The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-02-2014 02:07 PM
54 123
tools
    I was so slow, but now I realise why the new July 2014 uses last year's slower 2013 Snapdragon 800 processor, and a smaller 2420 mAH capacity battery.
    It's actually because the Nokia Lumia 930 is actually based on the February 2014 Nokia Lumia Icon - sold exclusively to Verizon in the USA!
    That's why the Icon uses a name rather than a number, and that's why the Icon has an aluminium chassis.

However, somehow, someone wanted the Verizon based 930 release to be delayed, so that combined with the updated WindowsPhone 8.1 before it was to be released to the rest of the world in July 2014.

Unfortunately, by this late time, the HTC One M8 had already been released in March 2014 with the newer and quicker Snapdragon 801 processor, and a slightly bigger 2600 mAH battery.
    Likewise in April 2014, the all new Samsung Galaxy S5 was released with the newer quicker Snapdragon 801, and an even bigger 2800 mAH battery.

Thus at this point in time, the Lumia 930 is in need of a quick update to catch up to the top selling Samsung Galaxy S5, and to a lesser extent, the HTC One M8, especially from the battery run time point of view.
    My wife's Samsung Galaxy S5 battery run time is not very good at all; the Lumia 930's is even worse.

At least now we know the reason why the Lumia 930's processor, battery capacity and battery life is behind its two biggest competitors - the Galaxy S5 and the One M8...
    Last edited by Peter Harvey; 08-28-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    fbloise likes this.
    08-28-2014 03:36 PM
    The S800 vs S801 has a 0.1 difference so I don't think it is WAYYY BEHIND. Comparing HTC one has 2.3 GHz S801 vs 930 S800 2.2 GHz so I don't know what's speedy in this. Also s5 has 2.5 GHz so .3 difference is not something to cry about.
    Second some people don't understand that in order to get a bigger battery,A BIGGER SIZE PHONE IS REQUIRED!
    You don't expect 930 to get 3400 MAH battery from 1520. Even the s5 is .1 inches bigger because now it has 2800 battery. You can't put note 3 battery's in s5.
    Heck iPhone 5s still comes with 1560 Mah but nobody complains about it. So yeah here you go
    Karthik Naik and TLRtheory like this.
    08-28-2014 03:51 PM
    Hhhh
    08-28-2014 03:52 PM
    The specs are indeed a little bit disappointing compared to other high-end phones, but I got mine for free so I'm not gonna complain about it.
    08-28-2014 03:54 PM
    The biggest difference between Snapdragon 800 and 801 is energy efficiency and battery life, rather than processor speed.
    lepra87 likes this.
    08-28-2014 04:04 PM
    The biggest difference between Snapdragon 800 and 801 is energy efficiency and battery life, rather than processor speed.
    Which is very nice because the 800 is already fast enough, but getting more battery life is always great!
    08-28-2014 04:09 PM
    Thus at this point in time, the Lumia 930 is in need of a quick update to catch up to the top selling Samsung Galaxy S5, and to a lesser extent, the HTC One M8...
    Curious in which area exactly the 930 needs to "catch up". Is it just in the labelling on the box that says what processor it uses or in any practical usage scenarios?
    08-28-2014 04:09 PM
    nm makes all the difference...
    08-28-2014 04:11 PM
    Curious in which area exactly the 930 needs to "catch up". Is it just in the labelling on the box that says what processor it uses or in any practical usage scenarios?
    The 930 needs to catch up in processor energy consumption efficiency, and in battery mAH capacity for longer run times.

For example, on Techradar's 90 minute looped HD video on high brightness, the Lumia 930's battery fell 24%.
    However, the Sony Xperia Z2 fell only 20%.
    The class leading Samsung Galaxy S5 fell only 16%.
    If you go to Techradar's website, and search for Nokia Lumia 930 and Samsung Galaxy S5 reviews, you will find the results; go to the sub-heading called "Page 4 - Battery Life".
    08-28-2014 04:21 PM
    ...Second some people don't understand that in order to get a bigger battery,A BIGGER SIZE PHONE IS REQUIRED!
    You don't expect 930 to get 3400 MAH battery from 1520. Even the s5 is .1 inches bigger because now it has 2800 battery. You can't put note 3 battery's in s5.

Heck iPhone 5s still comes with 1560 Mah but nobody complains about it. So yeah here you go
    When so many forum members complain that the 930 barely lasts a day, a bigger battery and phone size a worthy option esp for heavy users.
    However, rather than going to a finger stretching 6.0" format like the Lumia 1520, perhaps they could produce a slightly thicker and slightly heavier 5.0" chassis so that the average person doesn't have to stretch their fingers and thumb so much, and a slightly thicker chassis like 9 mm or even 10 mm is actually easier to hold by the edge.

iPhone has tiny 4.0" screen with fewer pixels, so power consumption much less, so it can do with smaller battery mAH capacity.
    08-28-2014 04:32 PM
    When so many forum members complain that the 930 barely lasts a day, a bigger battery and phone size a worthy option esp for heavy users.
    However, rather than going to a finger stretching 6.0" format like the Lumia 1520, perhaps they could produce a slightly thicker and slightly heavier 5.0" chassis so that the average person doesn't have to stretch their fingers and thumb so much, and a slightly thicker chassis like 9 mm or even 10 mm is actually easier to hold by the edge.

iPhone has tiny 4.0" screen with fewer pixels, so power consumption much less, so it can do with smaller battery mAH capacity.
    The Lumia 930 is pretty much the same size as the s5 except it's thicker, yet the battery inside the 930 is significantly smaller...
    08-28-2014 04:38 PM

so your saying that iPhone owners don't complain about battery life? Just because it has few pixels to push doesn't make it power efficient. You don't think that apple users demand more battery? My friend had iPhone 5s because it was iOS..but his problem was BATTERY which lasted half a day. So he switched to Note3 and got 2 days of battery life. Many ppl I know bought android devices because of bigger battery. With that bigger battery,they also started to like big screen estate. I have yet to see someone to say that iPhone's battery lasts a day.
    It also depends upon how your using your device. Or you in PVD? Are you running background apps? Did you charged your phone 100% when you bought new? So these things should be there. My friend has a 930 and he hasn't even complained about anything heck he says 930 gives a better battery than iPhone 4s. So its all up to you how you use
    08-28-2014 04:54 PM
    The Lumia 930 is pretty much the same size as the s5 except it's thicker, yet the battery inside the 930 is significantly smaller...
    The 930 is relatively thicker & heavier than the Galaxy S5 due to firstly, the 930's aluminium chassis, and secondly, a built-in wireless charging plate for wireless charging.
    08-28-2014 05:46 PM
    so your saying that iPhone owners don't complain about battery life? Just because it has few pixels to push doesn't make it power efficient. You don't think that apple users demand more battery? My friend had iPhone 5s because it was iOS..but his problem was BATTERY which lasted half a day. So he switched to Note3 and got 2 days of battery life. Many ppl I know bought android devices because of bigger battery. With that bigger battery,they also started to like big screen estate. I have yet to see someone to say that iPhone's battery lasts a day.
    It also depends upon how your using your device. Or you in PVD? Are you running background apps? Did you charged your phone 100% when you bought new? So these things should be there. My friend has a 930 and he hasn't even complained about anything heck he says 930 gives a better battery than iPhone 4s. So its all up to you how you use
    Yes, certainly. Horses for courses.
    Each make & model has its good & bad points.
    There is no perfect phone.
    Choose the model that suits one best...
    DavidinCT likes this.
    08-28-2014 05:49 PM
    Yes, certainly. Horses for courses.
    Each make & model has its good & bad points.
    There is no perfect phone.
    Choose the model that suits one best...
    Yup that's the point bro....
    08-28-2014 05:55 PM
    The Snapdragon 801 is NOT any more or less efficient than the 800...
    The 801 is just a speed bumped 800....The biggest benefit is from the ISP since that got the biggest speed boost.
    If we use the SD800 as a baseline, the SD801 is just an overclocked 800.
    AnandTech | The Difference Between Snapdragon 800 and 801: Clearing up Confusion

Theres a blurb about efficiency near the bottom and that comes as a direct result of the performance increases. Looks like your 'this years' chip is just 'last years' chip injected with steroids.

All the other phones get better battery life because all their batteries are bigger than the Lumia 930. I don't think any of them have anything smaller than 2800mah.
    I mean the 1520 has incredible battery life, but look at the damn battery, its 3400mah. But it still uses the 'old last year's Snapdragon 800.

More proof that the 'newer' 801 gives the impression that its significantly better than 'last years' 800 due to the numbers game and the date of availability.

I don't take stock in any battery life claims. I have a Lumia 930, it lasts about 15hrs give or take (It could probably get more the less I use it). That's enough for a day, plus I carry around one of those portable USB chargers as an insurance policy. (Removable battery argument thrown out the window btw) My friend has an HTC One and that doesn't last a day for him either. I had a Lumia 710 that barely lasted half a day with its pitiful 1300mah battery.
    And every device I always see someone claim one or more days of battery. I've read some people got 1 and a half days out of the 710...really? I could never get that even if I tried. I turn on Airplane mode and I may be able to double usage of that. When it comes to battery life, your mileage may vary.
    08-28-2014 10:57 PM
    Thanx for the link and chipping in on the 801's speed bump only advantage...
    08-28-2014 11:35 PM
    Can everybody stop complaining about the battery size? Do you really believe that Nokia had any room left with the camera tech, wireless charging, and any other nit picky tech that's going on in the phone that they just couldn't fit a bigger battery? The same goes for the lack of a MicroSD slot, Nokia didn't have enough room for it after everything they forced into the small chassis of the 930/ Icon.

Biggest thing they can do to put a bigger battery is increase the size of the 900 series again, and of they do, I'd prefer a MicroSD slot over a bigger battery, but that may be just me.
    stevemind likes this.
    08-29-2014 12:05 AM
    Can everybody stop complaining about the battery size? Do you really believe that Nokia had any room left with the camera tech, wireless charging, and any other nit picky tech that's going on in the phone that they just couldn't fit a bigger battery? The same goes for the lack of a MicroSD slot, Nokia didn't have enough room for it after everything they forced into the small chassis of the 930/ Icon.

Biggest thing they can do to put a bigger battery is increase the size of the 900 series again, and of they do, I'd prefer a MicroSD slot over a bigger battery, but that may be just me.
    Nokia could offer more choices like a variant called something like "Lumia 930 Plus", and make it 1 or 2 mm thicker, and slightly heavier, offering both a thicker and higher capacity battery, and a mSD card slot.

This is a much better alternative to using a 6.0" format, and forcing many people with average size hands to stretch their fingers and thumb to use the 6.0" format, as I do with my Lumia 1520, but presently there is no other way to get wonderful 2+ days battery life...
    Last edited by Peter Harvey; 08-29-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    08-29-2014 12:51 AM
    Nokia could offer more choices like a variant called something like "Lumia 930 Plus", and make it 1 or 2 mm thicker, and slightly heavier, offering both a thicker and higher capacity battery, and a mSD card slot.

This is a much better alternative to using a 6.0" format, and forcing many people with average size hands to stretch their fingers and thumb to use the 6.0" format, as I do with my Lumia 1520, but presently there is no other way to get wonderful 2+ days battery life...
    I am sure having different hardware versions of the same phone to suit everyone's needs is a wonderful way to do business.

We could have a Lumia 930 Plus which is thicker but has a bigger battery. We'd also have a Lumia 930 Minus which is thinner for the fashion conscious but at the expense of battery size. We could also have a Lumia 930 Selfie with a better front facing camera for the selfie fans; and a Lumia 930 Storage with microSD support. Wonderful ideas! /s
    theefman and gwinegarden like this.
    08-30-2014 03:40 AM
    I am sure having different hardware versions of the same phone to suit everyone's needs is a wonderful way to do business.

We could have a Lumia 930 Plus which is thicker but has a bigger battery. We'd also have a Lumia 930 Minus which is thinner for the fashion conscious but at the expense of battery size. We could also have a Lumia 930 Selfie with a better front facing camera for the selfie fans; and a Lumia 930 Storage with microSD support. Wonderful ideas! /s
    Or a 920 skinny with 16 GB of storage, or a 920 for Verizon users, or a 920 super camera edition.... oh wait
    colinkiama and gwinegarden like this.
    08-30-2014 03:54 AM
    Because the 929 = 930. It was meant to be released last year but verizon struck a deal with microsoft.
    08-30-2014 04:01 AM
    lumia 720 is the perfect example of battery life with just 2000mah
    08-30-2014 04:40 AM

you do realize that lumias tend to be quite a bit chunkier than their competition for some odd reason?
    Yet the competition can put in much larger capacity batteries and Nokia can't. They just aren't that good at utilizing existing space. Samsung S5 can have a fingerprint sensor, MicroSD slot, and an IR sensor and still have a phone that's like half as thick as the Lumia 930 with a larger battery, While having all the same tech stuff inside it as the Lumia 930. What does the Lumia have over that? Well no microSD, no fingerprint sensor, no IR sensor but Oh wireless charging...which I think was ousted as just a thin copper coil connected to the battery and not some 5mm chunk of metal that takes up half the space. As far as I know, the Lumias chunkiness mainly comes from their camera sensors which tend to be pretty fat. And its not like they had no choice in the matter on how big their batteries should be, they always seem to try to go with the 'less is more' approach but it doesn't seem to work in their favor half the time. (they think they can get away with a smaller battery because they believe they can be competitive on the battery life front but a lot of the times it falls short) I remember reveiwers and people complaining about battery life in the Lumia 920 (2000mah battery I think) and think it should bit a bit bigger (2400 or so).

But the battery problem is solved by carrying around a portable USB battery charger. Its the same as carrying around an extra battery for those who want to have swappable batteries anyways....
    People can have their phone last a day and a half good for them. Do they complain when the phone lasts only half the next day and dies because they didn't bother recharging it the night before because it was able to last that whole day?
    Karthik Naik and colinkiama like this.
    08-30-2014 04:47 AM
    Oh no, not again this bs.

Looks like Mars is getting closer to me...
    08-30-2014 07:42 AM
54 123