930 an flagship device that is software outdated for two months!

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok so loving my 930 with the cyan update installed and had this phone for two months.
After a week that I got my phone WP 8.11 was announced for DP. So I waited for it to go live for cyan update. that didn't happen. After a month leaks for GDR2 were out so I hoped that 8.11 will get to my phone. Turns out that im dead wrong.

Microsoft presentation of the 830 and 730-735 with DENIM update out of the box...why they are not updating the rest of the lumias to denim and have to wait till December for some news.

I thought that by having a flagship you get the latest updates first because that is what flagship mean.(the latest and greatest that a company has)

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Lumia's 830 730 735 will not be carrying the full denim versions. Hardware limitation will stop a good few more lower Lumia's getting it to. At the present time only the 930 and 1520 will be getting the full denim treatment ! well once the updates roll out now.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Lumia's 830 730 735 will not be carrying the full denim versions. Hardware limitation will stop a good few more lower Lumia's getting it to. At the present time only the 930 and 1520 will be getting the full denim treatment ! well once the updates roll out now.
All lumias will get windows phone 8.1.1 with denim update however not all futures will be available. Non the less I think what the threat is about is that Lumia 930 and 1520 should get denim update as soon as Lumia 830 and 730 launches or even before. Apple announced iphone 6 which came with ios 8 couple of days before iphone 6 launch old iPhones already started getting ios8

BjornDoD

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I am running the 930 with both cyan and 8.1 GDR 1, you should be doing the same.
Check your about sections under Settings -> About to see what OS version you got. You can use this for reference:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Phone_version_history#Windows_Phone_8.1

Like the others said, 930 will receive the full Denim update too, with all soft features enabled, but that comes through your carrier and not the DP program.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft will roll out the Denim update to 930 user's when it's ready.
Some people are just to impatience to wait.
It's not a life or death situation, the update will come sooner or later.

FranBlagru

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Outdated software for 2 months? Patience... Denim will roll out for all devices, but it won't happen suddenly... Windows Phone is the OS that supports all of its devices in my opinion. I have a Lumia 920 which is like 2 years old... If it ran android, its last update would be a year ago. If you want an early look at the incoming updates just install the developer's preview.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The carriers are responsible for updates. If you don't have the last update for Lumia 930, complain with your carrier. At now the last update is 8.1 GDR1. Denin is not available yet.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind the 930 was released in July. That was when WP8.1 and Cyan is the most recent available commercial release to date. The HTC One I think has GDR1 out of the box (im not sure though) because it gives support for the snapdragon 801 processor.

Windows phone is updating pretty fast with GDR1 and GDR2 before the end of the year. Before this kind of sort of half year surge, we've been seeing major releases like 1 every 3 or 6 months or something.

Before you get your panties in a bunch, DENIM comes with 830 and 730 which are coming out in the next little while (ie not quite here yet but will be soon). That's probably around the time the updates start rolling out the existing handsets (but that may vary, we've seen carriers release updates way later than official release). And fret not the 930 and 1520 are equipped with the snapdragon 800, these devices will support everything that Denim has to offer.
When the software is updated far later than the most recent hardware, don't expect the hardware to suddenly carry the most recent software until its been released for public consumption.

A lot of people twist the definition of flagship. It doesn't mean it gets the latest and greatest software FIRST (but based on the WP update rollouts the top line units usually get it first). It just means it HAS the latest and greatest at the time of its release (because its the latest and greatest hardware release from the company). And because the 930 was released back in July, the latest and greatest software release was WP8.1 and cyan. the HTC one came later and I think it has WP8.1.1 (GDR1). The 730 and 830 are somewhere around now will get DENIM with WP8.1.1.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just for a reference point for us in the US.

The Nokia Lumia Icon is the exact same hardware as the 930, with even less software/firmware. We still do not have an official release of WP8.1/Cyan.

Okay, now back to your complaining.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Denim is out on the NEW phones. 930 is OLD. Even if you call it flagship in comparison to 830 it is old. So new gets newest software - understandable.

Now when it comes to rolling out update - it isn't rolled out to anything yet, so why would you expect it on *any* old flagship or no flagship device?

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Just for a reference point for us in the US.

The Nokia Lumia Icon is the exact same hardware as the 930, with even less software/firmware. We still do not have an official release of WP8.1/Cyan.

Okay, now back to your complaining.

Lumia Icon is only Verizon, right? If yes, like I say before, we need to complain with carriers, not Microsoft.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Now that update 1 has been released for the 930, I guess we won't be hearing from the OP for awhile :winktongue:

Carriers will also be the ones to blame for starting the fragmentation process, T-mobile not electing not to update the 810 and there are rumors floating around that the HTC 8s may not get updated either by the carriers apparently due to the lack of on-board storage (which was the most common reason given). I doubt this is true however as the 530 has the same amount of onboard storage and ships with 8.1 out of the box.

Eduard Vlad Ilie

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
If you know the Lumia 930 had some screen color flaws and overheating problems but after a while I got gdr1 without denim.its still cyan. The best thing is that there is finally an update to fix the issues that the Lumia 930 phone had. I don't cared about denim I just wanted an working phone. And now I have it.

So I gues denim is the next step so I will not mind waiting for some time to be live.

P.D. I don't use DP as this is my daily driver and I use the phone a lot.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused... If the Lumia 930 is an International version that is not supported by any of the carriers in North America... How can the carrier be the ones sending out the updates? I was under the impression that for this model they would come directly from Microsoft/Nokia much like updates to Nexus phones.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused... If the Lumia 930 is an International version that is not supported by any of the carriers in North America... How can the carrier be the ones sending out the updates? I was under the impression that for this model they would come directly from Microsoft/Nokia much like updates to Nexus phones.

Here in the UK, some of the network's subsidise the handset price & will install there branding, splash screen's & CRapp's on to the handset / in to the firmware.

O2 network here in the UK is one of the worse for this! There customers with 930's still haven't had the 8.1.1 update yet, it's currently still being tested according to O2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers