Worst Windows Phone Device to Date Bar None

Miles Wight

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I am relatively new to the Windows Phone experience but I am actually a little shocked. I too have looked at a myriad of 930's with the sceptical eye of someone about to take the leap into the Windows OS, foregoing the convenience of the competitors vastly superior (sic) app offerings for the what I consider Top Notch Esthetic of the 930. Now I am however in the States so I am speaking of the ICON and not the 930 per se. But is there a tangible difference in build quality between the two devices. I was to beleive they where for the most part exact.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I didn't realise people actually used the phone speaker for music? I see a lot of little kids wandering the streets with their phones blaring, and occasionally I'll play some music whilst in the bath or shower but aside from speaker phone I never use the external speaker of any phone I've owned.

I would always recommend a decent set of headphones if watching a film or TV program, a much better experience.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

You are of course correct for the most part. But the thing is, as an owner of the M8 it's really nice to be able to play games for example without feeling the need for headphones as the sound from the front stereo speakers is good enough for most games really. And I am generally picky when it comes to sound. The sound really is good with pretty clear treble and you can actually hear some bass too. You have to compare side by side with another phone and you'll notice how much greater it really is right away.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
When I'm going to sleep, I tell Cortana to shuffle my music and set it on my wireless charging table. I don't want 1940s radio static as a result

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It almost feels like the people at Nokia realized they were about to get laid off and just decided to sabotage the company.

What do you think happens to any division in any company that is being sold off, do you really believe that investment continues in that division? never happens and never will, funding and development grinds to a halt in most cases. The 930 is a prime example of a device that's half baked and full of old technology, this device is going to be end of life faster than the 1020 was, just as soon as MS announce their own device

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey, sorry for going little off topic, but as there are few 1520+930 owners in here and I want to ask you something, how is the battery life compared with these two devices?

I took this screenshot yesterday. 67% 1 day after the last charge and 1 more day to go before I need to re-charge again.
This is a 1520.

wp_ss_20140818_0001[1].jpg

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to help me find something wrong with my really good upgrade from a 920. The transition from 920 to 930 has been really enjoyable for me. I didn't find any real problems except I guess there is a slight pink hue at all white, especially when dimmed.

I decided to compare it against all the screens I have. From a bit of a distance, it's not bad but you can see it more if focused on and the camera adjusts to the lighting. Are we really calling it the worst phone for that? All my screens are a different white including the two external monitors.

The full picture shows, 2x Dell U2413 (they are both calibrated differently dammit! I didn't buy it the same time), a Surface Pro3, a Lumia 920 on the left and Lumia 930 on the right.

DSC_0838.JPG

DSC_0837.JPG

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You just needed the bottom picture, with the top one and your description, your just showing off heheheh :p

Hows the dock on the SP3 - i might get similar setup but 3 external screens.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
lol, I'm establishing baselines!

So far I'm happy with the dock, I'm only on my 2nd work day with it. I'm coming froma Lenovo Helix with Thinkpad USB3 dock and it was not a happy year and abit. Displaylink sucks. Go all out with DP1.2 daisy chain, it was so easy and way less CPU. My two dells are slightly different colour and I thought it was was DP and display link combo I had before but actually, it's differently calibrated. I didn't buy them the same time. Slightly annoying ;)

The way the dock works I find awesome, pop in the surface, push in the sides that's it.

There's a funny issue where if I leave the computer for a bit and everything turns off (power saving screens)... when I move the mouse or something to wake it back up, the screens don't wake. I have to open the dock and close it again to re-activate.

They could've port more ports on it I guess? LIke currently has 3xusb3.0, 2xusb2.0, 1 gigabit lan, mini DP, head phone jack, power. They could've probably added a full size SD card slot since you lose access to the micro SD slot in the SP3. Oh and make it go at different angles would've been nice too.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
just got a 930 today. Im taking my 1520 in because the screen is not in level.

I have this red hue. However I think its more in the bottom part, maybe 35% from the bottom is effected most.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
just got a 930 today. Im taking my 1520 in because the screen is not in level.

I have this red hue. However I think its more in the bottom part, maybe 35% from the bottom is effected most.

Turn your phone to landscape mode and go into messages or something and bring up the keyboard. Maybe you have a vertical gradient issue? Look for uneven colors from side to side on the keyboard both in portrait and landscape orientation.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to take a small step back when I say the LG Incite is the bar none worse Windows mobile device EVER!!! I used that thing for one whole year what a piece of crap. I'll never own another LG product for as long as I live.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Turn your phone to landscape mode and go into messages or something and bring up the keyboard. Maybe you have a vertical gradient issue? Look for uneven colors from side to side on the keyboard both in portrait and landscape orientation.

Thanks for the tip. In totally dark the whole screen has the red hue. But when I have decent light in the room, its present less and it seems to be more in the bottom part, above the win/home/search buttons.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the device in auto brightness of course.

The probem seems to be more in the bottom center, it goes further up where the win key is

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Windows phone since the day before the HD7 was initially released on T Mobile some four years ago. Despite hiccups I've been pretty loyal to Windows phone and am still so. I have my 1520 that I absolutely adore and couldn't imagine doing back to my garbage M8 or my so-so 5s. This phone is perfect. My 920 before this was also a remarkable device. Likely the best built device I've ever had with proper wireless charging and absolutely smooth. That said, it's predecessor is absolute junk. I've not seen a phone drive more fans of a product away in the mobile world... Well... Ever. First, I've handled 6 of these and literally every one I've had had either a yellow or people tint or an awful gradient either vertical or horizontal. Next, 5/6 of those had the creaky back issue that I thought we left behind with the original 900. Oh, did I mention the subpart sound quality? It's absolutely appalling to hear this phone and my 1520 side by side playing the same song. One crackles, the other is my 1520. It almost feels like the people at Nokia realized they were about to get laid off and just decided to sabotage the company. I hate seeing long time fans turn and run because of this thing. It's so sad because aesthetically, it's a flawless device but pretty much everything else is wrong with it. Hell... Just scrolling around with this next to my 1520, it's embarrassing what the speed differences are... If I can suggest anything, don't touch this phone with a ten foot pole.

We have different phones then as my Lumia 930 is fast as hell, never slows down and the sound quality from both the speaker and the headphone port is among the best I have heard from a phone.

Clearly you got a device with something wrong with is, maybe get a replacement and then make a judgement as nobody else seems to have these problems you speak of.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
We have different phones then as my Lumia 930 is fast as hell, never slows down and the sound quality from both the speaker and the headphone port is among the best I have heard from a phone.

Clearly you got a device with something wrong with is, maybe get a replacement and then make a judgement as nobody else seems to have these problems you speak of.

Except a good portion of these forums and most users

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm just waiting long enough before buying, to make sure I get a phone from a more recent batch.
Furthermore it's a fact that the great majority of people who seek out these forums are those that are having issues, and that majority of forum users is still a small minority compared to people who are satisfied and therefore aren't represented (as much) in these online communities.
Your bad experience with 6 phones is probably because all of those likely came from the same production batch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro