Turn on emergency messages on AT&T in the US

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have an international Nokia Lumia 930 running on AT&T in the US. Everything works great (who needs LTE), except for the emergency alert messages, amber alerts and so on. Those can be turned on on the 920 but the option are not present in the 930.

Does anybody have an idea how to get those activated?

Thanks,

MCheiron

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Non US ROMs dont have that option, I switched from the ATT ROM on my 920 to the French CV one and i no longer get those alerts or the option to have them.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
So tempted to ditch my 1520 for a 930 on T-Mobile. Can't bring myself to part ways with LTE and Glance though.

To be honest, I am not missing LTE at all. I never streamed video over LTE and surprisingly even Skype works fine without LTE. Glance on the other hand is something I miss a little and the option to receive public alerts here in the US. But I love the 930. Can't have everything I guess.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually stream plenty of video sometimes. I stream live sports when I'm out and about fairly often. That's one thing I'm worried about the lack of LTE affecting. I think I'll see what the Lumia 830 is looking like before making any decisions. Flawlessly streamed an entire college football game on LTE today with about an 8-10% hit on battery life.

lawrencepepper

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am considering doing the same and purchasing a 930 for use here in the states on AT&T.

If you would not mind I have a few questions that I was hoping you could answer:

1: Can I just swap the SIM from my current phone into the 930? Will it work? I want to be able to swap between the phones if I feel I want to go back to my current phone. I realize it is a nano sim BTW.

2: Will the AT&T Visual Voicemail app work?

3: Will I still get the OTA updates? Did yours come with the Cyan update?

4: How is reception? I have read some reports that it does not get great reception.

Any other issues I should be aware of?

Going to make a decision once the 830 is announced.

Thanks for any help!

L

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am considering doing the same and purchasing a 930 for use here in the states on AT&T.

If you would not mind I have a few questions that I was hoping you could answer:

1: Can I just swap the SIM from my current phone into the 930? Will it work? I want to be able to swap between the phones if I feel I want to go back to my current phone. I realize it is a nano sim BTW.

4: How is reception? I have read some reports that it does not get great reception.

Thanks for any help!

L

You would be best served if you posted this as its own thread instead of a random unrelated thread.

1. For the most part, yes, you can swap easily.
2. I believe VVM should work fine.
3. You will get OTA updates when they're released by Nokia (assuming its a factory unlocked model) which is a plus over AT&T usually. The 930 will come with 8.1 + Cyan, all did. The older Icon however, will not just yet. (unrelated fact)
4. I don't know about reception, but keep in mind the people with problems are always the most vocal.
No major, widespread issues AFAIK, although it doesn't mean what you get will be flawless, there's always defects in any phone.

lawrencepepper

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I posted this in a new thread as per your recommendation.

After the 830 leaks this morning I am now leaning more towards this phone as I would like the nicer screen and faster processor.

L

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, I posted this in a new thread as per your recommendation.

After the 830 leaks this morning I am now leaning more towards this phone as I would like the nicer screen and faster processor.

L

Actually, the 830 is rumored to have a lower resolution screen than the 930 (720p vs 1080p). But you may get Glance with the 830. And the processor won't be faster... at best it'll be the same. Rumors suggest either a SD400 or a SD800 (which would be the same as the 930). Of course, LTE would be the added bonus if the phone comes to AT&T as rumored.

lawrencepepper

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I worded the statement wrong, I am leaning towards the 930, not the 830.

I want the high res screen and everything I have read states the 830 will have the SD400 which is quite old and slow.

Very disappointed as it would have been great for me if it had the HD screen and a SD800.

L

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I worded the statement wrong, I am leaning towards the 930, not the 830.

I want the high res screen and everything I have read states the 830 will have the SD400 which is quite old and slow.

Very disappointed as it would have been great for me if it had the HD screen and a SD800.

L

I can live with 720p personally (barely, if at all discernible on a mobile phone screen IMO), but a SD 400 would be a deal breaker for me too. There is hope though... Daniel Rubino is still suggesting it'll be a SD 800.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks for any help!

L

To 1: It works very nicely if you have another nano sim phone or adapter, I do that too.

To 2: No problem. You just need to open it ones when there is a voicemail and it sets up automatically.

To 3: Yes, I think it came with Cyan. Not sure anymore.

To 4: 3G/4G seems a bit better than on the 920, my wife with her 920 had trouble in a building where I still had 3 bars. Since LTE doesn't work here in the US, I cannot say anything about that.

Altogether, I really like it and don't miss LTE.

lawrencepepper

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
mcheiron,

Thanks! Two more questions,

Does mms work receiving as well as sending?

Will it work right out of the box or do I need to make some system setting changes for the AT&T network?

Again, thanks for the help.

L

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
mcheiron,

Thanks! Two more questions,

Does mms work receiving as well as sending?

Will it work right out of the box or do I need to make some system setting changes for the AT&T network?

Again, thanks for the help.

L

I only sent a couple so far to AT&T and Verizon numbers. Both worked. I am mostly using other instant messaging programs to send images.

I didn't have to set up anything. The phone seemed to have recognized the SIM and got the configuration from there or the network.

lawrencepepper

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Update on the 930 on AT&T.

OK, after a few days of use I am back to report on how my new 930 is working out on the AT&T network here in the good ol' US of A.

I received my 930 this past Monday September 8, 2014. The phone itself is beautiful, well made and arrived in perfect condition. There is many a review on this phone and they all pretty much some up this phone so I am not going to elaborate on the phone itself. I just want to clarify how it works on AT&T here in the states for anyone who may may be considering purchasing it.

As for my concerns on using this phone on AT&T.

It works VERY WELL.

1: The SIM. I previously was using a HTC One (M7) which uses a micro SIM. The 930 uses a nano SIM so I needed to cut down the SIM in order for it to fit in the 930. No big deal, I followed instructions found on You Tube and voila it was inserted without a hitch. Turning on the phone for the first time the SIM was detected and I was on the network. No issues.

2: Reception and data. As we all know this phone does not get LTE here in the states. I live in the Philadelphia suburbs where coverage is very good. I have found so far that everywhere I go, home, work around town etc.., I have been consistently getting H+ connections with three or higher bars, usually 4 or 5 with no problems. Download speeds are fine. In my daily use I really do not see a day in and day out apparent difference. Web pages load quickly, maps load quick, streaming begins quickly and is fine. I am not downloading huge files etc, either, but for normal use I am quite pleased.

3: Visual Voice Mail. This worked out of the box, no issues. It setup immediately and works great.

4: SMS MMS. Again, works like a charm. I can send and receive both SMS and MMS messages. No issues.

So far I LOVE this phone. As long as Microsoft keeps improving Windows Phone and supporting it and it's users I think I will remain a customer into future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers