Phone back melting?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had my phone back melt but on three occasions now my phone has been very very hot.:angry: I then power down the phone and restart it and the hotness disappears.:wink: I haven't managed to track down whether it is an app or the OS but my current thinking is that it is an app that is looping in some way. It might be an app that has "shake" to update. Has anybody else had this issue of their 930 getting really hot? Any thoughts folks?

Regards

WoWNyx

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
That happen to my Lumia 925 countless amount of times. It happens due to a application crashing then hanging trying to get it self to restart. Which application? I do not know, it could be the OS core file but what ever the case if you turn on battery saver the phone will cool back down.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not heard from Nokia yet, but just popped into the EE store at lunch time and spoke to their manager... who told me "thats the design". lol
He said they could send it away if I want but if they decide nothing is wrong, then I have to pay... and it'll be up to 4 weeks until I get it back.

So for now, I've kept hold of the phone and I'll await a call from Nokia.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand how we got to the point where phones start to melt... high end spec race + obsession with thinness would do I guess.. all pointless considering the available software. I blame Google and their OEMs.

Either way, good luck.. I am sure they will replace it

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I still don't understand how we got to the point where phones start to melt... high end spec race + obsession with thinness would do I guess.. all pointless considering the available software. I blame Google and their OEMs.

Either way, good luck.. I am sure they will replace it

You can't blame Google and nor "their" OEMs. You can blame specific OEMs(Nokia in this case) for improper heat dispersion in the phone.

I repeat again, you can't blame Google and their OEMs for a warped Lumia 930. You could however blame either Snapdragon or Nokia.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I still don't understand how we got to the point where phones start to melt...
I completely agree!!!
To get to that temperature, you'd think it's going to be on the verge of bursting into flames!! (nice!).

I would like to clarify though... I stated it's warped in a manner akin to melting.
[disclaimer over]

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You can't blame Google and nor "their" OEMs. You can blame specific OEMs(Nokia in this case) for improper heat dispersion in the phone.

I repeat again, you can't blame Google and their OEMs for a warped Lumia 930. You could however blame either Snapdragon or Nokia.

I don't think I got my point across clearly.

1. Google created an heavy operating system that needed more horsepower to run properly.

2. Samsung & CO. picked that up and turned it into a differentiation strategy, aka "the spec race"

3. Heavy operating system -> more computing power -> more heat -> melting plastic

4. Big screens = more heat = melting plastic

A more optimized operating system, and a more efficient way of using available computing power would prevent unfortunate events such as the one discussed in this very thread.

The current generation of smartphones are generally overpowered and inefficient. Non of the software (expect maybe heavy 3D games) can take full advantage of the available computing power.

The Android(Linux), iOS (Unix), and WP (Windows NT) kernels are all from the desktop/server era... obviously they were made for machines that are always plugged into the power grid, not devices with limited resources powered by a battery.

They've done an amazing job to make them work, and they do, but the old design still lingers around..

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't think I got my point across clearly.

1. Google created an heavy operating system that needed more horsepower to run properly.

2. Samsung & CO. picked that up and turned it into a differentiation strategy, aka "the spec race"

3. Heavy operating system -> more computing power -> more heat -> melting plastic

4. Big screens = more heat = melting plastic

A more optimized operating system, and a more efficient way of using available computing power would prevent unfortunate events such as the one discussed in this very thread.

The current generation of smartphones are generally overpowered and inefficient. Non of the software (expect maybe heavy 3D games) can take full advantage of the available computing power.

The Android(Linux), iOS (Unix), and WP (Windows NT) kernels are all from the desktop/server era... obviously they were made for machines that are always plugged into the power grid, not devices with limited resources powered by a battery.

They've done an amazing job to make them work, and they do, but the old design still lingers around..

It wasn't Google's fault, Android has always been more feature filled than other operating systems and with more features you need more and more horsepower, eventually Android did start focusing on optimizing the system more and I'm currently using a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4, extremely optimized and very smooth.

It's pretty difficult to find how to balance features and performance, I mean just look at how much slower Lumia Cyan is than Lumia Black(because of all the new features). Again, you can't blame Android for that.

If whatever you are saying is true, shouldn't all phones with a Snapdragon 800 have warped backs? No it doesn't happen so often. My Nexus 5 has a faster Snapdragon 800, it has the same kind of screen and also uses plastic and I don't experience heating issues.

You are right about the specs war though, Snapdragon wasn't part of it at one time but will produce 8 core chips next year, the spec war is something I hate because phones need less and more powerful cores, like the Apple A7 chip. I wish that dual core powerful chips make a comeback in Android/Windows Phone someday, that would make it much faster.

And yes Android was unoptimized at first but I can bet that if Android didn't exist, Windows Phone wouldn't have either.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
And yes Android was unoptimized at first but I can bet that if Android didn't exist, Windows Phone wouldn't have either.
The existence of WP is NOT linked with Android. It is linked with iOS. WP competes (or at least did) with iOS, rather than Android. I came from iOS, and some stupid things in WP (which also exist in iOS) make it more similar to iOS than Android. You can say that if iOS did not exist, WP would not have, but you cannot say the same for Android. If WP was created to compete directly with Android, it would be similarly feature-packed and open. But instead Microsoft went the opposite way from WM6 (Android-like) to WP7 (iOS-like).

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The existence of WP is NOT linked with Android. It is linked with iOS. WP competes (or at least did) with iOS, rather than Android. I came from iOS, and some stupid things in WP (which also exist in iOS) make it more similar to iOS than Android. You can say that if iOS did not exist, WP would not have, but not with Android. If WP was created to compete directly with Android, it would be similarly feature-packed and open. But instead Microsoft went the opposite way from WM6 (Android-like) to WP7 (iOS-like).

The whole point of creating windows phone was the fact that it offered a balance between simplicity and functionality making it the most personal smartphone operating system, I'm pretty sure they looked at iOS's icons and Android widgets and functionality and merge them together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb