Battery Love/Hate Relationship

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello WPC pps

I've recently (sep. 29) bought the Lumia 930 and I'm loving it.
Especially in the first week of usage I was amazed by the battery compared to 920 e.g..
After over 2 weeks now something strange is happening, while using my phone moderate it drains my battery way too quickly and with heavy usage over the morning/afternoon i kind of have to get to a charger before i go to bed.
(Pictures included for reference)

The two major things i've done over the first week of getting it before this problem occured was trying to catch up on all my old apps and changing my phone to become american so I could have a go with Cortana (I'm from Denmark).

Does anyone have similar problems or fixes for this? , I just reset the phone to try it out without installing too many useless apps and not changing it to american.

Let me point out that when i took the second picture i've been using it quite little, just some regular social media for maybe less than an hour today other than that its been in my pocket all day, the first picture i used it moderate over the 2 whole days.
wp_ss_20141007_0001.jpg wp_ss_20141016_0002.jpg

:unhappysweat:

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
gerzhwin - yup i know and i turned it off delibertly to save power now but I just think there is something more to it than just usage of Cortana? I think the 30+% after 1day + 10 hours compared to 8 hours is insane ? But I have just reset my device and will try to run without cortana for now and see if that changes.

waylon - well thats pretty sad :( sucked like suck on my second picture? The app us just called "Battery" in the store made by arthur semenov

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah thanks, will check it out. I find that I need to charge my phone few times during the day. That being said, I do read a lot of articles on my device. Just ordered a QI usb charger so that I can charge it when its on my desk, which will hopefully help.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes the wireless charging does indeed make it more convenient. And with tons of usage and article reading I would expect it to go out before the day was all over but with my example where I bearly used it today I can't figure out what sucks it out so much.
But if you could set up some screendumbs from your day usage, that would be great!
I just have no idea how i got 1 day + 10 hours of it in the beginning when now im struggeling after 8 hours medium to basically non usage.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Well damn, after some research online im suspecting the same, you tellin' me to remove them? haha
Hmm im gonna do one full day/charge now then remove it and see if that changes anything

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
And keep in mind not to charge the battery too often during the day, especially when it's nearly full. I try to only let it charge once or twice, and also use battery saver during the night, rather than the wall charger.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Yea Gerzhwin I try to keep this in mind!

- So I did the reset and so far its been much better suddenly?! I'm gonna keep trying to test what will trigger sudden battery drain. (picture for reference this morning.)
wp_ss_20141017_0001.jpg
So even tho this is over night and I haven't been using my phone I did use it for keeping myself updated this morning and yesterday evening, also the battery stayed pretty stable compared to my previous pictures were it would drain even just on standby in my pocket. There must really be something that triggers the cpu to run constantly suddenly and therfor drain it.

*Note i didn't install my facebook messenger app for now as I heard from some friend he experience heavy battery usage from it but i'll install it in my next couple of days of test.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Yeah give it a try and let me know what your experience is with it!!
I really want to let MS know there is something ****y about this but its hard to get in touch with them when we are talking the lumia phones

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I think it would be more helpful to vote and comment in this thread opened in the User Voice portal.

This way you provide DIRECT feedback to MS.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome!

I think the guys at WP Central should do a proper story on the importance of the User Voice portal.

This way, people who are already voicing their concerns, requests and suggestions here should also give feedback directly to Microsoft and thus increase the probability of such concerns, requests and suggestions being addressed in future updates.

Maybe Daniel Rubino or some other editor from WP Central sees this comment and surprises us. One can hope, right? :)

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Would be so great indeed.
- For a sidetrack comment, my support and service for my surface pro 2 is beyond excellent. But a complete other story for my lumia phones but hopefully it changes soon now that MS is incooperating it better

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The same battery bug exists on all Windows Phones as there is a random OS bug.

No one has definitively identified the cause, but use of GPS and use of gaming sound systems have always been my suspicion of a trigger.

When either of our 920's do this I just shut the phone down, leave off for 30 seconds and then power on. Problem gone for another day/week.

Look in these forums at any model and you'll see someone complaining somewhere about battery suddenly diving with the phone sometimes getting warm with it.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Okay a bit sad.. Has this come with the new Cyan update? Because I never had problems with my old 720 and 500 concerning batteries, and I kinda had to change phone while the update was rolling out so never got to experience it on my 720.

GPS could be a trigger maybe i agree.

rikycaldeira

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I find that when location is turned on the phone heats like crazy and the battery goes down faster. When I got the phone I always had location turned on and almost got my hand burned a couple times /s
With location off, the battery lasts more than a full day of heavy usage (depending on the 4G connection)

I really want microsoft to enable cortana without location services, I can't have it turned on all the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss