Thinking of buying a 930, would you recommend it?

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
It took mine 3 weeks to reveal itself. Pretty much all of the right side of the screen lifts out the aluminium frame. Pop it back in and it works it's way out again. Unfortunately O2 wont replace the unit, and they have had it in repair for nearly a week.

Here's a thread devoted to it.
That's too bad... I wonder how common this issue is? If it's pretty rare I think I'll take my chances. I tried a 1520 today and it is ridiculous () so I guess 930 is my only shot if I don't want to wait for like a year for a new flagship.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok you've checked everybody, now it's my turn!

I am using Windows Phone since 2010 and HTC Trophy. 930 is my 3rd proper flagship Lumia after having 800 and then 920. (btw this order in my opinion is how people should be buying Lumia's flagships from the beginning ) I have learn everything about the issues and how to deal wih Lumias etc,.

Most of the negative comments that you read about Lumia 930 applied to mine 800 and 920 just after they have launched....but then due to way lower user base it wasn't such a big deal. Right now with at least 10x more users you just get this complaining like you do with iPhone and Android users after certain anticipated device comes out. TRUST ME ,all of them are getting similar treatment from people. I am trying to be honest here and yes my 930 has average battery life but it varies on how long you leave it on charge and how you use it. I have learned over the years that I get the best battery life when I let my battery drain and then leave on charge for 3 hours no more no less and that together with some internet surfing but having Wifi and mobile data off when not needed keeps it strong. As of screen issues, speed problems and freezes these all got patched for me over the time I've been using these phone in fact when I first got 920 I hated it and when I was switching to 930 I kept 920 for a month more because of how good it was for me. Now with 930 the story is again the same first few weeks in July where bad because few things frustrated me but somehow now it's all good and I already love the phone. You have to remember to use your own judgement because there are lots of spoilt people out there with sky high expectations that will always be dissatisfied. Give 930 a go (especially when 1520 is so big)!

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have to pitch in here and say that apart from the issue with the screen lift on my 930 I love the phone.

I came from Android after 4 years to the 930. Love the screen, love the look, love Windows. I just feel that the build on the 930, in my case, has issues.

Just annoys me that such a nice phone can have a major flaw in build quality.

Conodihno

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I also love my 930 and hate to see it go back in the box to get looked at. But I still think that interference from a antenna that results in weird screen issues are far from ok. And I'm not the only one with this thing. Other than that I still think the 930 is the way to go :)

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my 930, but I have to admit it does have more issues than I've had with other phones (iPhone3G, iPhone4, Samsung GS3 for comparison).

- Screen seems to flicker slightly on the Nokia Here Maps app.
- It does get hot with heavy use.
- Wireless charging pad included sucks and you need to get it in a sweet spot. The worst thing is waking up in the morning to see your phone only half charged. I'm now using my old USB charger for my Galaxy S3.

The most recent problem is when it seemed to freeze with the CPU at 100%...I put the phone down and locked it at 1pm @ 80% battery. I picked it up at 3pm and it was HOT...like seriously HOT. I tried to unlock it but it had frozen, so I hard reset it. It started to cool down but the battery was 20%...60% gone in 2 hours!!!!

So yeah. Buy it, but accept that there are some issues. Personally I would've waited for the HTC One M8 if I could rewind time. I had no idea it was coming though. My issues with the phone (and Windows Phone) don't affect me much as I have an iPhone5S to fall back to (provided by my employer). If a website doesn't play nice with Internet Explorer or some other browser app (UC Browser for example) I tend to use Safari on the iPhone. Or if Nokia Maps is being useless like it can be sometimes I go back to Google Maps. I have that luxury...but be prepared if you don't.

Note: I've had the Lumia 930 since launch date in the UK (19th July maybe?? Sh*t...where has the time gone?!)
Note 2: Also I used my iPhone5S for Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation once (free data, so why not!) and the iPhone was roasting hot. Hotter than the Lumia 930 could ever get. My old Galaxy S3 also got hot. It's a common issue these days as components get more powerful. The more 1s and 0s they can shunt around, the more heat they produce.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The 930 build quality is all over the place. Mines fine. The nagging issues is the screen hue (mines kinda purplish at the bottom, most noticeable on the IE address bar) which I think is an ongoing calibration issue ( anandtech has a 930 review with a screen calibration test and the 930 is way off from ideal). Dunno how they can muck that up so badly. It does get hot under heavy gaming (normal occurance, You can't beat physics. The chip is working hard and the only thing that is cooling it is probably a thin piece of metal. Probably could use a better material or slightly thicker piece to help absorb the heat better or larger piece to spread the heat out a bit better. I had an LG optimus 7 way back when which would heat up during gaming. Don't think it got as hot as my Lumia though. But it was also way weaker. It's still an awesome phone but it's got its share of issues

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The 930 build quality is all over the place. Mines fine. The nagging issues is the screen hue (mines kinda purplish at the bottom, most noticeable on the IE address bar) which I think is an ongoing calibration issue ( anandtech has a 930 review with a screen calibration test and the 930 is way off from ideal). Dunno how they can muck that up so badly. It does get hot under heavy gaming (normal occurance, You can't beat physics. The chip is working hard and the only thing that is cooling it is probably a thin piece of metal. Probably could use a better material or slightly thicker piece to help absorb the heat better or larger piece to spread the heat out a bit better. I had an LG optimus 7 way back when which would heat up during gaming. Don't think it got as hot as my Lumia though. But it was also way weaker. It's still an awesome phone but it's got its share of issues

Every smartphone I tested until now have HUGE problems with heating when there are serious demand for CPU or GPU. Samsung S3/4/5, Nexus 4/5, Moto X, Iphone (all of them), etc.

So I really don't understand why people complain about that if every single smart have this problem. I just don't get it.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The problems you have maybe other people don't. Like me. So we don't need to accept there are some issues. At least the same issues.

True. I probably should've said "Buy it, but expect issues".

To be honest I wouldn't call them issues - but rather just poor features and design of the phone.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Every smartphone I tested until now have HUGE problems with heating when there are serious demand for CPU or GPU. Samsung S3/4/5, Nexus 4/5, Moto X, Iphone (all of them), etc.

So I really don't understand why people complain about that if every single smart have this problem. I just don't get it.

In my opinion, I feel the Lumia 930 heats up too quickly. For example I could browse the web (Amazon, WP Central etc.) on an iPhone5S or my old Samsung S3 and it'll stay cool. Or use Google Maps to search for directions. But the 930 heats up just by browsing the net - not at first, but it quickly gets warm. That's when it is noticeable.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, I feel the Lumia 930 heats up too quickly. For example I could browse the web (Amazon, WP Central etc.) on an iPhone5S or my old Samsung S3 and it'll stay cool. Or use Google Maps to search for directions. But the 930 heats up just by browsing the net - not at first, but it quickly gets warm. That's when it is noticeable.

One of the things I liked more on Lumia 930 is just the fact that there's no heat when browsing. At least my Lumia 930. Only when playing games or browsing on Youtube. But, like I say, this is my experience.

DepletedQuark

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I received the 930 yesterday, but I'm returning it tomorrow. I can't quite put my finger on why I'm not keeping it:

-No purple screen issues (maybe I'm blind :D)
-It didn't run hot
-Love the design
-The camera blew my Nexus 5 out of the water

I'm not a fan of AMOLED screens though and the battery time seems to be pretty bad. Didn't like the way the phone fit in my hand either. I guess I'll just keep my Nexus and wait for the 1030/Surface phone etc.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
These comments don't help me either. Think the 930 is great but the issues do seem to be a little on the common side. But then again it's price has recently dropped and they're doing the free charger and speaker offer again. So,

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
My dad's 930 has weird screen hue when pop up buttons like OK/Cancel appear on the screen. The home screen is perfect but in some cases the blacks come out a bit grey-purpley.

His 930 also developed an issue after about a week whereby calls would intermittently cut out; the other person could still hear him, but he'd stop hearing them.

A third issue began to develop where his proximity sensor would go haywire, so that mid-call, his screen would go black even if his phone isn't up against his head. The problem got so bad that the moment you dial a number the screen blacks out and there's no way to hang up the call without powering the device off and on.

He sent it for repairs; they changed the entire screen/digitizer. It was okay for a few days but he says the calls cutting out problem has crept back again.

Sorry but combined with the tap/touch problems on the 1520, and my brother's 920 playing up with spammed MMS messages daily (the guy only sent him ONE message, EVER), I am really disappointed with Nokia's unacceptable level of quality control lately. The fact the latest, green 1520 has the same problem is shocking. How could they have failed to fix that problem in the meantime? How come firmware can't fix the 930 problem? If not firmware, do latest batches fix the problem? ******* abysmal standards!

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
These comments don't help me either. Think the 930 is great but the issues do seem to be a little on the common side. But then again it's price has recently dropped and they're doing the free charger and speaker offer again. So,

When you have a problem, you will surely come here and will complain. 100% sure about that!

But if you're ok with your device, you tend not to pay attention to these topics.

Just a few people with problems, 930 is a great device, most are 100% happy. Even in this topic you can verify that.

Sure you have some faulty devices here and there, but this is absolutely expected.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
When you have a problem, you will surely come here and will complain. 100% sure about that!

But if you're ok with your device, you tend not to pay attention to these topics.

Just a few people with problems, 930 is a great device, most are 100% happy. Even in this topic you can verify that.

Sure you have some faulty devices here and there, but this is absolutely expected.

Depends how aware you are of things like heating, screen tint etc. I'm quite picky about stuff like that. Or in my other post about the screen, when it's off, isn't black - it's like a green/grey/black mixture - which is offset against the "jet black" bezel. It's not a fault, but just something that gives it a cheaper feel compared to its rivals.

I only bought it because it's the best Windows Phone available at the moment. But no doubt if other manufacturers really threw their weight behind Windows Phone and pumped out their equivalent Android flagships but running WP 8.1 then I wouldn't look twice at the Lumia.

Entirely my opinion of course, but if you want the best WP experience - get a Lumia 930. But it doesn't mean the 930 is the best smartphone out there, it's top 10 but not top 5 - balancing up design, attention to detail, battery, screen, camera etc.

k1x1987

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello together,

i need an adivce. I ordered the 930 on friday because i found a special offer, which sells the 930 for 300 EUR (regular ca. 440 EUR). I am a huge WP fan(first device Samsung Omnia 7 - WP7), but my current device is a nexus 5. I want to change back to WP, im tired of Android.

Now i read all the threads about the high amount of defects with this device (screen, back cover, etc.) and now im thoughtful if i immediately should return the phone and wait for a better "flagship". I dont want to return the phone 10 times till i get a decent one without display faults etc.

So any suggestions?

Thx

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello together,

i need an adivce. I ordered the 930 on friday because i found a special offer, which sells the 930 for 300 EUR (regular ca. 440 EUR). I am a huge WP fan(first device Samsung Omnia 7 - WP7), but my current device is a nexus 5. I want to change back to WP, im tired of Android.

Now i read all the threads about the high amount of defects with this device (screen, back cover, etc.) and now im thoughtful if i immediately should return the phone and wait for a better "flagship". I dont want to return the phone 10 times till i get a decent one without display faults etc.

So any suggestions?

Thx

Not everyone who bought a Lumia 930 has had issues, so I don't think you should be all that worried.

Hopefully yours will be fine.

May I ask, why are you leaving your Nexus 5?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon