12-18-2014 01:26 AM
108 12345
tools
    My battery has been average since day one. With light use I get one day, with heavy use I have to give it a boost charge by the evening as it's touching 20%.

I've now got to know 2 other Lumia 930 owners in the UK here at my company and we all have the same experience. It's liveable but I don't believe anyone who says they get 2 days out of it. With mobile data off, brightness on low and barely using it for messaging/phoning - maybe you can.

My two biggest disappointments of the 930 are the battery life and camera, the latter of which seems to take worse photos than my iPhone 5S. Also the keyboard is horrible compared to the iPhone stock and SwiftKey (Android or iOS)...MS need to allow 3rd party keyboards like Apple has done.

I love the keyboard from the OS.
    For me best experience on all platforms.
    11-04-2014 01:15 AM
    2 days battery?? LOL

Only 1520.

2500mah for 3000mah is only about 20% battery. And Windows Phone is know as the most efficient in this particulary aspect. So maybe 10% is the real difference if you compare with others.

Maybe there's a lot of faulty device here, I don't know. That's not my problem too. My Lumia 930 can EASILY stand a day with VERY HEAVY use, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER flagship.

I have a coworker who have a G3. everyday he charges it, EVERYDAY. My mother have a Samsung S5 and everyday she charges it too. There's no such a thing like "2 days battery".

1020 have a better battery life?????????? 920???????????????????

You HAVE to be trolling with us. Pathetic.
    Yes. Both my 920 and 1020 last more than the 930. Also, the 930 has a 2420mAh battery. Not 2500mAh. And no, the 930 isn't a faulty unit because it's not even the first 930 I have and they ALL had horrible battery life. And a lot of other people are reporting the same problems with battery life. So my conclusion is: you're lying.
    Perhaps you feel better if you convince yourself that the battery of the 930 is great to appease the disappointment. I don't care.

And yes, 2 days on the Z3C. And there are people that are getting even more with light use. Don't be ignorant. If you don't believe me, go do some research. Google it. Or head over to Android Central.
    Also, learn the difference between the S5, the G3 and the SONY XPERIA Z3 COMPACT which is the one I said has 2 days battery life (and has a 2600mAh battery).
    11-04-2014 06:24 AM
    I love the keyboard from the OS.
    For me best experience on all platforms.
    It seems hit or miss for me, or my typing style. But then I'm used to SwiftKey which lets me be pretty lazy with my typing and still hit the right key. It's amazing how it does it.

Another annoying part of the stock WP keyboard is that it doesn't always offer predictions in 3rd party apps (like UC Browser)...though you would say it's not MS's fault, it seems strange to me as predictions appear to be part of the stock keyboard app...so not sure why a 3rd party app would need to allow it. In the same 3rd party app it works when typing into other parts.

Odd issue but meh. I've raised it with the developer so fingers crossed.
    11-04-2014 11:18 AM
    It may have been mentioned before in the thread... I found what killed my battery is email trying to sync in the background. I used to have gmail trying to sync too often and getting stuck. I deleted gmail account from the phone completely. Another problem is poor wireless signal.
    11-04-2014 12:36 PM
    Yes. Both my 920 and 1020 last more than the 930. Also, the 930 has a 2420mAh battery. Not 2500mAh. And no, the 930 isn't a faulty unit because it's not even the first 930 I have and they ALL had horrible battery life. And a lot of other people are reporting the same problems with battery life. So my conclusion is: you're lying.
    Perhaps you feel better if you convince yourself that the battery of the 930 is great to appease the disappointment. I don't care.

And yes, 2 days on the Z3C. And there are people that are getting even more with light use. Don't be ignorant. If you don't believe me, go do some research. Google it. Or head over to Android Central.
    Also, learn the difference between the S5, the G3 and the SONY XPERIA Z3 COMPACT which is the one I said has 2 days battery life (and has a 2600mAh battery).
    Now this is something shocking to hear that 930, lasts less than 920, despite having bigger battery. My brand new 930 lasts only for a day. With my old 920, I happened to recharge batter every alternate day. This is bit sad, where I was expecting around 20-30% battery improvement for 930 over 920.
    11-05-2014 01:57 AM
    How do you guys get 2 days of power on Lumia 920. As m battery does not last for a day. Any tips to save battery
    11-05-2014 02:57 AM
    1) I always keep my battery saver on
    2) I always keep the settings to 2G and mobile date off. Only when I am using it, I turn on Mobile data and change the settings from 2G to 3G.
    3) In batter saver there are only 4 applications which I have allowed to be run on background, for rest of the apps i have disabled
    4) I keep WIFI turned off, if I not at home.
    5) GPS is always turned off, unless I want to open map or use Nokia Drive.

Although despite having glance screen, double tap to wake up and super sensitive touch. My old 920s battery happened to last for 48 hours. My 3G usage is very limited, not more than 1 hour. Sometimes I don't even use it for days. As I have broadband at home. With my 930, I keep the same settings, but its battery lasts for only a day. Is it because of my old SIM? My SIM is more than 10 years old and when the dealer cut it into Nano, some portion of chipset too was cut.

I know 930 doesn't have a great battery like 1520 and 1320. But most of us in this form came from 920, so we are used to low battery. So it should have 30-40% more power than 920.
    11-05-2014 03:52 AM
    Also, depending on how old your battery is and how you kept it charged, it has lost capacity, which is completely normal with lithium batteries.

:)
    Fred

How do you guys get 2 days of power on Lumia 920. As m battery does not last for a day. Any tips to save battery
    11-05-2014 07:13 AM
    I have a Lumia 930 since Saturday and the battery drains really fast (compared to my second hand Lumia 920). Not so fast I have to charge it 2 times a day though. But when I disconnect it from the power source, after a few minutes it already says 99% where my 920 is doing an hour before it drops the first percent.
    And then it goes bad. Disconnected it over an hour ago and it is already at 88%, not even using WhatsApp which makes it drain even more. My L920 would be at 99 at that point with the same amount of usage and even more apps running in the background.

Nevertheless, I had the feeling with my previous windows phones that the OS had to adjust to your usage to give an accurate reading of the battery, how long it can last and after a few days it gets better. So I really hope for that. I also noticed that at some percentages it 'hangs' for a while, like it did stayed at 4% for an hour ago.

And maybe it is because my L930 runs wp8.1 update 1, but still on cyan obviously. So maybe Denim can solve it a bit?
    maverick786us likes this.
    11-06-2014 05:13 PM
    I have a Lumia 930 since Saturday and the battery drains really fast (compared to my second hand Lumia 920). Not so fast I have to charge it 2 times a day though. But when I disconnect it from the power source, after a few minutes it already says 99% where my 920 is doing an hour before it drops the first percent.
    And then it goes bad. Disconnected it over an hour ago and it is already at 88%, not even using WhatsApp which makes it drain even more. My L920 would be at 99 at that point with the same amount of usage and even more apps running in the background.

Nevertheless, I had the feeling with my previous windows phones that the OS had to adjust to your usage to give an accurate reading of the battery, how long it can last and after a few days it gets better. So I really hope for that. I also noticed that at some percentages it 'hangs' for a while, like it did stayed at 4% for an hour ago.

And maybe it is because my L930 runs wp8.1 update 1, but still on cyan obviously. So maybe Denim can solve it a bit?
    I upgraded my 920 to WP 8.1 update one developer preview last month. But its battery was still better. So how will Denim enhance the batter of 930? Although Nokia device are famous for horrible battery when intially launched, after couple of updates, its battery improves. I have experienced this with Lumia 900, 920 and now 930. Dad's 1320 is an exception. But it is because of the huge size.
    11-06-2014 10:23 PM
    I upgraded my 920 to WP 8.1 update one developer preview last month. But its battery was still better. So how will Denim enhance the batter of 930? Although Nokia device are famous for horrible battery when intially launched, after couple of updates, its battery improves. I have experienced this with Lumia 900, 920 and now 930. Dad's 1320 is an exception. But it is because of the huge size.
    You just contradicted yourself :P. Like you said, updates sometimes improve battery life, and Denim is a (firmware) update. And if any kind of update is known for improving battery life it is firmware updates, because firmware can change the way the phone's hardware and OS interact with each other.

But weird that you said that the DP got you the same battery life since it is known that the DP previews are terrible for battery life, which I experienced too with my HTC 8X and Lumia 920.

Switching from my L920 to my L930 did actually even felt the same as updating my L920 to the DP of windows 8.1, which was terrible for battery life. Lumia cyan brought it back to normal as expected. That's why I think Denim can solve the problem a bit. Not that I am on a DP, but maybe WP 8.1 update 1 and cyan create bugs in in some ways that are only to be resolved with Firmware, thus Denim. But we'll see.
    11-07-2014 07:31 AM
    BTW my battery has suddenly started getting better. Don't know if it was soft reset or something else
    11-07-2014 09:36 PM
    My battery already lasted 21 hours and I'm now on 45%. So it does better, but I didn't use the phone much at all. And a few minutes ago it was on 49%, posting on Windows Central takes easily a few percentages off.

P.S. It already dropped to 44%!
    11-09-2014 11:48 AM
    I have an icon on Verizon with preview for developers. My battery was very bad. So I did a hard reset. My battery actually got worse after that. And not to mention the few other glitches my phone had. Those didn't get any better. What can I do now?
    11-09-2014 03:59 PM
    I have an icon on Verizon with preview for developers. My battery was very bad. So I did a hard reset. My battery actually got worse after that. And not to mention the few other glitches my phone had. Those didn't get any better. What can I do now?
    time to trade it for a real smartphone, such as Z3C, Note 4, or even an old lgg2 with its two day battery.
    11-10-2014 04:47 PM
    time to trade it for a real smartphone, such as Z3C, Note 4, or even an old lgg2 with its two day battery.
    I can't. My two year contract started in August of this year.
    11-10-2014 07:49 PM
    After the battery saver update to preview for developers a few days ago, my battery has been better when I'm not using the phone.
    maverick786us likes this.
    11-15-2014 05:57 PM
    I think should disable the built places on lumia 930
    11-18-2014 12:19 AM
    After the battery saver update to preview for developers a few days ago, my battery has been better when I'm not using the phone.
    Even I have experienced this improvement. Now my battery lasts more than 48 hours after this upgrade
    11-18-2014 02:11 AM
    I've had my 930 since last Thursday. Phones great. It does get hot with use towards the bottom, but not so hot that I can't hold it. Also, the battery life is ok on standby but as soon as you use anything it goes down rapidly. I took it off charge this morning and didn't use it all and after 2 hours it had lost 2%. My year old 1020 with the same backup however was off charge for 3hr 51mins and lost only 1%. that's with gps on and 15 apps allowed to run in the background but none were open. I don't know whether to take it to a service centre for a replacement or his this just how the phone operates?

Any suggestions, I've already done a hard reset and also numerous soft ones. i'm at a loss.
    11-18-2014 05:17 AM
    I've had my 930 since last Thursday. Phones great. It does get hot with use towards the bottom, but not so hot that I can't hold it. Also, the battery life is ok on standby but as soon as you use anything it goes down rapidly. I took it off charge this morning and didn't use it all and after 2 hours it had lost 2%. My year old 1020 with the same backup however was off charge for 3hr 51mins and lost only 1%. that's with gps on and 15 apps allowed to run in the background but none were open. I don't know whether to take it to a service centre for a replacement or his this just how the phone operates?

Any suggestions, I've already done a hard reset and also numerous soft ones. i'm at a loss.
    Dude losing 2% in 2 hours is great. My icon loses 1 or 2 percent an hour on standby depending on the connections.
    11-18-2014 11:33 PM
    Ok after reading all this, i have decided to register on this forum and post my 2 cents on this :)
    sooo..umm... Hi all :

My 930 battery last 1 full day if i don't abuse it too much. Sure, that little mAh for that kind of phone is just embarasing and stupid. I mean cmon :/

Because of what i did to my last battery in Nokia E7 (run time of 1 hour), i am taking a realy good care of this one. I try to charge only when completely empy, closing all apps i don't need as soon as i'm done, my emails and other online notifications, weather and chats are only updated when i connect to a wifi, same with onedrive. I do however have LTE always on with good reception, location too (find my phone off tho). I type about 50 texts per day and talk for about 20-30 min, but i do quite some browsing.

Anyways, i am actively keeping an eye on my bat. usage, and all the graphs i saw abowe seem very very good to me heh. Here's what i'm talking about:

Last 48 hours graph:
    wp_ss_20141120_0001.jpg

You can see how fast this thing goes down. Not normal..

Statistics
    wp_ss_20141120_0002.jpg

As you can see on this pic, my average runtime from full charge is 1 day, and i am being very carefull. If i browse the web a bit too much, my battery drains within 5 hours. I noticed something else that some of you did aswell. When i sleep (everything is OFF), in the morning i see that the bat. level has droped about 9-10%, not doing anything at all.

I haven't done a reset yet, but now that i've read about it here, i'll try and see if it will help. Fingers crossed that Denim might fix some things about this issue.

Take care
    11-20-2014 03:54 PM
    Good luck with that. I'm taking mine to a service centre on Saturday to be looked at in the hope of getting a replacement. Mines exactly the same. The other day I took it off charge and I lost 1% in about 2mins. It's ridiculous and not normal. The battery also gets warm if I'm using the phone for more than 5mins. If I'm on the phone for about 10-15mins I can expect to lose about 10% that's not usable in the real world. Sure the phone has ok standby (at the moment I lose 1% an hour, on my 1020 it's about 1% every 4 hours) but what am I suppose to do? Not use the phone all day.

Rant over.
    11-20-2014 05:38 PM
    I highly doubt service will do anything heh. They can just say it is the way it was meant to be, nothing you can do about it... Getting hot doesn't bother me that much tho, i'm just glad i don't have any purple or other issues some people have... But i was actually considering about swapping a more powerfull bat. inside :D Not sure if any fits tho...
    11-20-2014 05:43 PM
    <SNIP>
    I try to charge only when completely empy,

Take care
    Actually, for best battery life (max capacity over time with the least amount of lose) , it's best to keep the battery topped off and not wait until it's low before charging.
    Lithium's do not like being deeply discharged at all and will hold up better over time if kept topped.

:)
    Fred
    11-20-2014 06:32 PM
108 12345