09-27-2015 12:20 PM
29 12
tools
    Hey Everyone! I am in a Deadlock!!!! I have just paid from my work and i want to buy a smartphone! I own a Lumia 625 and i am really happy with this but want a better smartphone. So i'm between Nokia Lumia 930 and LG Nexus 5. I would like to hear your opinion about which smartphone is better and why!
    10-25-2014 09:32 AM
    You may want to cross-post this on the Android Central forums, too, just to let them give a piece of their minds~

A lot of people here would recommend the 930, for obvious reasons, but I'd like to ask you what features you'd prioritize in a phone first.
    10-25-2014 09:38 AM
    I have (or had) both. The 930 I sent back because of the problems that seem common to it.
    I have a 830 now and love it
    The 930 is larger, heavy, thick and very slippery. The 830 is much thinner, less weight and no where near as slippery, plus it has the SD card slot and replaceable batter.
    Now, the Nexus 5. I sold it a while ago (have too many phones and kept an S4).
    It's a great phone. Thin, about the same thickness as the 830, not slippery at all, somewhat rubberized back, and easier to hold than either the 930 or the 830 (I also have a 635 and it's very easy to hold :) ).
    The N5 is very fast because it runs pure Android, no other interface on top of it, and it has all the Android "features" as expected. It's a great phone and, in ways better than the S4 I think.
    Downsides (to me), no SD card slot, no removable battery, however it you're comparing to the 930 then it's on equal ground with it, as the 930 is the same way.

Fred
    10-25-2014 10:01 AM
    The features I want from my smartphone is to be fast and to easy to hold! I think that it is very important to be held well. Fred I say that you are right but I would like yo buy a smartphone from the "mom" company! I mean nexus made from google that makes the android and Lumia 930 made from Microsoft that makes windows Lumia. This is my only standard. The interesting thing that hold me to windows phone is Cortana!!! I Love her😋 . But android have more apps in store. Which one should I choose? Applications or Cortana?
    10-25-2014 12:08 PM
    There's no way to compare Nexus 5 with 930 IMHO.

930 have a much better and solid finishing. A MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better camera, much better battery life, much better screen and etc etc etc.

It's way better in all aspects.
    10-25-2014 03:08 PM
    The features I want from my smartphone is to be fast and to easy to hold! I think that it is very important to be held well. Fred I say that you are right but I would like yo buy a smartphone from the "mom" company! I mean nexus made from google that makes the android and Lumia 930 made from Microsoft that makes windows Lumia. This is my only standard. The interesting thing that hold me to windows phone is Cortana!!! I Love her . But android have more apps in store. Which one should I choose? Applications or Cortana?
    Only you can decide it. But if if you want a Android smart comparable with 930, Nexus 5 is NOT the right choice.
    10-25-2014 03:10 PM
    Because why ? (I have had both).

:)
    Fred

Only you can decide it. But if if you want a Android smart comparable with 930, Nexus 5 is NOT the right choice.
    10-25-2014 03:12 PM
    Windows phones certainly have less apps than Android, however the Windows phone has all the apps that I use, however many of them are not as "complete" as their Android counter parts.
    Games (which I don't play) is probably the major weak point (lack of) of Windows apps.
    Holdability (is that a word haha), is certainly better with the N5 (and the 830).
    I found the 930 difficult, heavy, thick, slippery.

:)
    Fred

The features I want from my smartphone is to be fast and to easy to hold! I think that it is very important to be held well. Fred I say that you are right but I would like yo buy a smartphone from the "mom" company! I mean nexus made from google that makes the android and Lumia 930 made from Microsoft that makes windows Lumia. This is my only standard. The interesting thing that hold me to windows phone is Cortana!!! I Love her�� . But android have more apps in store. Which one should I choose? Applications or Cortana?
    10-25-2014 03:13 PM
    So which are the reason you guys prefer windows phone from android? And Rodrigo which android phone can I compare with Lumia 930? 😊
    10-25-2014 05:13 PM
    If you don't like Android's UI, or if you want to avoid Google, get the 930. The advantages of the 930 end there in my opinion. The Nexus 5 will easily beat the 930 in capability, and at least match it in performance.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    10-25-2014 05:54 PM
    So which are the reason you guys prefer windows phone from android? And Rodrigo which android phone can I compare with Lumia 930? ��
    HTC One or Sony Z3. Only these two.

Nexus have a bad camera (930/1520 have the very best after 808), the finish doesn't get even close to the prime finish of 930 (or HTC and Z3), Nexus battery life is just pathetic, screen quality is not that good and much more.

Don't get me wrong. Nexus 5 is a good device, but there's no way to make this a fair comparation. Nexus 5 is worst in everything!
    Felix Bank and taymur like this.
    10-25-2014 08:47 PM
    I agree. I've had the Nexus 5, and its the worst Nexus ever. It looks like a child's toy, and the camera is very bad. And I still have my Nexus 4, the best Nexus to date.

But comparisons to the 930, which I had for a few months, would be the LG G3, Z3, or the One.
    Rodrigo Mendes likes this.
    10-26-2014 02:45 AM
    The only phone i like from what you said is LG G3. But it is not from the "mom" company as i said at my previous answers . Any Nexus that can be compared with Lumia 930 ? Is there? I mean maybe nexus 4 is better than Nexus 5?
    10-26-2014 05:25 AM
    The only phone i like from what you said is LG G3. But it is not from the "mom" company as i said at my previous answers . Any Nexus that can be compared with Lumia 930 ? Is there? I mean maybe nexus 4 is better than Nexus 5?
    Spec wise the Nexus 4 simply isn't up there with the 930. The only Nexus comparable to the 930 would be the Nexus 5.
    10-26-2014 05:35 AM
    I agree. I've had the Nexus 5, and its the worst Nexus ever. It looks like a child's toy, and the camera is very bad. And I still have my Nexus 4, the best Nexus to date.

But comparisons to the 930, which I had for a few months, would be the LG G3, Z3, or the One.
    Exactly, child's toy is perfect!
    Felix Bank likes this.
    10-26-2014 07:57 AM
    First you need to decide if you want a Android or a Windows, my friend. There are two VERY different words with different proposals.
    10-26-2014 07:58 AM
    TBH, the nexus 5 is a:
    very cute device - until you drop it.
    very fast device - until you get an update.
    very good camera - until you transfer the photos to your computer.
    very cheap device - until you realize it only lasts a year.

If i were in your position, i would pay an extra $100 and go for 930, or wait for nexus 6 and see how that comes out.

But I am not in you position, i already have a 930 :D

update: oh and i forgot one thing, there is no "mom" company when it comes to android (somewhat Motorola is), but the nexus is an LG after all, as their is some Samsung/ LG phones with pure android. that doesn't make it from the "mom" company.
    10-27-2014 08:29 AM
    So which are the reason you guys prefer windows phone from android?
    I was a long-time user of Android, from Froyo to Jelly Bean. Why I switched away from android:
    • Every new Android OS was supposed to cure the UI jitters, bugs, and latency. None did it. After 8-10 months it was back to square one with bad performance.
    • Android is a UI mess. Any given feature or app is inconsistent with it's look to the core Android experience. It is as if nobody who develops for Android can decide what the UI or menus should look like
    • google and their privacy issue. Sorry, I don't advertise for free. Stop data mining my phone! Did they settle their privacy blunder with Germany yet?
    • Security. When the first thing you should download from google play is Outlook security, it's bad.
    • Force feeding their services on users. I thought MS was bad, but users now can't look left or right before being forced to log into their G+ account. And now how convenient that google now makes you log into your YouTube account to watch more mature content or trailers.

Android has some advantages over WP, but none of which I care about anymore. I'm glad to be android free.
    Tyranade and Rodrigo Mendes like this.
    10-27-2014 08:53 AM
    You need to determine which platform suits you best.

Android: Most customizability but comes at the expense of ongoing maintenance and tinkering to work well (many people like this).

Windows phone: Generally low maintenance with the most unique UI but has the smallest app ecosystem (you'll probably find what you need but apps don't get updated as fast)

For me the choices are between IOS and WP, with the former having the best ecosystem but a boring UI and the latter having a small ecosystem and a fresh UI.

Couldn't be bothered with android, spend enough time troubleshooting other peoples servers everyday, my phone should just work.
    10-27-2014 11:13 AM
    Owning both, I find the 930 has better text entry with Word Flow, better camera (much better), and better design (have the orange one). The N5 has better customizability, better ergonomics, better grip. I also find the 930 has better sound on calls, and I have been told I sound clearer. Also consider that the n5 is pure stock and gets Android updates first; it has a larger ecosystem, but if you live in a Microsoft world, the 930, for Google apps, N5.
    10-28-2014 05:42 AM
    Those claiming that the N5 has a 'bad' camera are being disingenuous. The camera is quicker than the current Nokia one and takes some quite impressive shots, in my experience. It has some nice features like panorama (which is much better than the Lumia equivalent) and photo spheres, built in. It also has a nice HDR mode.

Once Lollipop arrives, the new camera API is set to offer some significant under the hood improvements too.

I'm not saying it's the best shooter out there, or even a match for the 930 (especially once Denim arrives), but it is very far from being bad.

Edit:

Additionally, on the battery comments, again the N5 isn't going to set any world records here, but I find it completely comparable to the 930. Both get me to the end of the day and need a charge during the evening.
    10-29-2014 01:35 PM
    Those claiming that the N5 has a 'bad' camera are being disingenuous. The camera is quicker than the current Nokia one and takes some quite impressive shots, in my experience. It has some nice features like panorama (which is much better than the Lumia equivalent) and photo spheres, built in. It also has a nice HDR mode.
    After owning the N5 for a few months I'd say its camera is bad. You will miss a lot of shots with it. And I didn't think it was that quick. In fact I found my old Galaxy S2 producing better photos. Cant speak of the N5 now as I moved it on, but the Photospheres are amazing. I've taken plenty with my N4.
    10-29-2014 02:19 PM
    TBH, the nexus 5 is a:
    very cute device - until you drop it.
    very fast device - until you get an update.
    very good camera - until you transfer the photos to your computer.
    very cheap device - until you realize it only lasts a year.

If i were in your position, i would pay an extra $100 and go for 930, or wait for nexus 6 and see how that comes out.

But I am not in you position, i already have a 930 :D

update: oh and i forgot one thing, there is no "mom" company when it comes to android (somewhat Motorola is), but the nexus is an LG after all, as their is some Samsung/ LG phones with pure android. that doesn't make it from the "mom" company.
    Say what? Android 5.0 (Lollipop) will come to the Nexus 5 next week probably and it will make the phone faster than ever with ART as new runtime (even the developer preview is lightning fast). It's the most future proof Android you can get today next to the Nexus 6 that will come now. It will probably even get Android 6.0 when it comes as the Nexus 4 also gets 5.0. So that crushes two or your points. You don't get more bang for the buck than with a Nexus 5. Cheap. Latest OS. Developer friendly with excellent dev support and many possibilities.

That being said. I own both. Two different bests and diffucilt to compare. In the end it comes down to what system you prefer yourself OP. They have about the same battery life with the slight edge to the Nexus 5 in my opinion. Lollipop is said to make it better but we don't know yet.

But the Question should not be Nexus 5 or Lumia 930. It's a matter of Windows Phone or Android.
    faxao likes this.
    11-01-2014 05:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Sorry for digging up such an old thread but I hope that many experienced users can help me out here.

I am currently using a samsung s3 lte but it is rather beat up and is starting to lag quite a bit. I am considering the nexus 5 or the lumia 930 as a replacement (I know the nexus 5x and the 940 will be launched end of this month but I am abit short on dough so I will just consider these 2 old flagships.)

After tolerating my S3's lagginess for a few months, I decided that speed is an important factor in the replacement phone. From what I read, both of these phones offer pretty snappy performance. Now lies the dilemma.

I am definitely not a "power user" by any standards. I use my phone mainly for texting (in terms of SMS, on whatsapp, viber and line), phone calls (normal phone calls and occasional skype), quite a lot of web browsing, a little bit of flipboard and email. Navigation is important for me and I usually use google maps to plan my transit routes. I also use the camera a fair bit. I love photography so manual camera settings in my phone would be cool although not mandatory. If I go on a vacation I would bring along a dedicated camera, so my phone is mainly used for day-to-day candid shots. I also use the camera for taking photos of diagrams, lecture slides and whiteboard explanations for my studies. All in all, the camera needs to be decent, but I think either of these phones is already a huge step up from my S3.

Battery life is not that crucial for me, as long as it can last me through an entire day. I usually leave my phone to charge overnight so I do not need an ultra high stamina battery. I don't play games at all, and don't use my phone for music or videos except for the occasional youtube video.

Based on my usage pattern, which would you recommend? I was reading through some of the comments here, as well as on other sites, who said that the camera on the Nexus is poor. But the hardware is fine, and google has improved the software through several updates. I would love to hear from those who had owned both these phones, and compare their performance after updating to Denim/Win10 preview and Lollipop respectively. I can get a used lumia 930 for about 350SGD and a used nexus 5 32GB for about 250SGD. I know that straight from the box the nokia is definitely the more premium smartphone but given that both phones can perform brilliantly, is it worth the 100$ difference?

Thanks in advance for any useful comments.

(oh yes, another point to note is that I tend to have butterfingers - I drop my phones alot. Which is why I am sticking to these older phones! Imagine the pain of dropping and denting a shiny new lumia 940!)

TL,DR:
    which phone should i get for:
    1) texting and calling
    2) navigation (fast accurate GPS lock-on)
    3) camera (decent, no need overkill)
    4) battery (decent, no need overkill)
    5) lots of web browsing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by namele557777; 09-14-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    09-14-2015 02:27 PM
    Have you thought about 640xl?
    posted via my 640xl
    09-16-2015 04:10 PM
29 12