Lumia 930 heating and battery draining.

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Well after a week of using this phone I realized that it was getting very hot when browsing and playing games. So after reading some posts about the heating problems I did a hard reset... And the phone seems to run cooler than usual.
After having this problem solved... Sort of...i found out that the battery 🔋 is draining very quickly over Wi-Fi and the bottom part of the aluminum frame gets very hot. I know that because of the aluminum chassis of the phone the heat transfer is faster...resulting in a burning metal band...even when I'm wrighting this post the phone keeps heating from time to time (guess when it transfers data over wifi).

What it bothers me though is that no actual Nokia news about the problem was even released. And their official forum had no answers as it feels abandoned... I praise the WP central forums as I managed to get alot of help from this community.

Ow... My phone cooled down after I finished typing... So it must be the Wi-Fi antenna.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would like to help you but I've been stuck with a defective 930 for 6 weeks and Microsoft has yet to replace it. They "don't have stock" they say.

Nokia has nothing to do with this any more, they've washed their hands off the devices business so it's now Microsoft's horrible customer support that should have addressed this. But being this Microsoft, they won't. They also promised an update to the display app to fix the purple tint and until today, nothing.

The heating and battery draining have been countlessly reported but Microsoft is more concerned in shoving out more phones instead of fixing the bloody flagship it seems.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I've taken a liking to the 930 though I use a 1520. It's baffling to me that Nokia/Microsoft couldn't get this phone right despite having a half-year head start with the Icon in the U.S. You would think they could work out the kinks during the Icon phase before releasing it as the 930.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
rest assured, you're not alone! Lumia 925 also has this problem, sometimes you just can't touch some parts of the phone because of the heat ;) and people keep saying "its normal that modern smartphone gets hot", yeah sure, but not *this* hot :\

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
mine doesn't get hot... I posted a thread to compare this to my old 920. My old 920 used to get hot with poor battery life. My current 930 has good battery life and doesn't get hot.

you can read about it by looking for my thread

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have had this issue happen a few times now and when it happens I look into "battery saver" to see which app seems to be using the battery quickly and have found a couple of occasions it was the Nokia Camera app. Let me explain what I have found so far. I had taken a few photos but instead of closing the camera app I just let the phone go into sleep mode (Nokia Camera app is now in background), I then put my phone in my trouser pocket and maybe walk around for a bit. I have also been dancing after I have taken a few photos as well. Obviously from the dancing or just waking the phone is being shaken a bit. The phone then gets very hot so I check to see what app is running down the battery, I find that it is the Nokia camera app, so I just power down my phone, bring it straight back up and the phone then gets cool again.

Is it the Nokia Camera app, the operating system WP 8.1 or the firmware, I really don't know but this has been my experience so far. I have also factory reset my phone as well which didn't stop the issue.

Anybody else had a similar experience?

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
My 920 use to get really hot after Cyan update. I'm starting to think that this problem is WP 8.1 once Black Update and 8.0 battery life it was perfect (almost two days) and nothing about warm/hot phone.

anon(4213556)

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Have this phone for 3 weeks now. Initially battery drain was a big issue but for some reason that has settled , without change in apps settings or installed.

I still get the heating issue at times, chiefly when I'm exiting an app sometimes the home screen just freezes and keeps on loading...then the phone turns off and takes a few presses before it'll turn off, battery then drains amazingly quick....might happen two times a week.

Otherwise I find the standby battery very good, was at a busy day at work with data enabled, didn't get to do much bar check the odd message and news reading over lunch, went home and battery was 65% after 9h at work

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have carried out further research into this issue and I now know that it is not a specific app that is causing the issue.

In the last couple of weeks it has happened about three times. Each time I have checked which app has the greatest drain on the battery using "battery saver" to find out and it has been different apps. The one thing that I have noticed when I have the battery drain is that the app that has the high battery usage is still running in background.

As normal I power the phone down and power it back up and everything goes back to normal.

This to me says that it is either firmware or operating system.

My 930 is still on WP 8.1 and I have not updated it to update 1 yet so it must be an issue with the original build or WP 8.1 on the 930.

Anybody else having this issue? If you are can you add comments on this tread please.

Regards.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
i have my 930 for about two weeks, it gets hot but not very hot wich i think it's normal but it cools very fast after... about the battery well... in stand by it's very good really but when you use it for something it's crap, drains battery very fast. example, when finishing charging the phone my previous phone(925) used to be on 100% for hours this one takes one minute to start draining. other, listening to music my 925 drain very little battery and this one wwooowww... drains a lot of it... please MSF sort this out.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I had an issue where I used my Lumia 930 at 1pm to send a text, I exited back to the home screen, closed all background applications and locked the phone. At this point it has approx. 80% battery.

At 3pm I picked it up and it was ROASTING hot, it even warmed the table underneath it...it was uncomfortable to hold. I unlocked it and saw the battery was a lot lower than before, when I tried to swipe down the Action Centre to see the % it froze and I had to hard-reset it (hold down power button until it died).

After rebooting it was 20%!!!!!! So...50% gone in 2 hours. It was like an old Windows machine that froze on a 100% CPU.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Browsing, youtube videos even in tube apps, nothing of these make my 930 hot. And that's with LTE on and WiFi too! Which is very different from my Lumia 925 experience, who heats up with all of these things.

Only games. But this is inherent to smartphone architeture and the technology available for now.

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
if you have live lockscreen beta uninstall it and go for the bing lockscreen.

Also sometimes the phone does heat up at random times, it must be a task or service in the background. Anyhow I have my 930 monitored, and if it starts to heat up when locked, I restart the phone, and after that it runs ice cold. By doing that i`ve managaed to get 2 days of battery life with medium to hard usage.

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
When on youtube(on ie) the videos run smoothly and the phone stays cool. If you run a race game like asphalt 8 in 10 minutes you can grill some bacon with it. I think the heating is caused by the poor optimization of the games on the WP

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I have carried out further research into this issue and I now know that it is not a specific app that is causing the issue.

In the last couple of weeks it has happened about three times. Each time I have checked which app has the greatest drain on the battery using "battery saver" to find out and it has been different apps. The one thing that I have noticed when I have the battery drain is that the app that has the high battery usage is still running in background.

As normal I power the phone down and power it back up and everything goes back to normal.

This to me says that it is either firmware or operating system.

My 930 is still on WP 8.1 and I have not updated it to update 1 yet so it must be an issue with the original build or WP 8.1 on the 930.

Anybody else having this issue? If you are can you add comments on this tread please.

Regards.

I have the same issue. The only thing I can do is always touching my phone and prevent it to heat up by restarting it... It usually heats up when the start screen resumes...which is quite odd.

Alecsandru Andrei

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem from day one when I first bought this phone. Sometimes it will get really hot for no reason. It happened to me at night and the next day the phone was dead. I arrived late at work because the alarm did not sound because the phone was dead.

Sometimes it would just get hot, really hot. This sucks the battery like crazy. Also I notice that sometimes gps starts for no reason. I notice this because when I open the phone the gps icon is active for no reason. I do not like this one bit. My phone is tracking me without me noticing it and I do not want to.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem from day one when I first bought this phone. Sometimes it will get really hot for no reason. It happened to me at night and the next day the phone was dead. I arrived late at work because the alarm did not sound because the phone was dead.

Sometimes it would just get hot, really hot. This sucks the battery like crazy. Also I notice that sometimes gps starts for no reason. I notice this because when I open the phone the gps icon is active for no reason. I do not like this one bit. My phone is tracking me without me noticing it and I do not want to.

Did you try to hard reset your Lumia 930?

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have had this issue happen a few times now and when it happens I look into "battery saver" to see which app seems to be using the battery quickly and have found a couple of occasions it was the Nokia Camera app. Let me explain what I have found so far. I had taken a few photos but instead of closing the camera app I just let the phone go into sleep mode (Nokia Camera app is now in background), I then put my phone in my trouser pocket and maybe walk around for a bit. I have also been dancing after I have taken a few photos as well. Obviously from the dancing or just waking the phone is being shaken a bit. The phone then gets very hot so I check to see what app is running down the battery, I find that it is the Nokia camera app, so I just power down my phone, bring it straight back up and the phone then gets cool again.

Is it the Nokia Camera app, the operating system WP 8.1 or the firmware, I really don't know but this has been my experience so far. I have also factory reset my phone as well which didn't stop the issue.

Anybody else had a similar experience?

I don't know if you have a defective device but let me assure you, if you're going to have the camera in the background for an extended time it WILL get hot and the battery life WILL suck. Mine has no heating or draining issues but the camera is a powerful tool that does suck battery pretty heavily and does make the processor work. So really, IMO, if you actually close the camera and then you have normal temperatures and good battery there is no problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)