Battery drain: Location Services ?

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have had my new 930 and was pretty impressed with it, until I noticed the battery just about lasts a day with low/moderate use (no games, only chats and email).

I have the latest Cyan and the latest DP update. I've been playing with a lot of settings and turning apps off in background, etc.

My latest change was turning location services off and since then the battery life is very good. I charged yesterday morning after installing the DP updates and now the phone is still at 69%. I've turned on all background apps except Facebook and Skype.

Has anyone else disabled location services and then seen an improvement in battery drain?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Location services and Tap to Send are two of the biggest battery drainers going. That along with using mobile data on the phone for a period of time, especially if you're in a poor connectivity area.

Whatsapp and Skype are also big for draining battery life at least for me anyway.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Location services are most likely active on most devices and the result will be a poor user experience. Hope MS addresses this in GDR2 (if technically at all possible).

I do not have any drain issues with WhatsApp or Skype at all (using Beta versions though...).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Location services are most likely active on most devices and the result will be a poor user experience. Hope MS addresses this in GDR2 (if technically at all possible).

I do not have any drain issues with WhatsApp or Skype at all (using Beta versions though...).

I didn't think there were beta versions of those two apps..

Most people on here know that Location Services drain battery. However, with MS pushing Cortana, which requires Location Services to be on, you are correct in your statement.

No one knows for sure why certain things seem to drain the battery more than others but I've had major issues with battery drain for some time. I can't use my GPS without it killing my battery, even plugged in. Data also drains my battery with extended use which is why I mentioned it.

Let's hope they sort it at some time.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have now re-enabled location services but disabled WiFi-Optimization. The battery drain still seems to be at the same (very good) level as before...... :confused:

Last edited:

SumairB

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I have location on a lot because I use Quiet Hours (Cortana) frequently. I have noticed that battery drains slightly faster when location is on. Lumia 520, Cyan+GDR1.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs