The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-23-2014 02:45 AM
48 12
tools
    Hey, sorry for going little off topic, but as there are few 1520+930 owners in here and I want to ask you something, how is the battery life compared with these two devices?
    I took this screenshot yesterday. 67% 1 day after the last charge and 1 more day to go before I need to re-charge again.
    This is a 1520.

wp_ss_20140818_0001-1-.jpg

08-19-2014 09:25 AM
    Thanks to help me find something wrong with my really good upgrade from a 920. The transition from 920 to 930 has been really enjoyable for me. I didn't find any real problems except I guess there is a slight pink hue at all white, especially when dimmed.

I decided to compare it against all the screens I have. From a bit of a distance, it's not bad but you can see it more if focused on and the camera adjusts to the lighting. Are we really calling it the worst phone for that? All my screens are a different white including the two external monitors.

The full picture shows, 2x Dell U2413 (they are both calibrated differently dammit! I didn't buy it the same time), a Surface Pro3, a Lumia 920 on the left and Lumia 930 on the right.

08-19-2014 12:10 PM
    You just needed the bottom picture, with the top one and your description, your just showing off heheheh :P

Hows the dock on the SP3 - i might get similar setup but 3 external screens.
    08-19-2014 12:41 PM
    lol, I'm establishing baselines!

So far I'm happy with the dock, I'm only on my 2nd work day with it. I'm coming froma Lenovo Helix with Thinkpad USB3 dock and it was not a happy year and abit. Displaylink sucks. Go all out with DP1.2 daisy chain, it was so easy and way less CPU. My two dells are slightly different colour and I thought it was was DP and display link combo I had before but actually, it's differently calibrated. I didn't buy them the same time. Slightly annoying ;)

The way the dock works I find awesome, pop in the surface, push in the sides that's it.

There's a funny issue where if I leave the computer for a bit and everything turns off (power saving screens)... when I move the mouse or something to wake it back up, the screens don't wake. I have to open the dock and close it again to re-activate.

They could've port more ports on it I guess? LIke currently has 3xusb3.0, 2xusb2.0, 1 gigabit lan, mini DP, head phone jack, power. They could've probably added a full size SD card slot since you lose access to the micro SD slot in the SP3. Oh and make it go at different angles would've been nice too.
    Great deal likes this.
    08-19-2014 01:00 PM
    just got a 930 today. Im taking my 1520 in because the screen is not in level.

I have this red hue. However I think its more in the bottom part, maybe 35% from the bottom is effected most.
    08-19-2014 02:09 PM
    just got a 930 today. Im taking my 1520 in because the screen is not in level.

I have this red hue. However I think its more in the bottom part, maybe 35% from the bottom is effected most.
    Turn your phone to landscape mode and go into messages or something and bring up the keyboard. Maybe you have a vertical gradient issue? Look for uneven colors from side to side on the keyboard both in portrait and landscape orientation.
    08-19-2014 02:21 PM
    I'm going to take a small step back when I say the LG Incite is the bar none worse Windows mobile device EVER!!! I used that thing for one whole year what a piece of crap. I'll never own another LG product for as long as I live.
    08-19-2014 02:28 PM
    I'm going to take a small step back when I say the LG Incite is the bar none worse Windows mobile device EVER!!! I used that thing for one whole year what a piece of crap. I'll never own another LG product for as long as I live.
    WinMo=/=Windows Phone
    08-19-2014 02:38 PM
    Turn your phone to landscape mode and go into messages or something and bring up the keyboard. Maybe you have a vertical gradient issue? Look for uneven colors from side to side on the keyboard both in portrait and landscape orientation.
    Thanks for the tip. In totally dark the whole screen has the red hue. But when I have decent light in the room, its present less and it seems to be more in the bottom part, above the win/home/search buttons.
    08-19-2014 03:29 PM
    I have the device in auto brightness of course.

The probem seems to be more in the bottom center, it goes further up where the win key is
    08-19-2014 03:32 PM
    My 920 before this was also a remarkable device. Likely the best built device I've ever had with proper wireless charging and absolutely smooth. That said, it's predecessor is absolute junk.
    The Lumia 900 wasn't that bad, give it a break.
    link68759 and TechAbstract like this.
    08-19-2014 03:37 PM
    Why is everything red? I Already miss my 1520.
    08-19-2014 04:04 PM
    I've been using Windows phone since the day before the HD7 was initially released on T Mobile some four years ago. Despite hiccups I've been pretty loyal to Windows phone and am still so. I have my 1520 that I absolutely adore and couldn't imagine doing back to my garbage M8 or my so-so 5s. This phone is perfect. My 920 before this was also a remarkable device. Likely the best built device I've ever had with proper wireless charging and absolutely smooth. That said, it's predecessor is absolute junk. I've not seen a phone drive more fans of a product away in the mobile world... Well... Ever. First, I've handled 6 of these and literally every one I've had had either a yellow or people tint or an awful gradient either vertical or horizontal. Next, 5/6 of those had the creaky back issue that I thought we left behind with the original 900. Oh, did I mention the subpart sound quality? It's absolutely appalling to hear this phone and my 1520 side by side playing the same song. One crackles, the other is my 1520. It almost feels like the people at Nokia realized they were about to get laid off and just decided to sabotage the company. I hate seeing long time fans turn and run because of this thing. It's so sad because aesthetically, it's a flawless device but pretty much everything else is wrong with it. Hell... Just scrolling around with this next to my 1520, it's embarrassing what the speed differences are... If I can suggest anything, don't touch this phone with a ten foot pole.
    We have different phones then as my Lumia 930 is fast as hell, never slows down and the sound quality from both the speaker and the headphone port is among the best I have heard from a phone.

Clearly you got a device with something wrong with is, maybe get a replacement and then make a judgement as nobody else seems to have these problems you speak of.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.
    08-20-2014 09:48 AM
    We have different phones then as my Lumia 930 is fast as hell, never slows down and the sound quality from both the speaker and the headphone port is among the best I have heard from a phone.

Clearly you got a device with something wrong with is, maybe get a replacement and then make a judgement as nobody else seems to have these problems you speak of.
    Except a good portion of these forums and most users
    08-20-2014 10:16 AM
    I'm just waiting long enough before buying, to make sure I get a phone from a more recent batch.
    Furthermore it's a fact that the great majority of people who seek out these forums are those that are having issues, and that majority of forum users is still a small minority compared to people who are satisfied and therefore aren't represented (as much) in these online communities.
    Your bad experience with 6 phones is probably because all of those likely came from the same production batch.
    08-20-2014 04:48 PM
    That's what? 50 people?

Out of the thousands of devices how exactly is 50 odd defective products surprising?

Also common sense dictates that people are more likely to complain on a forum like this when they have a problem, meaning it seems amplified when in actual fact the number of defective products is such a small minority.

2 Lumia 930's from the same store in London has no issues, and a 3rd Lumia 930 from a different store in London also has no issue, just trying to emphasise that instead of complaining about your phone being defective maybe try getting a replacement? sh!t happens and defective products do exist.
    08-22-2014 01:31 PM
    Excuse me, where are all these people with poor speed and poor speaker sound quality? I haven't seen any.
    Main problem with 930 is the screen... BUT - we have Nokia statement that problems are with software and there will be a fix soon. Reffering to that there is no reason to get the replacements since propably all units are "defective" and all will be fixed with software update.
    In my opinion 930 is absolutely great. Screen is beautiful, one of the best ever used in smartphones. Call quality is great. Speed of this phone is phenomenal, just like 1520. Yes, the battery life is average, it heats a little, but none of these cons are really a deal breakers or something that don't happen to other manufacturers.
    As an early adopter of Xperia S (hardware defective screen, defective microphone), BB Z10 (very poor battery life, strong overheating), LG G2 (crackling in ear speakers) etc. I must say that 930 have relatively few problems, and the main one is on the software side and will be fixed soon.

I'm just waiting long enough before buying, to make sure I get a phone from a more recent batch.
    I don't think its necessary now since first batches was the Lumia Icon ones. As we can see on forums there aren't many problems that are occuring frequently. Only the screen, but it's software.
    Last edited by Monry; 08-22-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    anon5658834 likes this.
    08-22-2014 02:46 PM
    I don't think its necessary now since first batches was the Lumia Icon ones. As we can see on forums there aren't many problems that are occuring frequently. Only the screen, but it's software.
    Well I'm still on the fence about this phone. The screen... might be software, but I always reason that if it is a software problem then every single phone would have the problem because they all have the same software base. Yet there are also 930's without any screen problems.
    The other main drawback is that I don't really trust the display glass that is raised beyond the frame, so if the phone falls face down, the glass will take 100% of the impact, and if the "curved" edge of the glass hits first, it's guaranteed to crack because of peak pressure. So far I've read relatively many reports of cracked lumia 930 screen from low drops, and it's not very common to see reports of cracked screens pop up on such a regular basis... The style of the display glass is a major design mistake that gives the phone a crucial weakness. I fear that when drop tests of Lumia 930/icon finally appear on Youtube, the score will not be so good.
    08-22-2014 04:10 PM
    Like many said before I think that every 930's are affected, just not everybody notice it.
    With cracking potential you may have a point but I have never thought about it when buying new phone and I have never dropped any (at least for now..). The phone design overall is astonishing and that's good enough for me ;)
    08-22-2014 04:24 PM
    Like many said before I think that every 930's are affected, just not everybody notice it.
    With cracking potential you may have a point but I have never thought about it when buying new phone and I have never dropped any (at least for now..). The phone design overall is astonishing and that's good enough for me ;)
    I agree, I didn't notice it until I read these kinds of threads. So I see it now, but I don't normally stare at pure white screens or try to use my camera in almost pure darkness. It doesn't impact day to day usage for me.
    08-22-2014 04:52 PM
    I have read that you can uninstall the display app by setting the date to the year 2300 and removing the display app from settings it fixes the issue.
    08-22-2014 08:56 PM
    I have read that you can uninstall the display app by setting the date to the year 2300 and removing the display app from settings it fixes the issue.
    It fixes the black that isn't black on max brightness yes but it does nothing to the uneven screen uniformity screen issue. I have a hard time believing that is a software issue like some say. 2 out of 3 Lumia 800 that I went through also had this uneven screen issue and it was never ever fixed.
    08-23-2014 02:09 AM
    Yawn at OP. I've had a 920, 925 & now 930 and my 930 is flawless and wipes the floor with any other phone I've owned - including a 5s. Sorry to hear you've had issues, but hey ho.
    08-23-2014 02:45 AM
48 12