Thinking of buying a 930, would you recommend it?

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been dying to get a 930 but after reading all the negative comments here on WPcentral I'm not so sure. Screen and temperature problems, are they common?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
People have reported a lot of screen issues, some have even had warped backs, etc.

If your local retailer offers a trial for a few days or week, I would suggest getting a Lumia 930 and if everything works great for the first few days(or weeks) I don't there is any reason that the phone will just randomly show issues later onwards.

But then again I've never owned or seen a 930, so other people may be able to guide you better. But according to reviews I've seen, people generally have a very positive opinion on the device oh and it looks beautiful.

jack_faust

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I came from a 920 and love it so far, I have had some battery issues but I have a sneaking suspicion it was Skype and the recent update may have resolved it. Camera's good and Denim should fix the low light graininess or at least reduce it. I think it's lovely in hot orange!

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes. The 930 isn't really any more defective than any other phone to ever exist. Regardless of phone you will find a people complaining typically about similar issues, sure, there are bad batches but that's what warranty is for.

I have nothing bad to say about my 930, I came from a 920. Considering I paid 600? for my 920 and only 500? for my 930 (both bought at launch), I thought it was a pretty sweet deal :D

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes I'd recommend it. I've just got one this week and I'm really pleased so far. To read more about my time with the phone, feel free to read my thread called "My Lumia 930 Experience".

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Care to elaborate?

No. :D Just kidding.

The 930 has serious quality issues as you can read from this forum. I have a 930 that has the red hue problem on the screen. Thats clearly more visible in the lower part of the screen, so it actually might be a HW fault. I visited Nokia service center near my house, they said I need to wait for the software update thats coming sometime later and see does it fix the screen. If not, I might need to take it in.

The battery of the 930 is quite disapointing. I would compare it with the battery of the 920, which is pretty poor as it is 2000mAh. Later updates might improve it, but what I said above also I wouldnt recommend it now. Maybe later, but only maybe. Also I think the other quality issues of the 930 are real. Warping of the backcover due to heat?

I have the 930 and the 1520. I went back n forth with them for some weeks and even though I wanted to love 930 I just couldnt, it kept disapointing me, so the 1520 stays and 930 goes.

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
No. :D Just kidding.

The 930 has serious quality issues as you can read from this forum. I have a 930 that has the red hue problem on the screen. Thats clearly more visible in the lower part of the screen, so it actually might be a HW fault. I visited Nokia service center near my house, they said I need to wait for the software update thats coming sometime later and see does it fix the screen. If not, I might need to take it in.

The battery of the 930 is quite disapointing. I would compare it with the battery of the L920, which is pretty poor as it is 2000mAh. Later updates might improve it, but what I said above also I wouldnt recommend it now. Maybe later, but only maybe. Also I think the other quality issues of the 930 are real. Warping of the backcover due to heat?

I have the L930 and the 1520. I went back n forth with them for some weeks and even though I wanted to love 930 I just couldnt, it kept disapointing me, so the 1520 stays and 930 goes.
Thanks, I think I'll wait for newer hardware... I'm not prepared to take a chance with the 930. 1520 is waaaaay too big, otherwise I would buy it immediately.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the 1520 is "little" big, it has some advantages of course due to its size. I bought both devices roughly at the same time, month or so ago. So for a very long time, I didnt think the 1520 is for me.

Now I do think its the best WP out there (havent tested the M8).

If playing the game of later updates improving the devices.... If merging WP and RT would bring some tablet functions to the L1520, this could be the best phone ever made. At the moment it is lagging little due to WP being immature and dragging it down from its full potential.

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My previous phone was the 925, and before that the 920, and I couln?t be happier, I think it combine the best of both, so I would recommend, also since I haven?t experience none of the commented bugs...mine is unlocked bought in Germany.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Quoting myself to tell you guys I couldn't resist the urge after all. I just ordered a 930 (orange). Jeez...

Make sure you check it over as soon as you get it.

After a month I've had to send mine back. Screen lift issue and the back isn't fit properly.

Personally, when I get it back, fixed hopefully, I will cut my loses, sell it and get a Lumia 1520.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Like I say in another topic, I'm in love with Lumia 930.

The screen is gorgeous, i've never see anything like that in my life. Beautiful contrast level, colors are perfect and have a good saturation, the brightness is huge too..

I have no problems with heating, only when playing games (every smartphone have this problem). The purple colors only happens when brightness are too low - really low! - and actually I like that. It's good when you don't want a lot of light like at night on bed. I don't think it's a bug.

The camera is STUNNING! The DNG capability is really something.

I totally recomend Lumia 930. By far, very far, it's the best Windows Phone I have ever put my hands on.

I'm missing Glance Screen and performance on Hungry Shark is very bad. 2 complaints I have, I think it's OK.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Like I say in another topic, I'm in love with Lumia 930.

The screen is gorgeous, i've never see anything like that in my life. Beautiful contrast level, colors are perfect and have a good saturation, the brightness is huge too..

I have no problems with heating, only when playing games (every smartphone have this problem). The purple colors only happens when brightness are too low - really low! - and actually I like that. It's good when you don't want a lot of light like at night on bed. I don't think it's a bug.

The camera is STUNNING! The DNG capability is really something.

I totally recomend Lumia 930. By far, very far, it's the best Windows Phone I have ever put my hands on.

I'm missing Glance Screen and performance on Hungry Shark is very bad. 2 complaints I have, I think it's OK.

Thanks for the info. Btw Hungry Shark is a badly optimized application, stutters a bit on Android as well even with Snapdragon 800.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! About Hungry Shark, my friend have a LG G Pad and works flawless! Seems like 60FPS all the time.

It all comes down to optimization. My Nexus 5(with similar hardware to the 930) stutters a bit only when the game starts up with your shark falling into the water. It's all good after that.

On the bright side however you could measure the FPS your 930 gets by using the Project My Screen app made by Microsoft.

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Make sure you check it over as soon as you get it.

After a month I've had to send mine back. Screen lift issue and the back isn't fit properly.

Personally, when I get it back, fixed hopefully, I will cut my loses, sell it and get a Lumia 1520.
Will the screen lift issue be visible out of the box or do I need to wait and see?

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
i just got mine last week. and i love it. no problems at all for now, no purple tint on the screen and the battery it?s ok. i came from a 925 and the battery was a bit worse than this one. but i'm om DP so maybe its not optimised. its a gorgeous phone, great screen. i'm in love for this ****er... go for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss