Upgrade time... 920 to 930, advice please...

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, my upgrade is now due, having used the 920 for two years I am impressed, no lag and still runs like it came out of the box. So the obvious choice would be to get a 930. Nice phone, personally don't think it is as iconic looking as the 920, but still nice. One flaw, does not have glance screen, that's a real shame, very useful! So do I plump for the 930 or is there another flagship model round the corner, I can easily live with the 920 for another month or two if so.

Also I was contemplating the iphone 6, both my daughters have iphone 5c, luckily I get to pay for them... we sat down the other night and I asked them to show me why I should get an iphone, there was not function, shortcut etc they showed me that my phone also did not so, especially now we have a notification centre. Plus wireless charging and better maps and considerably cheaper, granted less apps, but I have the apps I need.

So advice please, 930 or wait for the next flagship model, only applicable if a month or two, not waiting 6 months :)

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
It seems it's a choice between the 930 and the 1520, pretty much the same phone except for body style and size. 1520 has glance. I have the 930, my wife had the 1520 and we're both happy with our choices. I think if a new flagship was due before Christmas we'd have more info by now. Possibly a "1030"at some point.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the 1520 is available anymore, certainly not on EE. Ideally I always like to get a phone which is pretty new so it sees me through the two year contract, 1520 has been out for quite a while now. From reading the reviews on here about the 930 it seems generally the only advantage is the screen. The 920 is a great phone, maybe I should go sim only for a few months, no point signing in to a new two year contract for a phone that only has a better screen, I'm happy with the 920 screen, think it looks better and has Glance. But will a new flagship Lumina come out now Microsoft own it...

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There no flag ship Lumia on the horizon ! at the present time its the 930 or the 1520. I'm a 930 user coming from the 925 and I prefer 930 any day ( I miss glance ) but not deal breaker either, I find I'm using the 930 more and get a day with the battery with medium to heavy use. The screen great and camera takes damn good pictures. QI charging there and 930 got a good grip in hand feel which I found the 925 didn't. Also the 930 will be one of the first phones to get the denim update which will bring voice activation for Cortana and the new camera software features of faster opening, capture and record HD quality. Don't have any thoughts on or for a iPhone apart from I'm not thrilled on it.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yup, would love a new a new phone, but the pragmatist side of me is starting to stay wait, just not sure the 930 is a big enough upgrade to warrant a two year contract... screen and camera are big pluses, but I also have 8.1 now on 920 and cortana coming soon. So basically I am getting a new phone phone that does everything mine does already, granted a bigger and better screen, but at the cost of glance, I remember the days before Glance constantly clicking the button to seethe home screen, I'm self employed and one email account is quite important, I need to jump on emails. Now I just GLANCE down. Am pretty sold into the windows phone environment, also have a surface tablet, but being a designer I also work on Apple Macs all day, and have a Mac Laptop. I like Apple and like windows 8, for me I think the iphone OS is a bit to simplistic, lots of back and forwards, prefer the windows OS for phone and also Tablet, prefer Apple for Desktop, Laptop. Plus prefer the price of the 930 compared to iphone 6...

vnlong

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I've been using L930 for a month now, and trust me, it totally worths the update. The 930 has longer lasting battery time (mine can stay 1.5 days with a single charge, and Im quite a heavy user), gorgerous display, superb design and great camera in comparison with the L920. Ofcourse it gets hot during browsing data or playing games, but that's not a big deal to me. But if u decide to update, just remember to check the display and camera carefully.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Well plucked for the 930 in the end. Got a real good price so that made my decision for me. What do I need to check in the camera and display?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon