Got the 930 - in US - with T-Mobile

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Got the 930 last night from a local store in Chicago. Some observations and questions too. I was thinking of moving away from t-mobile because of lack of good phones and visited Verizon store the other day and saw the Icon and fell in love. The prices of Verizon were just too prohibitive to make the move. So started looking for the 930.

- I paid $475 and no warranty. Only thing is that if there is any issue in a week, they will exchange for different phone. No returns. In past I have bought several unlocked phones for friends and relatives from this store. They worked out well. Hoping this one does too.
- store said it is imported from Europe. When I started to phone the default language showed up as English (Malaysia).
- looks like a new phone and not used.
- The SIM tray looks a little flimsy! I panicked wondering if I got a fake!
- Screen looks gorgeous (that alleviated the fear that it is fake - is there a way to check to that it is indeed genuine?)
- Connecting to wi-fi / internet was no issue. I had read on this forum that you had to do some settings. I didn't have to.
- T-mobile network kept me showing 3G and H+. But haven't been out so it is inconclusive at this point.
- phone came with 8.1 and as soon as I started there was a notification for update.
- overheating encountered immediately as soon as I put in on charging. This seems to have gone away after I installed the update and removed Cortano from start screen - don't know which one really helped.
- With the apps coming with the system - the free memory showed 25GB.
- Had to go to t-mobile store to get the Nano Sim.

I haven't played with the Camera, video or other ... but if I find anything worth sharing, I will add it to this thread. So far love this phone. I had a struggle with myself to decide between the 1020 and this one. The screen size and display took preference over a better camera.

Questions:

- I had a bad phone year - already damaged / broke two phones and wife ain't happy about it. So, I need a good case for this phone and looking for recommendations.
- Predictive text was not there. There was a notification to install. I am wondering if I am missing anything else that I need to manually do that would otherwise would have come standard with a T-Mobile certified phone?
- When I switched from 810 to 530 (which was temporary) ... all my apps, photos and email settings etc came up by itself .. not on this one either and wondering why?

Please let me know any thoughts ideas to use this phone or apps better.

Love the phone, OS, this forum and the members!

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Since you brought your own phone to T-Mobile, what's your monthly bill? If you don't mind my asking. I'm torn between buying the Lumia 830 unlocked and going to T-Mobile, or getting it with AT&T on their NEXT plan.

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been with T-Mobile for 8 years now. The plan I have is $100 for four lines with 10GB LTE data (and then it is 2G). Taxes are additional ... the total varies owing to my travel - but it is around $120 to $130. I haven't had coverage issues except traveling to some remote place in Connecticut.

I was thinking about shifting to a new provider and studies both ATT and Verizon and despite getting about 15 to 18% corporate employee discount - both were way too expensive. I am happy with T-Mobile. With their $100 - 4 lines plan they have increased their customer base and I was reading that they are adding more cell towers and adding other bands to support customer bought unlocked phones.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have been with T-Mobile for 8 years now. The plan I have is $100 for four lines with 10GB LTE data (and then it is 2G). Taxes are additional ... the total varies owing to my travel - but it is around $120 to $130. I haven't had coverage issues except traveling to some remote place in Connecticut.

I was thinking about shifting to a new provider and studies both ATT and Verizon and despite getting about 15 to 18% corporate employee discount - both were way too expensive. I am happy with T-Mobile. With their $100 - 4 lines plan they have increased their customer base and I was reading that they are adding more cell towers and adding other bands to support customer bought unlocked phones.
Thanks for that. I'm looking to leave Verizon and trying to go over my options. Never gone the unlocked phone route, so I do have questions.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Since you're thinking about switching over, I assume you're out of contract or would pay the ETF fee.
Regarding AT&T you can go with their prepaid plan (which is what I have had for over a year now).
$60.00 per month, plus sales tax (no silly FCC fees and such), unlimited minutes, 2.5GB data, unlimited domestic text, unlimited intl text.
You could also go with a AT&T mvno like Net10 (make sure to get the AT&T SIM and not the T-Mobile SIM, they have both).
$45.00 per month plus sales tax, unlimited minutes, 2 or 2.5 GB data (I don't remember which) and unlimited domestic texting (no intl texting). I have used them before on my 2nd phone and works great.

:)
Fred

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that's for one line, though they may have "family, i.e multiple line" plans for prepaid also.
Also Net10 may have "family" plans also, I think I remember seeing that.

Fred

Thanks Fred. I am assuming the $60 prepaid is for one line - is that right? I have four lines - family plan with TMo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium