About to jump the iPhone ship for the 930...

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Exciting phone, this Lumina 930. I like the personalization and three-dimensionality of the UI. Not that iOS and Android look and are boing, they're just different.

Questions though: Is there a Lumia 930 update expected anytime soon? This probably being the last "Nokia" Windows Phone, what to expect from Microsoft?

How stable is Windows Phone 8.1?

What you'd be really missing about iOS?

Thanks in advance for inputs!

Free facetime, app quality, the keyboard, the flashlight.

wescoerg

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I use an Icon (930) w/ 8.1 dev preview for personal and an iPhone for work.

The only thing I use the iPhone for is a few apps and games that aren't on WP. Mainly Injustice, CoC (play with friends), and Plague Inc.

The 930 will be a much better camera and productivity phone. Most apps that are on both platforms will feel better on the 930.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I miss the following:

Actionable notifications in IOS 8
Better lock screen notifications.
Extensibility in IOS 8
A fast browser
VIP inbox.
The ability to share links to twitter via another app
Being apple to share mail attachements directly from mail to 3rd party apps like OneNote and Evernote.
Being able to access music settings from the lock screen.
Being able to minimize in mail composition so that I can copy content from other mails.
The ability to answer calls on my mac.
A settings screen that looks like some thought went into the design.

What I like:
Tiles
Separate volume settings per output (I can set the equalizer up differently for my carkit)
Camera and UI
Nokia MixRadio
Ability for the browser to run in the background (downloads).
Wireless charging.
Cortana
The fact that I can change the equalizer from within mixradio.
The preinstalled Lumia apps in general are quite good.
I like that I can change a few settings and really personalize the look of the os.
I like the screen on my 930 (no purple fringing).
2gb ram means that I have less page reloads when resuming the browser.
Better keyboard.
Customisable quick settings.
Battery saver, data sense and storage sense apps.
When apps are designed properly for windows phone they can be better than IOS (my carriers app is an example).
The ability to set the snooze time on my alarm (finally).
Better weather app.

Windows phone has some great features and potential but its still rough around the edges. It also doesn't help that Microsoft has made their office apps better on iOS.

uberlaff

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Be prepared to relearn your muscle memory. This is something that people don't bring up enough and was a big one for me.

For example, my hands had the keyboard on iOS memorized and I found it hard to make the switch at first. There were a number of things where my finger just knew where to go on iOS but I had to stop and look on Windows Phone.

Eventually this goes away and now it's the exact opposite but for the first few weeks your going to have some relearning to do.

eliteop

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Flipagram that -actually- flips

Instagram with video and more features (6tag you pay to remove adds)

decent amount of games

Folder system (non 3'd party and non dev preview)

more than 5 oprions in the quick menu when swiping

instant mute with 1 togge

99.9% of apps allow landscape mode

(I have iPhone and Lumia)

panmoria

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
So I went to the shop and compared the 830 to the 930 in real time.

The 930's camera is consistently better.

Rendering speed of applications is about the same.

The 830's slimmer body is definitely easier and nicer with the one-hand approach.

Difference of screens? Hard to tell any difference.

If it wouldn't be for the 930's clear camera advantage, the 830 is a no-brainer.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone is stable and always has been, unless on the preview for developers and using pre-consumer release software there abound to be some issues and bugs.

When you get the Lumia 930, I would suggest you get the following apps

1) Windows Central for the latest news about updates, apps, PSAs etc.

2) MetroTube or Mytube for youtube (MetroTube is a donationware app with an unlimited trial).

3) Simple Calendar, Cal or Chronos Calendar

4) Skinnery themes for custom tiles and shortcuts.

5) file manager first there are plenty of decent ones in the store I.e aerize, pocket explorer, files.

Sure you can do without a file picker or manager however there are a few quirks that you need to be aware of, namely attachments from the email hub defaults to the Photo hub, to attach documents you need to use the share function in the office hub however you can only attach one document as attaching any subsequent documents directs you to the photo hub. The only way round this is to use a file manager or file picker if you don't want to use cloud storage to share links to documents.

Another quirk is the music apps or now playing bar doesn't have a stop button, so you will need a app for that (I use stop+clear).

Also the Wi fi toggle works differently, tap once to turn on however tapping again doesn't turn off but loads the Wi Fi settings page where you can choose if you want to turn it on manually or after a set period.

The shortcut bar in the notification centre doesn't have a cellular data toggle, you can use skinnery ro create a shortcut or grab one from the store.

Lastly the unread counter on the pinned tile disappears once the app is open regardless if you read the message or not.

One aspect I love about windows phone is offline maps, download the maps once via Wi Fi thus saving your cellular data allowance.

Last edited:

Manas Tripathi

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone is simply better than iOS
You give me 2 views why iOS is better and I'll give you 10 why it is not.
Windows phone can be personalised to a great extent and you have everything you need.LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU EXPECT FROM A SMARTPHONE.
Probably the first thing you will fall in love with is CORTANA ;)

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yup, exactly !
I had both (sent the 930 back) and the 830, for me, is a much better phone.
Specs on paper and real life experience are very different things. I also have a little 635, which "only" has 512 memory and it runs great !
930 is a tank, heavy, thick, slippery.
The 830 is thinner, lighter and not slippery.
To me a much better experience and just as fast with a screen that I can't tell a difference between it and the 930.

:)
Fred

So I went to the shop and compared the 830 to the 930 in real time.

The 930's camera is consistently better.

Rendering speed of applications is about the same.

The 830's slimmer body is definitely easier and nicer with the one-hand approach.

Difference of screens? Hard to tell any difference.

If it wouldn't be for the 930's clear camera advantage, the 830 is a no-brainer.

jamalalf

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Truth be told, I love my Lumia 1520, but I am seriously considering moving to Android. Windows Phone works well enough, but perhaps Android offers more freedom and flexibility, for a price. I am not sure I want to give up all my personal information to google, and become the product, being sold to advertisers.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Exciting phone, this Lumina 930. I like the personalization and three-dimensionality of the UI. Not that iOS and Android look and are boing, they're just different.

Questions though: Is there a Lumia 930 update expected anytime soon? This probably being the last "Nokia" Windows Phone, what to expect from Microsoft?

Good choice I own both phones Nokia L930 is my personal phone and the iPhone 5s which is my work phone. I just wish the L930 had dual sim so I didn't have to use the 5s at all as it frustrates the $#!? out of me.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I recently moved from the having iphones for the last 4 years [a 5 was my last]. I really wanted a 6, but 16gig is a joke, and them expecting me to pay ?620 for 64, more so.

So bought the 930 for ?369 contract free. Very happy so far. Battery lasts longer, screen is lush, camera is better by far. Yes i miss some apps, but there aren't many. Just wish windows apps were as polished as IOS. Just received the wireless pack free of charge today [UK deal] and have some classic rock playing through mix radio on the Nokia wireless speaker [which is susprisingly good sounds wise!]

Maybe the iP6 is better? - the camera looks to be, but the experience just became a little boring for me. I love Live Tiles on the WP, really makes me engage more with my phone.

badersk

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I gave up my Lumia 920 when my job started supplied me with an iPhone5s. It has been 8 months and I still miss that phone. Yeah there are some apps you can't get, but the ease of use and the ability to find and do what I want with out an app is what I miss. As for icloud, I use onedrive instead as I was always running out of space.

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone are great, but I miss Android.. But on apple you swipe up from the bottom of the screen to get action center. That's now at the top and volume keys (for music).

You'll also miss the market and transparency of the phone (being able to see glass like things)

Pros of WP
Swipe keyboard
Good client apps
Easier than iPhone
All your needed actions are on the navigation bar and action center
Better looking Netflix
And that's it.. I've had this phone for two months and don't really have any problems so far.

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Windows phone is simply better than iOS
You give me 2 views why iOS is better and I'll give you 10 why it is not.
Windows phone can be personalised to a great extent and you have everything you need.LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU EXPECT FROM A SMARTPHONE.
Probably the first thing you will fall in love with is CORTANA ;)

And all those 10 reasons are your personal thoughts. You can't diss a phone you haven't tried.

Daemonnull

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

I can state that this is a stable OS and the ui response is very great. The main problem for the WP is that the feature for the apps must be less than other platforms, liked whatapps, facebook apps. Besides, the quality of the apps are not good. It is a good os platform but does not have too much good enough apps to support.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss