screen lift? how much is normal (pics in post 11)

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
got my 2nd hand NL930 today

I specifically asked the seller about screen lift and giving him links to here and few other places talking about it

he said non at all perfectly fine.

Well

it does have some lift as in it is not flush to the bezel all the way around.

0.8mm on the bottom right and around 0.3 to 0.4 the rest of the corners, when I push down it goes down for around a minute then comes back.

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: screen lift? how much is normal

Second hand? Did the seller mention if it was dropped? Moving parts means accelerated wear and tear, so a screen that "moves" might give birth to other problems later on.

BTW, how were you able to measure the deviations with such precision?:cool:

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

guestimates on the amount its out but I do have a BTec HND in mechanical/electrical engineering so have idea of what roughly it looks like.

Seller is being polite, but reluctant, he is quite rightly is insisting on proof, so will fire up my proper camera and get some shots in work tomorrow under good light.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

Will look forward to updates, then. Sincerely, though, I hope that "lift" won't affect any internals, especially on screen functionality.

scalpetti

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

I noticed a lift in my 930 screen also. It is only on the right edge of the screen and it's very discreet(less than 1mm, I presume). The screen goes down when I press in that area, but in a few seconds it goes right back up. I can't say that it bothers me that much, but I will go back to the seller to report the problem.

I was wondering how many of 930 owners out there are having this issue.

dnbrealm

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site

I get the screen lift too, I didn't when I first got the phone but a couple of weeks of use the screen started to lift from the corners. Approximately 1mm, its annoying.

I could send the phone to a Nokia Care Point but I suspect it will happen again.

I had similar issues on my Lumia 920, screen came loose on the sides. This shouldn't be happening on new devices, its pretty disappointing.

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

In the middle of dealing with Nokia at the moment regarding the screen-lift on my L930. It;s so bad that I can fit a fingernail between the glass and the body. I sent it back to Nokia Care, and they returned it dirty, scratched on the back and didn't replace the screen. Honestly, Nokia Care has provided me with the worst customer service I have ever received. My case is currently being escalated... again.

Maybe WPCentral could do a story on this to bring it more to the forefront attention.

O8eguBL.jpg

This screen should be completely flush with the aluminium. When you press it down, it goes back into place and slowly rises. It's gotten continually worse since I bought it. Shame, because I absolutely love this phone. But this is an issue. If I was to hazard a guess, the glue is failing based on the heat.

edit: Just for a laugh. When I contacted Nokia about this issue, the agent walked me through the steps to factory reset my phone which he hoped would help fix this issue. I'll let that sink in...

cowboyscounty

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

Mine is 14 days old, and i have a screen lift in lower right corner (where search button is located), where the heat is stronger.
And i see that everyone have this problem, so this is very very very bad for Nokia and MS.
I am thinking of going back to samsung s5, (i gave it to my girlfriend when i bouth Lumia). That was a sad day for me :(.

Flagship WP 8.1 phone from Nokia?? This is a piece of chinese junk, they dont know how to glue glass on overheating phone. Very SAD.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a problem with O2 and Nokia about this a few months back.

I got the 930 and after a month had this screen lift issue, all down the right side. Sent it off and got it back a week later. Apparently Nokia said there was nothing wrong with it and returned it un-repaired, and with a dent in the bezel.

I spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone before O2 decided to send me a brand new 1520. The 930 is a really nice phone, but this was a serious flaw that the engineers failed to fix, and that worried me. So I went for the 1520.

Return it if you can as a faulty device.

telmob

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I also have the same screen problem and i'm also considering going for the 1520. But i'd like to hear from someone who made the change. Would you recommend it?

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I also have the same screen problem and i'm also considering going for the 1520. But i'd like to hear from someone who made the change. Would you recommend it?

The 1520 is what I originally wanted, but saw the 930 and just went for it. Lovely phone, but bad fit and finish. But after all the problems I had with the screen lift and then it came back with damage I convinced O2 to send me a brand new 1520, my original choice and I've been very happy.

If you don't mind the size difference then go for it. Personally I think its better built than the 930, and the display is gorgeous.

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine don't have any. So take EVERYONE out of your sentence.

This is not normal, even 0.1?. Look for Nokia Care or your carrier.

Rodrigo, how long have you had your 930? Could you possibly take a close up photo of the sides of your phone? It will help us show what the phone is supposed to look like.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I haven't disassembled a 930 yet but what exactly is keeping the screen in place? Clips? Hooks like the 920 and 1020? I hope not glue. I'm curious since they keep changing how they keep their screen fixed onto the shell.

I think the 920 was the perfect example of how to do it, you got two torx screws at the bottom securing tightly the shell with the display, once off it's easy to remove because they're hooked with the shell so it's nothing more than getting a plastic tool lift it gently and wiggle it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss