Battery Love/Hate Relationship

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/7603d4a802fa470abaad3f7ab4d50a4c.pngSo in terms of the gps... Something is definitely wrong. Travelled to a client while using the gps and having the phone on charge. After an hour the battery dropped from 90% to under 60%, this after I had closed all running apps...

I had the same problem with my Lumia920 the battery would just take a dive from 100% to 50% even on standby . I tried everything and nothing worked. Just to confirm I'm quite sure your battery meter is just wrong. When your battery is like 50% try to turn the phone off/on . If you see that your battery jumpstarts to 90% or whatever then it means your battery meter is just wrong.I took the phone to nokia care and ended up with 930 paying something in between...

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Good compared to what? An iPhone? Yeah, compared to that, it's great. Compared to a Galaxy Alpha? Sure, it's great. Compared with other flagship devices on the competition like the LG G3, the S5, the Moto X? No. And I won't even mention the Z3 of course, because that one alone kicks the **** out of all the other flagships in terms of battery.
My Z3 Compact lasts me 2 days of heavy use. My 930 doesn't last me 20 hours IF I use it only lightly. Actually, I take it out of the charger and not even a minute later it's already down from 100% to 99%. And then goes downhill from there. The 920, the 1020, all those had much better batteries.

We should just face it: the 930 will never have a good battery life in it because the size of the battery it brings is pathetic for the phone's requirements.
2420mAh? Really? For a full HD 5" AMOLED phone? My Z3C is smaller than the 920 (yes, 920) and it packs a 2600mAh.

There's absolutely no excuse for the battery the 930 comes with. No excuse.

2 days battery?? LOL

Only 1520.

2500mah for 3000mah is only about 20% battery. And Windows Phone is know as the most efficient in this particulary aspect. So maybe 10% is the real difference if you compare with others.

Maybe there's a lot of faulty device here, I don't know. That's not my problem too. My Lumia 930 can EASILY stand a day with VERY HEAVY use, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER flagship.

I have a coworker who have a G3. everyday he charges it, EVERYDAY. My mother have a Samsung S5 and everyday she charges it too. There's no such a thing like "2 days battery".

1020 have a better battery life?????????? 920???????????????????

You HAVE to be trolling with us. Pathetic.

Last edited:

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Just did a hard reset yesterday. The result wasn't what I expected. It actually made my battery worse. Anyone know how to fix it now?
Did you go through all your settings and turn off all the background stuff that gets turn on again. Check to make sure your accounts and such are syncing correctly.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Did you go through all your settings and turn off all the background stuff that gets turn on again. Check to make sure your accounts and such are syncing correctly.

For me when I first got the phone i tried to turn off background running programs and everything but I feel like it did something weird to the phone that just made it suck more battery (but thats just a theory) Anyhow after the reset I did nothing to save power (I have location/4G on at all times and nothing turned off for background) it now lasts me a sold 2 days. But its all so sketchy with this phone and its battery...

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
My battery has been average since day one. With light use I get one day, with heavy use I have to give it a boost charge by the evening as it's touching 20%.

I've now got to know 2 other Lumia 930 owners in the UK here at my company and we all have the same experience. It's liveable but I don't believe anyone who says they get 2 days out of it. With mobile data off, brightness on low and barely using it for messaging/phoning - maybe you can.

My two biggest disappointments of the 930 are the battery life and camera, the latter of which seems to take worse photos than my iPhone 5S. Also the keyboard is horrible compared to the iPhone stock and SwiftKey (Android or iOS)...MS need to allow 3rd party keyboards like Apple has done.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/7603d4a802fa470abaad3f7ab4d50a4c.pngSo in terms of the gps... Something is definitely wrong. Travelled to a client while using the gps and having the phone on charge. After an hour the battery dropped from 90% to under 60%, this after I had closed all running apps...

There is a thread elsewhere....or maybe on HoFo.......that discussed how all USB cords are not created equal. This was news to me, and it's true. If it's a standard data and charge four wire cord, the charge rate is limited to something like 500ma's. But a cord that say, comes from a charger, the phone opens the gate.

GPS, regardless of the phone brand or OS uses lots of juice for reasons that remain a total mystery to me. When my cycling program is on, total battery use is 30-33% per hour. Sometimes as low as 22%, but who's counting? :) What baffles me is that I have an old Garmin dedicated GPS where the small screen is on all of the time and it will run about 36 hours on a set of four alkalines. Doing some crude capacity calculations, our phones and that GPS have virtually the same mw/hr's! Even if I'm off, it's nowhere near 3 hours vs. 36 hours.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
There is a thread elsewhere....or maybe on HoFo.......that discussed how all USB cords are not created equal. This was news to me, and it's true. If it's a standard data and charge four wire cord, the charge rate is limited to something like 500ma's. But a cord that say, comes from a charger, the phone opens the gate.

GPS, regardless of the phone brand or OS uses lots of juice for reasons that remain a total mystery to me. When my cycling program is on, total battery use is 30-33% per hour. Sometimes as low as 22%, but who's counting? :) What baffles me is that I have an old Garmin dedicated GPS where the small screen is on all of the time and it will run about 36 hours on a set of four alkalines. Doing some crude capacity calculations, our phones and that GPS have virtually the same mw/hr's! Even if I'm off, it's nowhere near 3 hours vs. 36 hours.

Dude, this is America. My black USB charger is just as good as my white one. You are racist.;-)

tooly26

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
My battery has been average since day one. With light use I get one day, with heavy use I have to give it a boost charge by the evening as it's touching 20%.

I've now got to know 2 other Lumia 930 owners in the UK here at my company and we all have the same experience. It's liveable but I don't believe anyone who says they get 2 days out of it. With mobile data off, brightness on low and barely using it for messaging/phoning - maybe you can.

My two biggest disappointments of the 930 are the battery life and camera, the latter of which seems to take worse photos than my iPhone 5S. Also the keyboard is horrible compared to the iPhone stock and SwiftKey (Android or iOS)...MS need to allow 3rd party keyboards like Apple has done.

I love the keyboard from the OS.
For me best experience on all platforms.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
2 days battery?? LOL

Only 1520.

2500mah for 3000mah is only about 20% battery. And Windows Phone is know as the most efficient in this particulary aspect. So maybe 10% is the real difference if you compare with others.

Maybe there's a lot of faulty device here, I don't know. That's not my problem too. My Lumia 930 can EASILY stand a day with VERY HEAVY use, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER flagship.

I have a coworker who have a G3. everyday he charges it, EVERYDAY. My mother have a Samsung S5 and everyday she charges it too. There's no such a thing like "2 days battery".

1020 have a better battery life?????????? 920???????????????????

You HAVE to be trolling with us. Pathetic.

Yes. Both my 920 and 1020 last more than the 930. Also, the 930 has a 2420mAh battery. Not 2500mAh. And no, the 930 isn't a faulty unit because it's not even the first 930 I have and they ALL had horrible battery life. And a lot of other people are reporting the same problems with battery life. So my conclusion is: you're lying.
Perhaps you feel better if you convince yourself that the battery of the 930 is great to appease the disappointment. I don't care.

And yes, 2 days on the Z3C. And there are people that are getting even more with light use. Don't be ignorant. If you don't believe me, go do some research. Google it. Or head over to Android Central.
Also, learn the difference between the S5, the G3 and the SONY XPERIA Z3 COMPACT which is the one I said has 2 days battery life (and has a 2600mAh battery).

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I love the keyboard from the OS.
For me best experience on all platforms.

It seems hit or miss for me, or my typing style. But then I'm used to SwiftKey which lets me be pretty lazy with my typing and still hit the right key. It's amazing how it does it.

Another annoying part of the stock WP keyboard is that it doesn't always offer predictions in 3rd party apps (like UC Browser)...though you would say it's not MS's fault, it seems strange to me as predictions appear to be part of the stock keyboard app...so not sure why a 3rd party app would need to allow it. In the same 3rd party app it works when typing into other parts.

Odd issue but meh. I've raised it with the developer so fingers crossed.

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
It may have been mentioned before in the thread... I found what killed my battery is email trying to sync in the background. I used to have gmail trying to sync too often and getting stuck. I deleted gmail account from the phone completely. Another problem is poor wireless signal.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Both my 920 and 1020 last more than the 930. Also, the 930 has a 2420mAh battery. Not 2500mAh. And no, the 930 isn't a faulty unit because it's not even the first 930 I have and they ALL had horrible battery life. And a lot of other people are reporting the same problems with battery life. So my conclusion is: you're lying.
Perhaps you feel better if you convince yourself that the battery of the 930 is great to appease the disappointment. I don't care.

And yes, 2 days on the Z3C. And there are people that are getting even more with light use. Don't be ignorant. If you don't believe me, go do some research. Google it. Or head over to Android Central.
Also, learn the difference between the S5, the G3 and the SONY XPERIA Z3 COMPACT which is the one I said has 2 days battery life (and has a 2600mAh battery).

Now this is something shocking to hear that 930, lasts less than 920, despite having bigger battery. My brand new 930 lasts only for a day. With my old 920, I happened to recharge batter every alternate day. This is bit sad, where I was expecting around 20-30% battery improvement for 930 over 920.

P_1

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
How do you guys get 2 days of power on Lumia 920. As m battery does not last for a day. Any tips to save battery

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
1) I always keep my battery saver on
2) I always keep the settings to 2G and mobile date off. Only when I am using it, I turn on Mobile data and change the settings from 2G to 3G.
3) In batter saver there are only 4 applications which I have allowed to be run on background, for rest of the apps i have disabled
4) I keep WIFI turned off, if I not at home.
5) GPS is always turned off, unless I want to open map or use Nokia Drive.

Although despite having glance screen, double tap to wake up and super sensitive touch. My old 920s battery happened to last for 48 hours. My 3G usage is very limited, not more than 1 hour. Sometimes I don't even use it for days. As I have broadband at home. With my 930, I keep the same settings, but its battery lasts for only a day. Is it because of my old SIM? My SIM is more than 10 years old and when the dealer cut it into Nano, some portion of chipset too was cut.

I know 930 doesn't have a great battery like 1520 and 1320. But most of us in this form came from 920, so we are used to low battery. So it should have 30-40% more power than 920.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Also, depending on how old your battery is and how you kept it charged, it has lost capacity, which is completely normal with lithium batteries.

:)
Fred

How do you guys get 2 days of power on Lumia 920. As m battery does not last for a day. Any tips to save battery

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 930 since Saturday and the battery drains really fast (compared to my second hand Lumia 920). Not so fast I have to charge it 2 times a day though. But when I disconnect it from the power source, after a few minutes it already says 99% where my 920 is doing an hour before it drops the first percent.
And then it goes bad. Disconnected it over an hour ago and it is already at 88%, not even using WhatsApp which makes it drain even more. My L920 would be at 99 at that point with the same amount of usage and even more apps running in the background.

Nevertheless, I had the feeling with my previous windows phones that the OS had to adjust to your usage to give an accurate reading of the battery, how long it can last and after a few days it gets better. So I really hope for that. I also noticed that at some percentages it 'hangs' for a while, like it did stayed at 4% for an hour ago.

And maybe it is because my L930 runs wp8.1 update 1, but still on cyan obviously. So maybe Denim can solve it a bit?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 930 since Saturday and the battery drains really fast (compared to my second hand Lumia 920). Not so fast I have to charge it 2 times a day though. But when I disconnect it from the power source, after a few minutes it already says 99% where my 920 is doing an hour before it drops the first percent.
And then it goes bad. Disconnected it over an hour ago and it is already at 88%, not even using WhatsApp which makes it drain even more. My L920 would be at 99 at that point with the same amount of usage and even more apps running in the background.

Nevertheless, I had the feeling with my previous windows phones that the OS had to adjust to your usage to give an accurate reading of the battery, how long it can last and after a few days it gets better. So I really hope for that. I also noticed that at some percentages it 'hangs' for a while, like it did stayed at 4% for an hour ago.

And maybe it is because my L930 runs wp8.1 update 1, but still on cyan obviously. So maybe Denim can solve it a bit?

I upgraded my 920 to WP 8.1 update one developer preview last month. But its battery was still better. So how will Denim enhance the batter of 930? Although Nokia device are famous for horrible battery when intially launched, after couple of updates, its battery improves. I have experienced this with Lumia 900, 920 and now 930. Dad's 1320 is an exception. But it is because of the huge size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb