around twice the capacity that the 930 give. That is for me and my usage pattern. Moderate to heavy.

The 930 biggest power issue is in standby. At use it is very good but at standby it's using quite a bit. Probably some update will fix that. (and yes, I do restrict apps that I don't want running in the background)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786