Which one is better the Nokia Lumia 930 vs LG Nexus 5?

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 930 vs LG Nexus 5

Those claiming that the N5 has a 'bad' camera are being disingenuous. The camera is quicker than the current Nokia one and takes some quite impressive shots, in my experience. It has some nice features like panorama (which is much better than the Lumia equivalent) and photo spheres, built in. It also has a nice HDR mode.

Once Lollipop arrives, the new camera API is set to offer some significant under the hood improvements too.

I'm not saying it's the best shooter out there, or even a match for the 930 (especially once Denim arrives), but it is very far from being bad.

Edit:

Additionally, on the battery comments, again the N5 isn't going to set any world records here, but I find it completely comparable to the 930. Both get me to the end of the day and need a charge during the evening.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Those claiming that the N5 has a 'bad' camera are being disingenuous. The camera is quicker than the current Nokia one and takes some quite impressive shots, in my experience. It has some nice features like panorama (which is much better than the Lumia equivalent) and photo spheres, built in. It also has a nice HDR mode.

After owning the N5 for a few months I'd say its camera is bad. You will miss a lot of shots with it. And I didn't think it was that quick. In fact I found my old Galaxy S2 producing better photos. Cant speak of the N5 now as I moved it on, but the Photospheres are amazing. I've taken plenty with my N4.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

TBH, the nexus 5 is a:
very cute device - until you drop it.
very fast device - until you get an update.
very good camera - until you transfer the photos to your computer.
very cheap device - until you realize it only lasts a year.

If i were in your position, i would pay an extra $100 and go for 930, or wait for nexus 6 and see how that comes out.

But I am not in you position, i already have a 930 :D

update: oh and i forgot one thing, there is no "mom" company when it comes to android (somewhat Motorola is), but the nexus is an LG after all, as their is some Samsung/ LG phones with pure android. that doesn't make it from the "mom" company.

Say what? Android 5.0 (Lollipop) will come to the Nexus 5 next week probably and it will make the phone faster than ever with ART as new runtime (even the developer preview is lightning fast). It's the most future proof Android you can get today next to the Nexus 6 that will come now. It will probably even get Android 6.0 when it comes as the Nexus 4 also gets 5.0. So that crushes two or your points. You don't get more bang for the buck than with a Nexus 5. Cheap. Latest OS. Developer friendly with excellent dev support and many possibilities.

That being said. I own both. Two different bests and diffucilt to compare. In the end it comes down to what system you prefer yourself OP. They have about the same battery life with the slight edge to the Nexus 5 in my opinion. Lollipop is said to make it better but we don't know yet.

But the Question should not be Nexus 5 or Lumia 930. It's a matter of Windows Phone or Android.

namele557777

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

Hi everyone,

Sorry for digging up such an old thread but I hope that many experienced users can help me out here.

I am currently using a samsung s3 lte but it is rather beat up and is starting to lag quite a bit. I am considering the nexus 5 or the lumia 930 as a replacement (I know the nexus 5x and the 940 will be launched end of this month but I am abit short on dough so I will just consider these 2 old flagships.)

After tolerating my S3's lagginess for a few months, I decided that speed is an important factor in the replacement phone. From what I read, both of these phones offer pretty snappy performance. Now lies the dilemma.

I am definitely not a "power user" by any standards. I use my phone mainly for texting (in terms of SMS, on whatsapp, viber and line), phone calls (normal phone calls and occasional skype), quite a lot of web browsing, a little bit of flipboard and email. Navigation is important for me and I usually use google maps to plan my transit routes. I also use the camera a fair bit. I love photography so manual camera settings in my phone would be cool although not mandatory. If I go on a vacation I would bring along a dedicated camera, so my phone is mainly used for day-to-day candid shots. I also use the camera for taking photos of diagrams, lecture slides and whiteboard explanations for my studies. All in all, the camera needs to be decent, but I think either of these phones is already a huge step up from my S3.

Battery life is not that crucial for me, as long as it can last me through an entire day. I usually leave my phone to charge overnight so I do not need an ultra high stamina battery. I don't play games at all, and don't use my phone for music or videos except for the occasional youtube video.

Based on my usage pattern, which would you recommend? I was reading through some of the comments here, as well as on other sites, who said that the camera on the Nexus is poor. But the hardware is fine, and google has improved the software through several updates. I would love to hear from those who had owned both these phones, and compare their performance after updating to Denim/Win10 preview and Lollipop respectively. I can get a used lumia 930 for about 350SGD and a used nexus 5 32GB for about 250SGD. I know that straight from the box the nokia is definitely the more premium smartphone but given that both phones can perform brilliantly, is it worth the 100$ difference?

Thanks in advance for any useful comments.

(oh yes, another point to note is that I tend to have butterfingers - I drop my phones alot. Which is why I am sticking to these older phones! Imagine the pain of dropping and denting a shiny new lumia 940!)

TL,DR:
which phone should i get for:
1) texting and calling
2) navigation (fast accurate GPS lock-on)
3) camera (decent, no need overkill)
4) battery (decent, no need overkill)
5) lots of web browsing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

namele557777

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
I was considering that as well but I thought the screen was a little too big for comfortable one-handed usage.

5 to 5.2 inches of screen is the ideal size for my tiny Asian hands.

jonahtrav

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site

You should take a look at an LGG3 if your going to get an android phone. The price has really dropped since the lg4 showed up and still can be used one handed with a 5.5 inch screen because of the great design.
The camera is good, not the best but good.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Having had both the Nexus 5 and L930, the Nexus is by far nicer to hold as its a lot lighter and especially the black version has a nice soft grip feel, the Nexus 5 even now has the latest Google updates and will be getting Google M update in a few weeks, the UI and speed of this device is still faster than many of the later android phones, if your going for a Nexus 5, go for the 32GB version as it doesn not have an SD card slot to expand your memory. Th ebuild quality is actually quite nice, the screen is pretty bright, but ever so slight washed out, but a very nice resolution, battery life is OK nothing brilliant, but a days use.

The L930 is also a fantastic phone, I never tried it with Windows 10, but my experiences with 8.1 where very good, the build of the L930 is on the heavier, solid and very well built side of things, you need a case on this beast as the back is just way to slippery, the screen is one of the best out there in my opinion, rich bright and clear Amoled, blacks are superb and make the WP8.1 experience perfect. the UI and speed are as per WP8.1 should be and as with all WP is slick and very smooth, app/game loading on the L930 is extremely fast, the camera is better than the Nexus 5's one, even though the Nexus 5 when it first came out had issues the updates to the google cam have improved a lot and now its a pretty good shooter with IS control it can snap some nice photos and Videos, but the L930 is just a step up and with its superb dual flash as well, its a joy to use and control with the dedicated camera button. Battery life is slightly worse than the Nexus 5, especially running 5.1.1 Google have improved battery life so much since it first came out, the L930 doesn't quite get a full day, well never did for me, but not far off.

The main decision is are you an APP/GAMER as WP apps are improving slowly, but to be honest not a patch on the quality and updates that the Google play store can provide, they are both equally good at gaming, although you have lots more choice on Google, they both have built in wireless charging, both have built in step counter chips, both have the same processor and ram and both have a similar battery life, which ever one you go for will be a fast slick experience.

namele557777

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
jonah, thanks for the suggestion! well if I ever get an android phone it's either nexus or nothing, I really hate the bloat that 3rd party manufacturers include on their phones. On the other hand, I played with my friend's nexus 6 and loved the clean, minimalist design on lollipop.

Captain, the nexus 5 is no doubt an impressive piece of kit, though from what I heard, build quality cannot compare to the sheer solidity of Nokia's offering. Based on reviews that tested the Nokia on win 8.1, it already seems like a formidable proposition, and I am excited to see what improvements windows 10 will bring. I watched a video review of a lumia 930 running win 10 build 10635 and the reviewer said that speed and transitions have improved. Apparently the battery life has received a boost, too. I guess I should wait for their prices to fall with the imminent announcement of their successors, and continue ti watch out for good deals on ebay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99