Bottom Right Corner Screen Lift

NexEverto

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else have a screen that has lifted up on the bottom right corner? I know 3 people who have a NL930, and all of them have noticed the bottom right corner of the screen is sitting higher than the left side. I've personally been through two 930s and both have had the same issue. Has anyone actually sent the phone to Nokia in order to have it fixed? Does anyone not have this issue?

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else have a screen that has lifted up on the bottom right corner? I know 3 people who have a NL930, and all of them have noticed the bottom right corner of the screen is sitting higher than the left side. I've personally been through two 930s and both have had the same issue. Has anyone actually sent the phone to Nokia in order to have it fixed? Does anyone not have this issue?

Same here. Doesn't bother me much.

Mine is the black version, HW 2.0.0.2.

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Two 1020 at home, both have the entire bottom part lifted.
If you level the phone to your eyes, looking at the bottom part, you can clearly see light seeping from the capacitive buttons.
Enviado via Nokia Lumia 1020

NexEverto

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Same here. Doesn't bother me much.

Mine is the black version, HW 2.0.0.2.

Black HW 2.0.0.2 here as well. What's your Build date? Both 930s I've had are 20 June 2014. Maybe it's a bad batch?

Though if 1020s have a similar problem, it's probably bad design...

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Black HW 2.0.0.2 here as well. What's your Build date? Both 930s I've had are 20 June 2014. Maybe it's a bad batch?

Though if 1020s have a similar problem, it's probably bad design...

Build date is software related afaik. Also mine is HW 2.0.0.1, for some reason I thought I had 2.0.0.2 but that's actually the one I tested on the store before getting mine.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Until today, I never noticed this. It's only approx 1mm yet it's frustrating.
My hw number is 2.0.0.1

Wonder if its worth getting a replacement?

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I've had four handsets with this problem, sent the latest one back today. I haven't posted on here for a while as wanted to try and find a handset without any issues and really give the phone a chance to sway my decision from my previous posts. Unfortunately, I have given up purely on build quality issues. I actually managed to get over missing/poor app frustrations and really enjoyed using the Update 1 firmware, folders and Cortana etc.

During my frustrations with my first and second 930 I purchased the Galaxy S5 LTE-A version from Korea and I have to say it really is a stonking phone, god knows why Samsung didn't release this as the actual S5 handset, dropped the ball big time with that decision.

Anyhow, back to the Lumia 930. I don't think that it's acceptable to have four handsets with build issues, especially on whats meant to be a flagship device. I have never, in 20 years of having mobile phones, had to send back a handset four times. In fact, over the past 5 years, the only phone I returned on build quality was the first HTC One M8 I received, as the finish around the sim and sd card release holes was unfinished and sharp. In comparison, that is minor, the screen bonding agent failing because the phone gets too hot is a very major concern. For me, I couldn't live with it, as I kept thinking about what it will be like in 6 months time!

I will return to Windows phone when the next Lumia flagship device becomes available, as I really do love the design, OS and camera, but they had better up the quality of the handset by then.

Last edited:

nielsniels

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I doubt the hardware version has anything to do with it; since these devices are being rapidly assembled by people at a conveyor belt, there will always be fluctuations in quality of assembly

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had four handsets with this problem, sent the latest one back today. I haven't posted on here for a while as wanted to try and find a handset without any issues and really give the phone a chance to sway my decision from my previous posts. Unfortunately, I have given up purely on build quality issues. I actually managed to get over missing/poor app frustrations and really enjoyed using the Update 1 firmware, folders and Cortana etc.

During my frustrations with my first and second 930 I purchased the Galaxy S5 LTE-A version from Korea and I have to say it really is a stonking phone, god knows why Samsung didn't release this as the actual S5 handset, dropped the ball big time with that decision.

Anyhow, back to the Lumia 930. I don't think that it's acceptable to have four handsets with build issues, especially on whats meant to be a flagship device. I have never, in 20 years of having mobile phones, had to send back a handset four times. In fact, in the past 5 years, the only phone I returned on build quality was the first HTC One M8 I had as they finished around the sim and sd card release holes was unfinished and sharp. In comparison, that is minor, the screen bonding agent failing because the phone gets too hot is a very major concern. For me, I couldn't live with it, as I kept thinking about what it will be like in 6 months time!

I will return to Windows phone when the next Lumia flagship device becomes available, as I really do love the design, OS and camera, but they had better up the quality of the handset by then.

Agreed, it's definitely the screen bonding agent that's at fault. It's more noticeable in a dark room with light bleed from the capacitive buttons.

Guess I contact the reseller...

This will be another Nokia product I've returned this year. :mad:

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Another one here, screen lifting in bottom right corner, purchased the phone just over a week ago. I'll take it back and see what the retailer says. Back cover has lifted slightly in two places, either side adjacent to the camera button. A shame as it's a very nice phone, hopefully it gets sorted, and if I get another it won't have this issue, although it seems common so chances are there I will.

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Another one here, screen lifting in bottom right corner, purchased the phone just over a week ago. I'll take it back and see what the retailer says. Back cover has lifted slightly in two places, either side adjacent to the camera button. A shame as it's a very nice phone, hopefully it gets sorted, and if I get another it won't have this issue, although it seems common so chances are there I will.

Yep, had that exact same issue across all of the handsets too. On one of the devices it had pretty much come unfastened on one side.

IFA this week, so maybe an alternative handset will show up!

kvmft

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yup same issue here with my NL 930. The entire right side of the screen is about 1mm above the frame. Left side is flush. This is the second handset I have received. I returned the first after I noticed a spec of dust underneath the screen.

Last edited:

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Emailed the reseller, asking for a refund. Going to purchase from MSFT UK once the refund arrives.

The screen lift extends to the usb port now, and is more noticeable.

NexEverto

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Would a phone from MSFT direct be better? Not sure what the difference would be, as they all seem to have issues with the screen bonding glue.

Funnily enough, my most recent 930 got really hot during it's second charge, and that seems to have helped with reducing the lift. Thinking that heating the glue up a little might allowed it to bond a little bit better. Though it's still noticeably lifted and moves under my touch.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Would a phone from MSFT direct be better? Not sure what the difference would be, as they all seem to have issues with the screen bonding glue.

Funnily enough, my most recent 930 got really hot during it's second charge, and that seems to have helped with reducing the lift. Thinking that heating the glue up a little might allowed it to bond a little bit better. Though it's still noticeably lifted and moves under my touch.

It was the recent excessive heating during web browsing that appears to have caused my screen lift.

My friend suggested MSFT UK, couldn't hurt? Perhaps it'll be a different batch?

Last edited:

Nikito27

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Just checked and the bottom part of the screen is lifted compared to the top part. Not just right side, but the entire bottom. Can see ligh bleed if i'm in a dark room and i put the lumia at an angle.
It doesn't really annoy me, never noticed it untill now, but the thing that leaves me baffled is just how bad build quality is with these Lumias!
Hope MS will change things

Jason De Castro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep it happened to the first 930 I had. I just took it my local Telstra store and they sent it for repair. Apparently Nokia replaced all the parts. Screen is perfectly flush now :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb