About to jump the iPhone ship for the 930...

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have been on the 830 now for a day coming from my 930 for over a month and the 830 is slightly slower at tasks, especially when multi-tasking and returning to start screen (slight hitching) compared to my 930 which was always buttery smooth overall. Overall I actually prefer the build quality of the 930 but love the SD slot of the 830, now I need to make up my mind about which one to keep, one on hand the 830 is easier to use one handed and less slippery but it just doesn't feel as solid as my 930, also I am anxious to see what improvements Denim will bring to the 930. Tough choice since the blacks on the 930 looks very nice and flow well together with the WP interface, no doubt the 930 speed difference is apparent to me anyway. More hitching on the 830 for sure.......Tough Tough...

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't really tell any speed difference when I had both, side by side, for a week (I sent the 930 back and kept the 830).
For me the 830:
- Lighter
- Thinner
- Much easier to hold
- Not slippery (I would have dropped the 930 at some point in time had I kept it. I never use a case on any phone).
- SD card slot
- Removable battery
- Screen is just as good to me. I have a mostly black background with transparent tiles. The blacks are inky black.
- Doesn't have the screen color bleed that the 930 showed
- Doesn't get hot when used sort of heavily (some chat apps)
- Much better battery life.

:)
Fred

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Not to argue your opinion or feeling but there certainly is a speed difference. Take for example when playing music and returning to the start screen there is always a hitch and I barely have anything installed......the same setup on my 930 is smooth as butter. Another example is when deleting a photo sometimes for 2-3 seconds there is a deleting screen that shows instead of instantly deleting like on my 930. This obviously is only nit picking and truly not a big deal and the removable battery and SD slot makes up for it. I find the glance screen merely okay for daily use since the screen tech is LCD. The glance clock isn't as bright as it was on my 925 since the 830 needs to light up the whole panel instead of only the needed pixels like on AMOLED and if it were any brighter it would destroy the battery life anyway. Surprisingly the screen on the 830 is very nice and I don't see any clarity difference except the obvious that that black are not as black as AMOLED, but the Whites makes up for it without any purple tint or green hue, just bright WHITE so I keep my theme in White and it is marvelous :) So far truly enjoying the 830 more than I thought and it will be with me until a new flagship from Nokia (opps I mean Microsoft) is born!

I couldn't really tell any speed difference when I had both, side by side, for a week (I sent the 930 back and kept the 830).
For me the 830:
- Lighter
- Thinner
- Much easier to hold
- Not slippery (I would have dropped the 930 at some point in time had I kept it. I never use a case on any phone).
- SD card slot
- Removable battery
- Screen is just as good to me. I have a mostly black background with transparent tiles. The blacks are inky black.
- Doesn't have the screen color bleed that the 930 showed
- Doesn't get hot when used sort of heavily (some chat apps)
- Much better battery life.

Fred

panmoria

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
So basically only the SD card slot speaks for the 830?! If the 930's 32GB are not enough, sync and download everything immediately to your computer, that's a no-brainer really.

I rather think the 830's concept and form factor is what the 930 should have been.

panmoria

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have been on the 830 now for a day coming from my 930 for over a month and the 830 is slightly slower at tasks, especially when multi-tasking and returning to start screen (slight hitching) compared to my 930 which was always buttery smooth overall. Overall I actually prefer the build quality of the 930 but love the SD slot of the 830, now I need to make up my mind about which one to keep, one on hand the 830 is easier to use one handed and less slippery but it just doesn't feel as solid as my 930, also I am anxious to see what improvements Denim will bring to the 930. Tough choice since the blacks on the 930 looks very nice and flow well together with the WP interface, no doubt the 930 speed difference is apparent to me anyway. More hitching on the 830 for sure.......Tough Tough...

So the 830's main advantage is the SD slot? If the 930's 32GB are not enough, just download photos, videos and other downloads to your computer, that's a no-brainer really.

I rather think the 830's concept and form factor are what the 930 should have been.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So the 830's main advantage is the SD slot? <SNIP> I rather think the 830's concept and form factor are what the 930 should have been.

And the removable battery.
And the lighter weight
And the fact that the 830 is not slippery
And the fact that the 830 is thinner
And the fact that the 830 doesn't get hot when running CPU intensive apps.
And the fact that the 830's battery life is better.
And the fact, for all those benefits, the 830 is not particularly slower, the screen is not particularly worse.

Anyway, it's to each their own of course, however, for me, the 830 suits my needs much better than the 930 did.

Fred

Ferazzz

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
And the removable battery.
And the lighter weight
And the fact that the 830 is not slippery
And the fact that the 830 is thinner
And the fact that the 830 doesn't get hot when running CPU intensive apps.
And the fact that the 830's battery life is better.
And the fact, for all those benefits, the 830 is not particularly slower, the screen is not particularly worse.

Anyway, it's to each their own of course, however, for me, the 830 suits my needs much better than the 930 did.

Fred

I second everything here, it is slightly slower but nothing earth shattering and it is lighter and does not run hot. It is truly a great device and since it is LCD I love running the white theme and dark blue accents, everything just looks so clean and classy. Not to mention here in Montreal I get all the proper bands for hspa+ (not missing the 1700mhz that Rogers uses) my 930 was missing that band and it impacted signal unfortunately and was very spotty and often on Edge. With my 830 I get LTE and stable 4g so for me it is a win win situation really........it is really a great phone and although it is a lower end device it runs beautifully.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Cool, nice to know that the Denim and Emerald updates will make the 930 thinner, lighter, and less slippery :)

Anyon e
Fred

Anyone coming from 920 will not find 930 heavier. The weight is justifiable because of the large camera sensor, the amazing screen and the top notch hardware. Denim or Emerald update should provide tweak to make camera even better, should improve the battery life and get rid of heat issue. I believe 830 already has Denim preinstalled, thats why its camera takes amazing pics, even when compared to large sensored lumia 920 and 925.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
So the 830's main advantage is the SD slot? If the 930's 32GB are not enough, just download photos, videos and other downloads to your computer, that's a no-brainer really.

I rather think the 830's concept and form factor are what the 930 should have been.

Or upload all photo's to OneDrive and then delete the local version.

My lad just got his 930 today, he preferred the look of the 930, we haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but it does look like a stunning phone and the camera is as good as my 1520 on first look.

Bob

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the 830 has Denim installed.
Coming from the Android world, and I'm not in any way dissing WP's, the Nokia's, as a group, are simply not as "holdable" (is that a word haha), as some of the Android phones I've had in the past. The 930 and 830 (which I still have) both have the same sized screen as say the Samsung S4 but the S4 is much lighter, much thinner and rounded for a much better feel in the hand, IMO. All the Nokia's that I've tried with the exception of the 635 (which I own still) are awkward feeling to hold to me. Again, I have and love the 830 so I'm not dissing the Nokia's.
Weight is always a factor, and camera sensor size doesn't really make that much difference. The Nokia's are built very solid like tanks, not a bad thing.
having owned a 930 for a couple of weeks before returning it (and I had the 830 at the same time), to me, the 930, while a very pretty phone (as is the 830), it was much more difficult for me to hold and use, awkward I would say, so that's why I have the 830. :)

Fred

Anyone coming from 920 will not find 930 heavier. The weight is justifiable because of the large camera sensor, the amazing screen and the top notch hardware. Denim or Emerald update should provide tweak to make camera even better, should improve the battery life and get rid of heat issue. I believe 830 already has Denim preinstalled, thats why its camera takes amazing pics, even when compared to large sensored lumia 920 and 925.

mazzerooni

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Ive just activated my lumia 930 after giving the wife my iphone 6 - having previously used a 920- I just couldn't go back to ios - or android - MS is the place where really exciting things are happening and this handset is definitely one of them .

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I have both an iPhone5S as a work phone and a Lumia 930 as a personal phone. Prior to both of these I just had the one Galaxy S3 for personal use.

For my use cases - phone calls, texts, using official apps, reliability, battery life and camera -

1. iPhone5S (maybe 6 but I haven't used it)
2. Lumia 930
3. All Windows Phones
4. All other iPhones
5. All Android phones

Didn't like Android. Found it slow, cluttered and the app market was hit/miss (surprising as it's so popular). I really like the 5S, beautiful design and Google Maps > Nokia Maps in almost every single situation I've been in (searching for a business, directions in a car/walking, transit directions etc.). The speaker and alarm is better than the 930.

Camera wise I'm not sure. My 930 is slower to take photos than the 5S and they more often come out with a bit of motion blur (unless using the flash), which is annoying. Also some grain on the 930's shots. But I'm not sure if it's because the 5S has a better screen so the photos look better on the phone than they would blown up on a monitor...who knows. Either way I use the 930 for photos where I can, but if I need to take a photo FAST I can whip out the 5S and have the camera open and taking photos in literally 1 second v.s. longer on the 930.

Windows Phone the OS is good and fast. It's refreshing from the widget-filled, laggy mess of Android that I experienced and the static grid of icons of iOS.

I wouldn't buy the 930 because it's a 930. But I would buy it because it's the best Windows Phone available right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)