Lumia 930 stuttering?

ShadowDK

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
If its caused by the live lock screen. Turning the kids corner back on resolves any lingering issues once the app is uninstalled.

I never installed the live lock screen, so that's not the issue for me :(

I don't know what to think, seems like many people are having similar issues, while others claim all is fine :(

It's been like this from day one on my 930. Anyone got any suggestion for what I could do to fix this issue?

ShadowDK

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

I don't know what to think, seems like many people are having similar issues, whole others claim all is fine :(

It's been like this since I got my 930 :( anyone got any suggestions for what I could do to fix this issue?

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

I don't know what to think, seems like many people are having similar issues, whole others claim all is fine :(

It's been like this since I got my 930 :( anyone got any suggestions for what I could do to fix this issue?

Have tried the scrolling in IE, or Instagram beta? In these apps, there is no problem at all, everything is smooth... Making me thinking about a coding bug or a way to code apps where fast smartphones don't manage well the scrolling.... I... don't know...

ShadowDK

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, especially after 8.1 update 1 IE is actually very good, very smooth scrolling. My phone is also smooth in other places like the app list, and when scrolling through the list of mails in the mail app.. the Store app itself is also always 100% smooth...

But so many third party apps are stuttering, and also some Microsoft apps, News for example.. :(

Leonardo Acquisti

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
another update, my start screen was lagging again... often after the stand by wake up.
Yesterday evening i tried to uninstall the analog live tile app and everything is working fine till now...

tanyet

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I feel like it's a dirty secret that these Lumia's and WP lags all over the place. I don't think it's optimized for a 1080 screen and that coupled with the terrible optimization of most third party apps makes it bad. I still love the idea and design behind all of it and I'll continue to hope that it's gets better.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, i have lumia 630 dual and i noticed some stattering too, i hoped that Windows phone will be smooth as they always say on reviews even on lowend phones but its not. Here are few things i have noticed so far: when i pin cortana tile on start screen there is almost always lag when returnig to it from any app (there is like a little pause before otherwise smooth animation transition apear), next thing is that when i am scrolling slowly with my finger on the screen scrolling s lagy like its not capable to track my finger right, but when i do quick swipe and lift my finger scrolling is smooth. Recently i saw review of lumia 630 and there was said that stuttering during scrolling on start screen is because of low refresh rate of the display. I cant imagie that to be issue with flagship like lumia 930 but one can never know, hope for fix on denim and future updates (if Windows 10 will be availible as update for old devices)

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, i have lumia 630 dual and i noticed some stattering too, i hoped that Windows phone will be smooth as they always say on reviews even on lowend phones but its not. Here are few things i have noticed so far: when i pin cortana tile on start screen there is almost always lag when returnig to it from any app (there is like a little pause before otherwise smooth animation transition apear), next thing is that when i am scrolling slowly with my finger on the screen scrolling s lagy like its not capable to track my finger right, but when i do quick swipe and lift my finger scrolling is smooth. Recently i saw review of lumia 630 and there was said that stuttering during scrolling on start screen is because of low refresh rate of the display. I cant imagie that to be issue with flagship like lumia 930 but one can never know, hope for fix on denim and future updates (if Windows 10 will be availible as update for old devices)

The Cortana thing is a know bug. Just unpin it and use Search button instead of.

About lag on scroll, never happens with any WP i had until now (710, Omnia W, 820, 925 and 930 now). Maybe it's a thing about 630 display, like you say, I don't know. But for a $129 smartphone, I don't think it's a problem.

ShadowDK

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I dont have Cortana in my region, but I definitely have lag when scrolling on my Lumia 930. Haven't tried other windows phones as this one is my first.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I dont have Cortana in my region, but I definitely have lag when scrolling on my Lumia 930. Haven't tried other windows phones as this one is my first.

Lag? Are you sure?

Because I've noticed that people are making a big confusion between lag and refresh rate or dynamic resolution. Two very different things.

Lag or stuttering, better saying, is this:

When you trying to scrolling and device stop from work for a very little time or have a lag animation.

Lumia 930 or any other Lumia device should not have any stuttering. Windows Phone is a very smooth OS, so if you are experiencing stuttering, should you look for Nokia Care for warranty.

Refresh rate "or" dynamic resolution "issue" happens when you trying to scrolling and the image looks little blurry, not too sharp like still image. And it's not a issue.

ShadowDK

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What I am experiencing is not as bad as in the video you linked. It varies a lot how much it stutters. When scrolling down the app list it never stutters. It also never stutters when scrolling through the list of emails in the mail app. When it does stutter, its like it stops scrolling for a split second a couple of times when scrolling or flicking down.

One example where its bad is in the Windows Central app, when scrolling down the news list.

It seems like many people in this thread are experiencing similar issues, which makes it a bit hard to believe that my particular device should be defective.

Gwenddoleu

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
What I am experiencing is not as bad as in the video you linked. It varies a lot how much it stutters. When scrolling down the app list it never stutters. It also never stutters when scrolling through the list of emails in the mail app. When it does stutter, its like it stops scrolling for a split second a couple of times when scrolling or flicking down.
It seems like many people in this thread are experiencing similar issues, which makes it a bit hard to believe that my particular device should be defective.

I totally agree with you.
Some apps have this jitty, flickering scrolling, other don't have. So IMO it can only be related to the coding of apps.
- Flipboard, Instagram beta scroll good
- IE, Pin.it (pin.it v2.0 Public Preview | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) e.g. scroll perfectly
- ... and Facebook, and many other app don't scroll well (flickery, jitty)
I think our only hope is optimized apps, updates, and... Windows 10 ;-)

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Check for updates in settings > phone updates. Install it if it exists. If it doesn't it doesn't matter. Then do a hard reset. Settings > about > test my phone and don't restore your back up.
Your phone should be fresh.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I recently fixed my 1020 back to the (near) buttery smoothness I had it when I wasn't on DP. Here's what I did:

Uninstalled any live clock tile apps
Uninstalled Tetra Lockscreen (also a heavy battery drainer, what a shame as I really liked the lock screen)
Unpinned and disabled Cortana (yeah I kinda miss her now :p)
Changed back to original region (I had it set to US)
Rifled through Battery Saver and disabled any tasks I didn't want running (I still have 10 or so)
Rifled through notifications and cut down on those
Uninstalled any apps I don't use
Shortened Start screen, unpinned some and then used folders for some (I.e. games)
Cleared temp files
Soft reset

Now I get two days charge like I used to and it runs as smooth as when I first got it...I'll run some more tests to figure out whether changing the region to one outside your original one makes the phone lag...I've got a feeling it's Cortana mainly

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

One example where its bad is in the Windows Central app, when scrolling down the news list.

Never happens to me in any app, include Windows Central app.

It's a deffective device or something else. I just can guarantee that: this is not normal. EVEN on a Lumia 520. You can be sure about that. Windows Phone is the most smoothness mobile operation system. By far! There's no such of thing like stuttering on Windows Phone at all.

I just made this videon on a Samsung SIII:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with you.
Some apps have this jitty, flickering scrolling, other don't have. So IMO it can only be related to the coding of apps.
- Flipboard, Instagram beta scroll good
- IE, Pin.it (pin.it v2.0 Public Preview | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) e.g. scroll perfectly
- ... and Facebook, and many other app don't scroll well (flickery, jitty)
I think our only hope is optimized apps, updates, and... Windows 10 ;-)

In the video I made above the Facebook app scrolls very smooth, like you can see. There's my experience in every Windows Phone I've had until now. Probably there's a app or another that have stuttering scrolling, but i just don't remember any. Everything runs so smooth, specially on Lumia 930.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb