Why the 930 uses last year's processor, and a smaller 2420 mAH battery!

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I was so slow, but now I realise why the new July 2014 uses last year's slower 2013 Snapdragon 800 processor, and a smaller 2420 mAH capacity battery.
It's actually because the Nokia Lumia 930 is actually based on the February 2014 Nokia Lumia Icon - sold exclusively to Verizon in the USA!
That's why the Icon uses a name rather than a number, and that's why the Icon has an aluminium chassis.

However, somehow, someone wanted the Verizon based 930 release to be delayed, so that combined with the updated WindowsPhone 8.1 before it was to be released to the rest of the world in July 2014.

Unfortunately, by this late time, the HTC One M8 had already been released in March 2014 with the newer and quicker Snapdragon 801 processor, and a slightly bigger 2600 mAH battery.
Likewise in April 2014, the all new Samsung Galaxy S5 was released with the newer quicker Snapdragon 801, and an even bigger 2800 mAH battery.

Thus at this point in time, the Lumia 930 is in need of a quick update to catch up to the top selling Samsung Galaxy S5, and to a lesser extent, the HTC One M8, especially from the battery run time point of view.
My wife's Samsung Galaxy S5 battery run time is not very good at all; the Lumia 930's is even worse.

At least now we know the reason why the Lumia 930's processor, battery capacity and battery life is behind its two biggest competitors - the Galaxy S5 and the One M8...

The processor doesn't matter the phone main drags are wifi/Bluetooth and screen not the processor for battery life this topic is waste of time. The processors efficiency probably means you get 15 mins extra not hugely beneficial.

For those arguing how long battery life my 1520 gets 2 full days with lots of work but can push to 5 days! With phone normal usage (texts and calls). 3400ma battery rocks extra usage.

In terms of using dual core/ quad core, 1gb ram/2gb ram the o/s is designed to use extra power when needed. Ie taking 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound will use full power of sd800 and 2gb ram. To the .7% battery drain from WiFi and Bluetooth on getting emails,texts calls, music to car ups it to 1%.

Strange fact facebook can produce 12% drain on battery per hour.

Battery % is from battery sense pro app (paid version)

Hope this help

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
i wish they would make phones with different battery capacities just like what Apple does on Storage (16Gig, 32Gig e.t.c) so that customers may chose depending on your taste i.e. weight (2000 mAh lighter, 3600 mAh heavier e.t.c),

this would give a choice to some of us who do not mind the weight as long as the phone's power last at least 24 hrs with normal usage

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
i wish they would make phones with different battery capacities just like what Apple does on Storage (16Gig, 32Gig e.t.c) so that customers may chose depending on your taste i.e. weight (2000 mAh lighter, 3600 mAh heavier e.t.c),

this would give a choice to some of us who do not mind the weight as long as the phone's power last at least 24 hrs with normal usage
They just need to add an sd card and thois would be the perfect windows phone. imo. Removable battery should be only for the 830 downwards, cases make the phone look cheap.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yes, more competitive. Microsoft should launch Lumias with more options. I dont want wireless charging. I want a good battery life and competitive hardware. We all know that Windows Phone dont need outstanding hardware, but this kind of things sale phones!

but, you are not getting it. With wireless charging it does not add any real thickness to the phone, it's a little thicker than 2 pieces of duct tape stuck together, when internal, it would not make the phone smaller with out it. This would not change the size of the phone and weight is so minor no one would be even able to feel the difference.

So, your asking for 2 of the same phones, one with wireless charging and one with out, Same price, same size but, one is lacking a feature that a lot of people DO want. ? Really ? Less features for the same money ?

Your logic here does not make any sense. If you don't use it, don't use it but, don't wish away features that a lot of people use and want. It's like MicroSD on phones, a ton of people want it but, there is a ton of people who have it on their phone and never use it.

It's nice to have the feature and if you use it, cool, if you don't, then no big loss.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is an awesome feature and one of the reasons I'm on Windows Phone. If Apple started giving the iPhone Qi support it would be hailed as groundbreaking and innovative.

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
but, you are not getting it. With wireless charging it does not add any real thickness to the phone, it's a little thicker than 2 pieces of duct tape stuck together, when internal, it would not make the phone smaller with out it. This would not change the size of the phone and weight is so minor no one would be even able to feel the difference.

So, your asking for 2 of the same phones, one with wireless charging and one with out, Same price, same size but, one is lacking a feature that a lot of people DO want. ? Really ? Less features for the same money ?

Your logic here does not make any sense. If you don't use it, don't use it but, don't wish away features that a lot of people use and want. It's like MicroSD on phones, a ton of people want it but, there is a ton of people who have it on their phone and never use it.

It's nice to have the feature and if you use it, cool, if you don't, then no big loss.

I never said "Same price, same size but, one is lacking a feature." Read with more attention. What I proposed was various versions with differents features, differents prices for differentes users. So: If there are users that dont want wireless charging and there is a phone with a good price.... And again: There is a Lumia 1520 version with no wireless charging that is a little less thicker and lighter.

Last edited:

anon5999636

May 16, 2013
Visit site
it doesnt cost much to add wireless charging etc though i do agree other than usa and uk, phones are overpriced everywhere even in india

Oh yes... I'm saying this based in Brazil (my country). I know that USA and other countries have better prices. The Lumia 930 is $826 with no contract here. A Lumia 930 without wireless charging would be something like $739. And here in Brazil it makes a difference, because in Reais you have to multiplicate the price by 2,30 (more os less the US$ cotation). 0.0

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes... I'm saying this based in Brazil (my country). I know that USA and other countries have better prices. The Lumia 930 is $826 with no contract here. A Lumia 930 without wireless charging would be something like $739. And here in Brazil it makes a difference, because in Reais you have to multiplicate the price by 2,30 (more os less the US$ cotation). 0.0

UK launch price of the 930 sim free was ?441 which in todays exchange rate is $1639 in your Brazilian money, you still feeling hard done by now?

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

yep same here,we dont have the icon/930 here yet but an iphone 5S costs $900 here and a 1520 costs $850 which is really pricey and unfair
nokia should have priced the upper models and lower models properly , mid range phones like the 720(always priced well since the start) and later on the 920,820 and recently 925(price drops)
given by the way moto has priced its phones in india,i hope moto comes up with a windows phone once its completely free from google and is acquired by lenovo,that could help windows phone sales in lower end(i didnt like the 630 pricing and features much ,its not a bad phone but it could have been better)
i hope nokia makes phones like the 720 again but with more ram

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
UK launch price of the 930 sim free was ?441 which in todays exchange rate is $1639 in your Brazilian money, you still feeling hard done by now?

thats some harsh pricing i think all these companies should start taking pricing seriously in countries other than USA(and UK for some phones)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I never said "Same price, same size but, one is lacking a feature." Read with more attention. What I proposed was various versions with differents features, differents prices for differentes users. So: If there are users that dont want wireless charging and there is a phone with a good price.... And again: There is a Lumia 1520 version with no wireless charging that is a little less thicker and lighter.

i agree with your intentions but removing wireless charging wont really reduce pricing,thickness by much,they would rather offer it in a smaller size and same design but lesser resolution screen and call it 1515 or something

*drools if such a phone ever comes out*

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Everyone complains about poor battery life in smartphones; yet what's needed are two things: 1) better battery efficiency and 2) screens that use less power at a given size.

I'm quite happy my 930 uses the 800 instead of the 801.
Why? Because the 930 does all I need and having a slightly faster SoC wouldn't make me any more efficient.

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No offense but I think you got a couple of lemons.
I say this only because my old GS5 got over a days worth of medium to heavy use and my Lumia 925 gets fantastic battery life.
Are you sure you dont have some crazy apps on your GS5? We all know how notorious Android is for letting anything run in the background whenever it/the developer wants.

jpal12

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 801 does not use more power, both chips are way underclocked must of the time. It may even get better battery, like for decoding video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven