Hi!

I have a problem which havnt read about elsewhere.

FIrst, I have Wifi-Sens and Internet sharing turned off.
    Now to the problem, I can always see/find my Nokia 930 phone SSID at another computer or mobil phone when searching for Wifi. When I chose to connect, the phone automaticly turnes on tethering and share the 4G/3G internet connection with the other computer.
    I dont even haft to punch in a password, it automaticly just shares the internet from the phone.
    When I disconnect the other device the tethering remains on.
    Its like internet share/tethering is allways on in the background and also without password protection.

I also have the problem that the phone getts pretty hot and battery can be drained fast. I assume this can be on of the issues to why the phone gets this hot and battery drain.

Anyone have any idea? Can it be the 8.1 Wifi-Sens function that mess things up?
    08-28-2014 01:34 AM
    Something not right there!
    I don't use the wifi-sense, so that's always off.
    But my SSID isn't broadcast unless I switch the internet sharing on.
    tbh, it all works exactly as I expect and switches on and off as I ask. :)
    08-28-2014 02:44 AM
    I have noticed this too and I consider it a security issue. WiFi sense is off on my phone. The phone is broadcasting as an AP without internet sharing enabled. By connecting to the SSID it will switch internet sharing on and allow anyone to use it without entering the AP password. You can do this even if WiFi is disabled.

I tweeted the official Windows Phone account a month or so back. They passed me over to the support account but I got no response.
    08-28-2014 06:05 AM
    I've seen this once on an Ativ S with 8.1DP... Removed the connection from my PC (Forget this Network) and problem solved. My theory is that if you used it once, it will sync the SSID and password to your other devices through your MS account. But I didn't test this theory though, so you could try if you can find and connect from any random device or only from your own devices.
    08-31-2014 08:13 AM
    But my SSID isn't broadcast unless I switch the internet sharing on.
    tbh, it all works exactly as I expect and switches on and off as I ask. :)
    Well, 1 month down the line, and a new tablet, and b*gger me, my SSID is being broadcast without sharing being turned on!.

I'm going to test out Intrance's theory when my colleagues turn up for work today - I can then test with an account that hasn't previously used the sharing.
    09-23-2014 02:32 AM
    Just bought a 830 and I have this problem.
    I notice that yesterday that my main laptop will see my SSID and once connected (with no password ask because I am using my MS account and password sync).

The other computer in front of me was seeing the SSID also but asked for a password when I tried to connect.

I also found this to be a problem because I do not want everyone to see my SSID if I am not using Internet Sharing. Also, WiFi Sense is turned off.

I also noticed this morning that I won't see the SSID when my screen is locked for a long time.

I hope to have more info on that "feature".

Mathieu
    01-20-2015 07:31 AM
    I had some similar but not with a phone. I bought a surface 2 from a private person. There we did a "hard" reset and I logged in with my ms account. After updating we deleted the network (his SSID) on the surface but a few weeks later when i was playing around with my laptop I saw the SSID from this guy on my laptop.
    01-20-2015 07:40 AM
    Hmm. Try switching internet sharing to share over Bluetooth. What happens then?
    01-22-2015 06:59 AM
    ok, I just noticed my 830 is doing the same thing. I've tried switching to Bluetooth and the bugger just switched itself on and back to wifi when I connected from my laptop.

Anyone figure out how to turn this 'feature' off?

Cheers
    10-02-2015 09:57 AM