11-25-2014 05:54 AM
95 1234
tools
    Windows phone is simply better than iOS
    You give me 2 views why iOS is better and I'll give you 10 why it is not.
    Windows phone can be personalised to a great extent and you have everything you need.LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU EXPECT FROM A SMARTPHONE.
    Probably the first thing you will fall in love with is CORTANA ;)
    10-24-2014 12:41 PM
    Yup, exactly !
    I had both (sent the 930 back) and the 830, for me, is a much better phone.
    Specs on paper and real life experience are very different things. I also have a little 635, which "only" has 512 memory and it runs great !
    930 is a tank, heavy, thick, slippery.
    The 830 is thinner, lighter and not slippery.
    To me a much better experience and just as fast with a screen that I can't tell a difference between it and the 930.

:)
    Fred

So I went to the shop and compared the 830 to the 930 in real time.

The 930's camera is consistently better.

Rendering speed of applications is about the same.

The 830's slimmer body is definitely easier and nicer with the one-hand approach.

Difference of screens? Hard to tell any difference.

If it wouldn't be for the 930's clear camera advantage, the 830 is a no-brainer.
    10-24-2014 01:28 PM
    Truth be told, I love my Lumia 1520, but I am seriously considering moving to Android. Windows Phone works well enough, but perhaps Android offers more freedom and flexibility, for a price. I am not sure I want to give up all my personal information to google, and become the product, being sold to advertisers.
    10-24-2014 01:50 PM
    I'm an iPhone user looking to jump ship as well. Any suggestions?
    10-24-2014 01:58 PM
    Exciting phone, this Lumina 930. I like the personalization and three-dimensionality of the UI. Not that iOS and Android look and are boing, they're just different.

Questions though: Is there a Lumia 930 update expected anytime soon? This probably being the last "Nokia" Windows Phone, what to expect from Microsoft?

How stable is Windows Phone 8.1?

What you'd be really missing about iOS?

Thanks in advance for inputs!

Good choice I own both phones Nokia L930 is my personal phone and the iPhone 5s which is my work phone. I just wish the L930 had dual sim so I didn't have to use the 5s at all as it frustrates the $#! out of me.
    10-24-2014 02:18 PM
    I recently moved from the having iphones for the last 4 years [a 5 was my last]. I really wanted a 6, but 16gig is a joke, and them expecting me to pay 620 for 64, more so.

So bought the 930 for 369 contract free. Very happy so far. Battery lasts longer, screen is lush, camera is better by far. Yes i miss some apps, but there aren't many. Just wish windows apps were as polished as IOS. Just received the wireless pack free of charge today [UK deal] and have some classic rock playing through mix radio on the Nokia wireless speaker [which is susprisingly good sounds wise!]

Maybe the iP6 is better? - the camera looks to be, but the experience just became a little boring for me. I love Live Tiles on the WP, really makes me engage more with my phone.
    10-24-2014 02:29 PM
    I gave up my Lumia 920 when my job started supplied me with an iPhone5s. It has been 8 months and I still miss that phone. Yeah there are some apps you can't get, but the ease of use and the ability to find and do what I want with out an app is what I miss. As for icloud, I use onedrive instead as I was always running out of space.
    10-24-2014 03:51 PM
    Windows phone are great, but I miss Android.. But on apple you swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get action center. That's now at the top and volume keys (for music).

You'll also miss the market and transparency of the phone (being able to see glass like things)

Pros of WP
    Swipe keyboard
    Good client apps
    Easier than iPhone
    All your needed actions are on the navigation bar and action center
    Better looking Netflix
    And that's it.. I've had this phone for two months and don't really have any problems so far.
    10-24-2014 04:26 PM
    Windows phone can be personalised to a great extent and you have everything you need.LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU EXPECT FROM A SMARTPHONE.
    And all those 10 reasons are your personal thoughts. You can't diss a phone you haven't tried.
    10-24-2014 04:28 PM
    Exciting phone, this Lumina 930. I like the personalization and three-dimensionality of the UI. Not that iOS and Android look and are boing, they're just different.

Questions though: Is there a Lumia 930 update expected anytime soon? This probably being the last "Nokia" Windows Phone, what to expect from Microsoft?

How stable is Windows Phone 8.1?

What you'd be really missing about iOS?

Thanks in advance for inputs!
    I can state that this is a stable OS and the ui response is very great. The main problem for the WP is that the feature for the apps must be less than other platforms, liked whatapps, facebook apps. Besides, the quality of the apps are not good. It is a good os platform but does not have too much good enough apps to support.
    10-24-2014 06:57 PM
    Well don't know if someone already mentioned this, but if you do a lot of reading then keep your expectations very low, in fact to a bare minimum. The kindle app sucks big time, not even properly rendering the lines properly, and that is the only feature it has in the windows version, no highlights/ notes/ dictionary.
    For epubs on your device Bookviser is the best bet, not comparable to the ones on Android/ ios, but will get the job done, again keep your expectations low.
    I own a Lumia 1520, Note 2. I tend to use Lumia for Photography only.
    Reading, Writing and Photography are my main habits, and my comments are focused on these needs.
    10-25-2014 02:42 AM
    Well don't know if someone already mentioned this, but if you do a lot of reading then keep your expectations very low, in fact to a bare minimum. The kindle app sucks big time, not even properly rendering the lines properly, and that is the only feature it has in the windows version, no highlights/ notes/ dictionary.
    For epubs on your device Bookviser is the best bet, not comparable to the ones on Android/ ios, but will get the job done, again keep your expectations low.
    I own a Lumia 1520, Note 2. I tend to use Lumia for Photography only.
    Reading, Writing and Photography are my main habits, and my comments are focused on these needs.
    This is our problem, app gap, we have the best hardware, the most personal OS and AI, the most powerful start screen, BUT NO APPS.
    10-25-2014 09:02 AM
    One hand = phone falls and glass breaks. Two hand = phone secured in hand!!
    Microsoftjunkie likes this.
    10-25-2014 10:03 AM
    <snip> and Photography are my main habits, and my comments are focused on these needs.
    I'm a photographer and the phone is about the last thing that I use for that. Just for quick snapshots and such, not for anything near serious. The most inexpensive DSLR's (which I have, but all my serious work is film, medium and large format) will easily outperform any phone. :)

Cheers,
    Fred
    10-25-2014 10:05 AM
    i'm an iphone user looking to jump ship as well. Any suggestions?
    jump!!
    10-25-2014 10:42 AM
    Obviously, you understand that Windows Phone is going to be DIFFERENT (not better, not worse) than iOS or Android in terms of UI and app development and this means learning new ways to perform a familiar function. As long as you keep an open mind to learning the Windows Phone way, you'll be fine (and for those of you that argue it should work or look like iOS or Android, please jump ship now)

Some have mentioned you'll miss:
    • iCloud - I argue you won't miss iCloud once you start using OneDrive. OneDrive can sync all your files across any device that you've installed the One Drive app...including Mac or iOS devices.
    • Games - I'm not a gamer so this doesn't bother me. My suggestion is to contact the developers and chew their @$$
    • Apps - So many people complain about the lack of features within official apps like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Dump those official apps and try a 3rd party app created by a concerned developer like Rudy Huyn or Chris Kim. They're free too!! (most of the time). For local/small audience apps...we can't fix the prejudice against WP.
    • Youtube - I agree with TechFreak1....download MetroTube, MyTube, or another killer 3rd party. You'll find they are better than the iOS version of Youtube.
    • LockScreen functionality - Ummmm, it's a lock screen.....supposed to keep your phone from being used, right? If you want all those fancy app features in a lock screen then don't use a lock screen!!

Someone mentioned downloading a calendar...WHY?! The 8.1 calendar is the best calendar I've ever used. You should try it first before downloading or paying for another.

Like raycpl said "Enjoy your 930...just "unlearn" what you had before and don't use WP like a iOS/Android and you be fine."
    10-25-2014 11:19 AM
    Here's what you're gonna miss from iPhone:
    1) Gamecenter
    Xbox games is supposed to be our version of gamecenter, but lets just say it doesn't work out well. Nobody releases games for Xbox live because it is so inconvenient for them to go through the long process of branding a game as an Xbox game. So, our game center sucks because you can't even do multiplayer through it, all it really does is has or achievements and that's good if you care about gamerscore if you are using Xbox only.
    2) Texting UI
    iPhone has nice texting design but windows phone is pretty ugly. If you reply with a short text, it will send a huge rectangle message, and not send a bubble the shape of the text like iPhone does. Word flow(Swype) is nice, but it doesn't make up for the ugly rectangular texts that we have on windows phone. This bothers me because I am a teen and I text a lot, and have to see the ugly texts. It just has such a basic text UI and looks so ugly.
    3) iMessage
    I think have somewhat of an equivalent to this but it isn't as great since nobody seems to have a windows phone. iMessage was good on iOS because lots of ppl had it. This also means we dont have the seen underneath the text or delivered. If you want to be notified of delivered texts you must enable it under settings and it will tell you in a completely separate text thread(as a person named operator or something). Fortunately, nobody can see when you start typing. So, you are safe from being in trouble if you text back later.
    4) Apps and Games
    Of course, we almost never get any of the current new hit games unless the company has already supported windows phone such as gameloft and EA(WHERE'S MADDEN MOBILE AT?!). It's just a long complicated cycle, nobody wants to support windows phone because there are not enough user and people dont want to get windows phone because there aren't enough apps. Btw, if you use Kik, good luck that app is complete ****, it hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
    5) Design/UI
    Our tiles look nice, but we have a lot of basic ugly looking places. The settings looks so plain and ugly, and our notification center could use some work. Music app needs a little work, but at least my albums are finally back in order instead of alphabetical order. Message app looks plain as I said, and some people find the home screen confusing for some reason.
    If you make the switch, I hope these features dont urk you too much because I doubt this stuff is getting fixed anytime soon.
    10-25-2014 12:21 PM
    I can give you about 20 reasons WP pales in comparison to iOS with all of them revolving around UI/Design and the basic features that iOS users have.
    10-25-2014 12:23 PM
    I can give you about 20 reasons WP pales in comparison to iOS with all of them revolving around UI/Design and the basic features that iOS users have.
    You guys make me laugh.. I'll raise you 40 reasons. 80, 160.

Fact is both iOS and WP are very usable now and both are great phones. Apple has the edge when it comes to apps but other than that its all down to personal choice.
    10-25-2014 12:50 PM

Fact is both iOS and WP are very usable now and both are great phones. Apple has the edge when it comes to apps but other than that its all down to personal choice.
    Dont forget to mention the bad batterylife in ios.

Ios has more apps and Windows has better battery life.
    10-25-2014 01:02 PM

Did you read my other post? Yea, right 40 my ***. Until you have used both devices please do not try to claim the impossible. And battery life isn't too bad in iOS, it depends on the user just like how on Saturdays my windows phone dies fast because I use it a lot. Windows Phone needs some serious work, sure personal choice is nice, but I want better looking UI. Messaging UI is uglier compared iOS and you know you have got to admit that. Apple has the edge in appeal. People look at iOS and go "ooh apps, easy design" and people go to WP and say "ewww no apps, and confusing design" I honestly dont know why they think its confusing but a lot of people seem to find it very confusing when they look at it.
    10-25-2014 01:15 PM
    The most inexpensive DSLR's (which I have, but all my serious work is film, medium and large format) will easily outperform any phone. :)

I agree. But for quick snaps Lumia offers something comparable to a point-and-shoot, and with its 4 sec exposure time, and steady hands, we can get awesome night shots.
    For an unplanned shot I'm quite happy with Lumia Pureview's performance.

Cheers,
    Albus_Dumbledore
    10-25-2014 10:57 PM
    Yup, for snapshots it's fine.

:)
    Fred

I agree. But for quick snaps Lumia offers something comparable to a point-and-shoot, and with its 4 sec exposure time, and steady hands, we can get awesome night shots.
    For an unplanned shot I'm quite happy with Lumia Pureview's performance.

Cheers,
    Albus_Dumbledore
    10-25-2014 11:03 PM
    Thanks all for the valuable inputs, this thread makes for a great read.

Well, finally I went for the 830. It feels nicer in the hand, build quality is fine and the less powerfull camera, well, I usually shoot with a nice full-frame camera, so for snaps etc. these Zeiss 10MP seem more than adequate.

Slow and old processor? I tested the 830 alongside the 930. Hardly noticeable delays.

Screen quality? I actually prefer the 830's. It seems cleaner, clearer, more crisp and the blacks are beautifully strong and saturated.

The one thing I have to get used to is the size, but paying half price o what Apple wants me to fork out, well, I take the bait! The 830 and iPhone 6 have about the same size, so I just have to deal with it.

The black 830 is just beautiful (that large round camera window on the back isn't that obvious too...).

Obviously WP 8.1 still has some rough edges. Don't understand why you can't change the default alarm or why it's not possible to change regional settings such as miles, kilometers etc. at one location for all the apps. Those are minor nuisances.

It's great to have, after all these years, a Nokia phone again, and if it's the last one they ever have their name on it will occupy a special place in my gallery of phones I ever used.
    10-26-2014 02:56 AM
    WP8.1 OS is actually really good, much better than iOS and android for easy customisation and the live tile system is simply superb. Cortana and driving mode is brilliant!

The only problem is APPs, yes it is a problem. I jumped from iOS to the 930 4 months ago and I slightly regret it. If you're heavily reliant on Google then avoid WP8.1. Facebook app is subpar, missing quite a few features (and the Beta too). Netflix app does not support profiles, so if you share one account you only have the account holder profile.

I recently had a trip to London and fining my way about was a bit difficult with Bing and some metro apps, luckily my wife has an android phone and it was soo much simpler.

The pro's aren't more than the cons... and if I could afford to switch to a high end Android phone I would.
    10-26-2014 04:01 AM
95 1234