Why the 930 uses last year's processor, and a smaller 2420 mAH battery!

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I am sure having different hardware versions of the same phone to suit everyone's needs is a wonderful way to do business.

We could have a Lumia 930 Plus which is thicker but has a bigger battery. We'd also have a Lumia 930 Minus which is thinner for the fashion conscious but at the expense of battery size. We could also have a Lumia 930 Selfie with a better front facing camera for the selfie fans; and a Lumia 930 Storage with microSD support. Wonderful ideas! /s
Or a 920 skinny with 16 GB of storage, or a 920 for Verizon users, or a 920 super camera edition.... oh wait

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Can everybody stop complaining about the battery size? Do you really believe that Nokia had any room left with the camera tech, wireless charging, and any other nit picky tech that's going on in the phone that they just couldn't fit a bigger battery? The same goes for the lack of a MicroSD slot, Nokia didn't have enough room for it after everything they forced into the small chassis of the 930/ Icon.

Biggest thing they can do to put a bigger battery is increase the size of the 900 series again, and of they do, I'd prefer a MicroSD slot over a bigger battery, but that may be just me.

you do realize that lumias tend to be quite a bit chunkier than their competition for some odd reason?
Yet the competition can put in much larger capacity batteries and Nokia can't. They just aren't that good at utilizing existing space. Samsung S5 can have a fingerprint sensor, MicroSD slot, and an IR sensor and still have a phone that's like half as thick as the Lumia 930 with a larger battery, While having all the same tech stuff inside it as the Lumia 930. What does the Lumia have over that? Well no microSD, no fingerprint sensor, no IR sensor but Oh wireless charging...which I think was ousted as just a thin copper coil connected to the battery and not some 5mm chunk of metal that takes up half the space. As far as I know, the Lumias chunkiness mainly comes from their camera sensors which tend to be pretty fat. And its not like they had no choice in the matter on how big their batteries should be, they always seem to try to go with the 'less is more' approach but it doesn't seem to work in their favor half the time. (they think they can get away with a smaller battery because they believe they can be competitive on the battery life front but a lot of the times it falls short) I remember reveiwers and people complaining about battery life in the Lumia 920 (2000mah battery I think) and think it should bit a bit bigger (2400 or so).

But the battery problem is solved by carrying around a portable USB battery charger. Its the same as carrying around an extra battery for those who want to have swappable batteries anyways....
People can have their phone last a day and a half good for them. Do they complain when the phone lasts only half the next day and dies because they didn't bother recharging it the night before because it was able to last that whole day?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Can everybody stop complaining about the battery size? Do you really believe that Nokia had any room left with the camera tech, wireless charging, and any other nit picky tech that's going on in the phone that they just couldn't fit a bigger battery? The same goes for the lack of a MicroSD slot, Nokia didn't have enough room for it after everything they forced into the small chassis of the 930/ Icon.

Biggest thing they can do to put a bigger battery is increase the size of the 900 series again, and of they do, I'd prefer a MicroSD slot over a bigger battery, but that may be just me.

With the size of these devices and the tech inside them, I am SURE they could of fit a MicroSD slot if they wanted to. By shifting things around in the phone, they could of made it happen with minor size difference. It's been a known thing with Nokia and high end models not to include expandable storage, look over all the high end models over the last year or 2.

Products like the 930 or ICON are designed months in advance, if not years. The Phone was based off the 800 chip, not the 801. With the release of the ICON, it was in the timeframe of the chipset as the 801 was a new chip on the time it was released on Verizon. The 930 only had a minor upgrade before it was released (for the GSM radios) and color options. They were NOT going to re-design the whole phone around a newer chip, the cost to do that would out weigh the benefit to the consumer. Never mind the profits would be lost on a great phone but, is not exactly going to sell billions.

The battery is a sore subject with me anyway. Sure it's enough for most people to make a full day, for the most part but, We live in a day where memory is faster, quad core CPUs on phones but, we still use the same tech on batteries that we used 10 years ago. Just wish someone would build a better tech for batteries where we could go 30 days with out a single charge.

Just think, in 10 years from now, phones will be 1/2 of the size we have today(nano-chipsets), like credit card sized items but, due to the batteries, they will never get that small...It's the only tech holding phones back.

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
And the snapdragon 800 and 801 are the same chip. They just rebranded the faster variants to make it seem like they made progress. The 801 is not more efficient, but things like the video decoder are faster, using the same power.

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
If you wanted to, you could solder the 801 off a galaxy s5 and solder it on the 930, at least in theory. You may need slightly newer drivers though.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think my Lumia 920 battery life is good. Of course the Lumia 930 would be good too. And one more thing: I think Wireless charging have to be optional and not a obligation. This would be more competitive and would give more internal space for better batteries.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I think my Lumia 920 battery life is good. Of course the Lumia 930 would be good too. And one more thing: I think Wireless charging have to be optional and not a obligation. This would be more competitive and would give more internal space for better batteries.

More competitive? To have less feature? Wireless charging basically adds nothing to the thickness of the phone. This was shown most clearly when it retrofitted into the Lumia 925 which supposedly required the clunky snap on cover to add it. It's a sticker somewhere in the back, and some minor circuitry changes.

Adding wireless charging did not change the battery size of the Lumia 930, Nokia got what they could in there, and while perhaps they could have squeezed more in, I would wager it would have taken quite a design change to eke out a minimal improvement.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
More competitive? To have less feature? Wireless charging basically adds nothing to the thickness of the phone. This was shown most clearly when it retrofitted into the Lumia 925 which supposedly required the clunky snap on cover to add it. It's a sticker somewhere in the back, and some minor circuitry changes.

Adding wireless charging did not change the battery size of the Lumia 930, Nokia got what they could in there, and while perhaps they could have squeezed more in, I would wager it would have taken quite a design change to eke out a minimal improvement.

Yes, more competitive. Microsoft should launch Lumias with more options. I dont want wireless charging. I want a good battery life and competitive hardware. We all know that Windows Phone dont need outstanding hardware, but this kind of things sale phones!

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Apart from a xenon flash for the camera & a sd card slot, the Lumia 930 gets the hardware spot on.

I get the feeling a lot of the people moaning about battery life on the 930 have either got loads of app's running in background OR location services / NFC constantly running.

As for wireless charging, I actually think it's a good idea, I can just place the phone on the charging plate on my desk & pick it up again when needed which in turn saves wear & tear on the micro usb port.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why you guys even care. Loading is fast, great camera, battery can get you through the day. Specs don't show you how the phone will actually on a day to day basis, especially with windows phone. Maybe you guys are used to android so much. iPhone 5S has an A7 dual core processor clocked at 1.3ghz. Its was one the fastest mobile processor in benchmarks last year , beating phones like S4 and z1 . As long as the OS is optimized, like windows phone is. The specs are fine with this phone

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, more competitive. Microsoft should launch Lumias with more options. I dont want wireless charging. I want a good battery life and competitive hardware. We all know that Windows Phone dont need outstanding hardware, but this kind of things sale phones!

Again, more ccompetitive how? By REMOVING a feature that has NOTHING to do with the current battery capacity issue?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why you guys even care. Loading is fast, great camera, battery can get you through the day. Specs don't show you how the phone will actually on a day to day basis, especially with windows phone. Maybe you guys are used to android so much. iPhone 5S has an A7 dual core processor clocked at 1.3ghz. Its was one the fastest mobile processor in benchmarks last year , beating phones like S4 and z1 . As long as the OS is optimized, like windows phone is. The specs are fine with this phone

yep totally agree
android is the only os which doesnt perform well on low end hardware,has viruses and malware even in its own play store,has bad battery life etc
BB10,WP,iOS have proven that hardware specs dont mean everything

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
yep totally agree
android is the only os which doesnt perform well on low end hardware,has viruses and malware even in its own play store,has bad battery life etc
BB10,WP,iOS have proven that hardware specs dont mean everything

Everybody knows here that hardware specs dont mean everything. BUT The average users care about it. It sells phones! I'm talking about the commercial side of the problem.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Again, more ccompetitive how? By REMOVING a feature that has NOTHING to do with the current battery capacity issue?

Better prices, just that. And wireless charging add 1mm to the phone. Im just talking about give users more options. Just that simple. If you like this feauture good for you. For me its irrelevant. If we have a Phone without this feature, the price will go down. Specially here in Brazil, where the price is terrible.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Better prices, just that. And wireless charging add 1mm to the phone. Im just talking about give users more options. Just that simple. If you like this feauture good for you. For me its irrelevant. If we have a Phone without this feature, the price will go down. Specially here in Brazil, where the price is terrible.

it doesnt cost much to add wireless charging etc though i do agree other than usa and uk, phones are overpriced everywhere even in india

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12