Thinking of buying a 930, would you recommend it?

k1x1987

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Not everyone who bought a Lumia 930 has had issues, so I don't think you should be all that worried.

Hopefully yours will be fine.

May I ask, why are you leaving your Nexus 5?

I'm not 100% sure that i'll leave my nexus 5. My reasons are mainly subjective. I always loved the style/design language of WP and the synergy with Windows PCs (i think microsoft now begins to extend this synergy).

But maybe i should wait till WP 9, because my nexus 5 is still fine .. dont know .. need new toys ;D

Billy Mcleod

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
i just swapped my iphone 5s for 930 about 2 weeks ago and i love it, i had the 920 then jumped to android and to i5s and i can say for me the windows phone operating system is the best i love the live tiles,and dont listen to the theres no good apps on wp, its nonsense ihave a barrow load of games camera news and the here apps and i can say that the nokia apps are the best ive used i love the here driving navigation and mix radio is great also, i love thecamera as well it has the best user interface bar none, and the battery iis almost twice as long lasting as the 5s, i would def recomend and dont think ill leave windows phone ever again

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
My experience with Lumia 930 was mixed. I've decided to ditch it because the problems it had were not something I could get over with. I won't tell what I've chose instead to avoid starting a "that's better war" here, I'll just point out what was wrong with it that made me sell it and go somewhere else.
First of all I decided to try the 930 over my iphone 5S which now has gone to my wife.
So, about thing I liked about it:
  • design
  • Camera
  • Screen
  • Fast.No lags
What I did not like and these might be mixed reasons: firmware+Windows Phone OS flaws+hardware build:
  • Was getting way to HOT!! even when browsing the web. This might be caused by poor build or improper OS CPU Core management
  • The issue with screen keep coming on when calling was not fixed even now after so much time (and no I was not using a screen protector)
  • Wifi signal was a mess on the same location, same wifi network compared to 2 other different platform phones
  • Cellular was showing No Service when leaving 3G coverage area. The phone was taking too much time to switch to 2G/EDGE by itself, had to do it manually.
  • WP 8.1 Update 1 Dev Preview version had serious issues: phone was suddenly getting in airplane mode then restarting by itself.
  • Continuous focus made the HW Camera button almost unusefull: when image was focused, half pressing the camera button did nothing, in this case when you needed the focus assist light you had to move the phone to make the button focus manually.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Check my previous posts and you will see that I had to send my 930 off to repair, all were issues with its build quality. I got it back unrepaired and with damage. That was it. Nokia didn't think the screen lifting out the frame was an issue. And after getting it back with a dent in the frame I asked for a replacement.

I now have the 1520 and I'm very happy with it.

Here's my conclusion. The 930 is a little unconventional by design, but it still looks amazing. But if it was a 5 inch version of the 1520 I'd still have the 930 now.

Dragonic87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My 930 is absolutely fine.
It gets warm but not as bad as people make it, plus my previous phone also got hot at times(and my buddy says his G3 also gets hot sometimes) so I take it as something that happens... remember these phones do not really have CPU coolers like PCs does.
Only issue I have it that sometimes my grays goes a bit purple on low brightness. However if I manually set it to low it's fine.

k1x1987

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Today i checked the 930 at a local store. One thing i noticed is, that the white's are far more yellow than on my nexus 5. I know that generally OLED display dont have that good white, but i could notice a huge difference by holding the two devices togehter.

Is is that bad for every OLED Display? Or is it a hardware fault of the 930 or can it get fixed via software? (the lumia was on WP 8.1 - Lumia Cyan and not a single app was updated ever)

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a 820 and just pulled the trigger on a black 930 sold by E-Plus here in Germany (new) for only 299€. That is a steal price - if it has issues it will go back for exchange. Eventually Microsoft should be able to iron out the hardware issues. I run Developer Preview on my 820 and it works really well.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Today i checked the 930 at a local store. One thing i noticed is, that the white's are far more yellow than on my nexus 5. I know that generally OLED display dont have that good white, but i could notice a huge difference by holding the two devices togehter.

Is is that bad for every OLED Display? Or is it a hardware fault of the 930 or can it get fixed via software? (the lumia was on WP 8.1 - Lumia Cyan and not a single app was updated ever)

On Settings you can chage the white temperature. So you can change it for more blue or yellow. It's your choice.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My 930 is absolutely fine.
It gets warm but not as bad as people make it, plus my previous phone also got hot at times(and my buddy says his G3 also gets hot sometimes) so I take it as something that happens... remember these phones do not really have CPU coolers like PCs does.
Only issue I have it that sometimes my grays goes a bit purple on low brightness. However if I manually set it to low it's fine.

Yeah!

I think people who complain about how hot/warm 930 can be are buying their first smartphone ever. Because every smartphone have this issue. Gets really hot when you play, gets warm and you see a video or browsing for a long time. Especially on hot locals.

About purple at low brightness display, maybe it's for save battery. I think it's purposeful. Only happens when the screen brightness is on the minimum settings available.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

Don't let that put you off. You can set the colour temperature of the display in the settings. If you want it really white then set it to cool.

EDIT: Already mentioned above.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah!

I think people who complain about how hot/warm 930 can be are buying their first smartphone ever. Because every smartphone have this issue. Gets really hot when you play, gets warm and you see a video or browsing for a long time. Especially on hot locals.

About purple at low brightness display, maybe it's for save battery. I think it's purposeful. Only happens when the screen brightness is on the minimum settings available.

The iPhone5S also gets hot under heavy use. Though the 930 gets warm from internet browsing which seems odd, no other smartphone I've owned (iPhone3G, iPhone4, iPhone5S, Galaxy S3, HTC One M7 briefly) has that issue.

But it's not a big deal.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone5S also gets hot under heavy use. Though the 930 gets warm from internet browsing which seems odd, no other smartphone I've owned (iPhone3G, iPhone4, iPhone5S, Galaxy S3, HTC One M7 briefly) has that issue.

But it's not a big deal.

GDR1 improves it for me. Since then even a long time of browsing it's not enough to make my 930 warm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon