Screen isn't true black when off

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Looking at my Lumia 930 sitting next to my work phone - an iPhone5S. With both screens turned off, the Lumia 930 has that off-black/not-quite-grey colour which is more noticeable against a black bezel, while the iPhone5S is black from top to bottom including bezel.

It bugs me. In some angles with light reflecting off it, it looks like one of those cheap screens you get on Casio calculators...anyone know why? I heard the iPhone brings the screen as close as possible to the touchscreen glass...does the 930 have a gap?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're talking about. My Icon's bezel is a lighter color than the display when off.

The 930's display is Clear Black OLED. The black really does not get much truer than the 930's display. The iPhone 5s is LED-backlit. Meaning it's actually the one with the gray screen.

The "light reflecting" that you talk about is due to the curved glass on the display. It's friggen beautiful... The display screams premium to me. I don't know how you walk away with "cheap screens from Casio calculators."

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to think Ignition 1 just hates Lumia 930 and need to spread it. The screen is absolutely beautiful the best I ever seen in my life.

Why someone is worried about a display turned off????

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I am being picky, I agree.

Lol - I do like the Lumia 930, but there are issues with it. You're right though I have been talking bad about it a lot, although in most of the posts that's all people seem to want to know about it...the bad points. I guess I just want to warn people, especially those coming from iPhones or other flagships, or people like me who are hyper-aware of design (the good and the bad).

Regardless - side by side the 930 has a lighter "black" than the bezel black when the screen is off. It's worse when the sun reflects off it. When it's on of course it looks great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon