Bottom Right Corner Screen Lift

NexEverto

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Yep it happened to the first 930 I had. I just took it my local Telstra store and they sent it for repair. Apparently Nokia replaced all the parts. Screen is perfectly flush now :)

Interesting that Telstra sent it off... How long did it take for Nokia/Microsfot to replace the parts? Out of interest, is your headphone jack misaligned after the replacement? Do you remember if was before?

I'm tempted to send mine off to Nokia direct (Or have Harvey Norman do it for me), but I don't want to be without my phone for a week or more. I've been reading some pretty horrible stories on these forums about return times.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It must be a bad batch as my 1520 is fine (am in UK), but I remember buying a HTC wildfire s and as I opened it out the box (factory new and sealed) there was a fingerprint on the camera lens...worse still... It was on the inside and covered in white dust...hence the reason I will never ever buy HTC products again

Heiko Quant

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the issue from a German point of view: I checked across numerous electronics stores and stores of T-Mobile, Vodafone, etc. I wasn't able to find a single phone without the issue. This may be due to the fact that they are chargend and tried out at the same time, so they get very warm. I decided to sent mine back to have it repaired/exchanged. In fact it was "Refurbished (cosmetic renewal) [350]". From the repair sheet they used no less than 3 different adhesives (LTE Adhesive, Mimo Coax Flex Conductive Adhesive and Vibra Flex Conductive Adhesive) to get the job done. The result is indeed flawless, save for the addition of a scratch on the back cover. So it seems like the problem can at least be fixed. I still do not understand, why their flagship phone has a problem, none of their other phones from the current line-up seems to have.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the issue from a German point of view: I checked across numerous electronics stores and stores of T-Mobile, Vodafone, etc. I wasn't able to find a single phone without the issue. This may be due to the fact that they are chargend and tried out at the same time, so they get very warm. I decided to sent mine back to have it repaired/exchanged. In fact it was "Refurbished (cosmetic renewal) [350]". From the repair sheet they used no less than 3 different adhesives (LTE Adhesive, Mimo Coax Flex Conductive Adhesive and Vibra Flex Conductive Adhesive) to get the job done. The result is indeed flawless, save for the addition of a scratch on the back cover. So it seems like the problem can at least be fixed. I still do not understand, why their flagship phone has a problem, none of their other phones from the current line-up seems to have.

Let us know if it stays in place :) I also bought mine in Germany but not willing to send it to repair if it's not worth it.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Spoke to my friend recently, he asked the company he bought his 930 from to arrange a repair which took 10 days. A week ago he got his phone back.
On Monday (8th Sept) he noticed the screen lifting again, he also saw same the 3 adhesives used listed on the repair note.
He's now requested a refund and says he'll never buy another Nokia (this is the latest in a long line of faulty Nokias for him).

I'm just waiting for Clove to reply as I've decided on a replacement.

Last edited:

Heiko Quant

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
My bottom right AND top left corners are not flush with the frame.

It has not caused any usability issue until now.

That's a real break, it looks an feels crap, but the screen still works nicely. If Nokia was Apple,
People would go mental on a global scale.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Damn it! The right side of the screen is lifted on my device.

Shame, I like the phone. See what O2 says tomorrow.

Last edited:

NexEverto

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
On Monday (8th Sept) he noticed the screen lifting again, he also saw same 3 adhesives used listed on the repair note.

That's really disappointing to hear, though I have to admit, it's all that surprising. I think my current NL930 is going to go in for repairs/evaluation due to a heating issue, so I imagine I'll end up get getting my screen repaired/replaced as well.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Damn it! The right side of the screen is lifted on my device.

Shame, I like the phone. See what O2 says tomorrow.

Well Nokia have had my phone nearly a week now. The second time I called them they actually wanted me to veryify the defect again, like they're not aware of the issue.

If it comes back un-repaired it's going straight back.

Last edited:

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
It's been 10 days since I wrote to Clove, I'm seriously considering writing to Nokia UK to sort this out as my screen lift is getting worse.

Didn't the heating issues get fixed on the Icon? :mad:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have two Lumia Icons (same thing as 930).

One is white, and is literally perfect on all corners of the screen - 100% flush to bezel.

The other is black, and none of the corners were exactly flush out of the box. The top right is up maybe 0.5mm, top left 0.3mm, bottom right 0.3mm, bottom left 0.1mm.

My take on this - report it to whoever services your warranty in case you need to make a claim for a proximity sensor issue down the road. There is a chance that absolutely nothing serious will come out of your screen lift, but there is also a chance that the screen lift can get bad enough where the proximity sensor malfunctions; this is generally when the screen lift is to the point that you can fit a fingernail behind the screen. It is less likely, but also possible, that a phone without screen lift at first can develop it.

Unfortunately for this type of screen design it is a common issue with many recent Nokias. I also experienced it on the 928 and read it happening on the 830 and 930/Icon as well. There seems to be a pretty high percent chance you will experience this issue.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This issue is down to poor design by Nokia the aluminium bands are touching the processor which are also touching the epoxy that holds the screen down. Windows 8.1 is poorly optimized for the 930 which results in a lot of heat which expands and breaks the epoxy down I've tested this a few times using epoxy on the outside of the band and can clearly see it expand from the heat so I can only imagine how bad it is on the inside of the device so pretty much every 930 that has a slight heating problem will have the screen lift issue

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
This issue is down to poor design by Nokia the aluminium bands are touching the processor which are also touching the epoxy that holds the screen down. Windows 8.1 is poorly optimized for the 930 which results in a lot of heat which expands and breaks the epoxy down I've tested this a few times using epoxy on the outside of the band and can clearly see it expand from the heat so I can only imagine how bad it is on the inside of the device so pretty much every 930 that has a slight heating problem will have the screen lift issue

Honestly I don't think the true cause is related to the heat at all. Like I said I have two Icons, one perfect, the other was lifted slightly out of the box on all corners before it was ever used. If it was heat related then they both would have been perfect out of the box.

Instead, it is likely due to mass manufacturing assembly error where the screen is very simply not positioned properly during bonding. Or, the bonding agent is not applied properly (i.e. not given enough time to set, incorrect amount applied). This positioning error and/or incorrect bonding application error results in slight lift, which then later can allow for heat, force and the elements to further lift the screen; if the bonding agent and positioning was done properly, the bonding agent should be able to handle the heat without issue. Another possibility is warped glass that is inclined to pull up at the edges. However, further lift/issue is not guaranteed 100% to happen to all phones down the road; in most cases it will likely just be a cosmetic issue.

It is a tough call to decide what to do, as getting a replacement can be a hassle and is not guaranteed to be any different as it seems a common experience with this model. On the other hand, some companies consider screen lift "physical damage" not covered by the warranty - while I don't think Microsoft/Nokia falls into that category, once you get beyond the 1yr warranty some 3rd party extended warranties do consider it physical damage.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers