Few issues with my new Lumia 930

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
For me, it's not even 3 days when I purchased my Lumia 930 and it looks like there could be some issues. I am not sure if these are issues. But I need your suggestion

1) Screen.The screen is amazing, but when I scroll the menu or contact or setting, overall anything that consists of text, it looks like the scrolled text looses its sharpness. Usually the text is amazingly sharp and crisp. But while scroll, it looks like it looses its sharpness. It becomes bit blurr. Does it have something to do with the refresh rates? The scrolled texts looks slightly blurr, soft and less crisp

I never faced this issue with my 920. The beauty of 920 was the refresh rate of the screen of the screen which is 60hz. Does Lumia 930 have less refresh rate compared to 920?

2) Soft reset. Does the procedure of soft reset differs in 930 compared to previous Lumia devices where you press volume down key and power key together and wait for it to restart with a vibration? In my case it does restart with a vibration. But when you soft reset, and go to battery saver or Nokia insider, it doesn't display the time it was last charged. In my case it still displays that. That means, that the device was simply restarted not rest.

Last edited:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
This is dynamic resolution. Only plasma have full dynamic resolution (1080p : 1080p). AMOLED and LCD have lower dynamic resolution than default resolution.

But I don't think it's blurry. Very sharp IMHO. But it depends on what smartphones you're comparing. Iphone have better dynamic resolution I think. Samsung's AMOLED too.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 has an LCD display with PureMotion hd+ as a selling point. Basically it meant that the screen was less prone to blur when scrolling, because of refresh rate and screen type. L930 has an Amoled screen, witch works different from LCD, meaning that each pixel is powered individually, instead of a back panel light that we see in an LCD. This causes that blur, it takes a few milliseconds for each pixel to light up... Every Amoled screen has this problem, but some show it more than others.

I personally got used to it, but was a bit surprised myself when i noticed it. Didn't think it would be so noticeable on the L930.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I experienced the same thing too. When I compared it to my 920 I saw that especially text isn't crisp while scrolling. But its not that bad, I had phones that were even worse. And you get used to it though.

What bothers me more about the OLED display is that plain colors on the display aren't really plain and clean. Like when you open the Xbox music app for example. Also, grey colors (which are widely used in wp8) changes color often literally (like when screen brightness changes).

But that are disadvantages that comes with the screen technology (I think because of the PenTile pixel arrangement). Luckily it has good things too, like beautiful colors and the deepest black available (which is beautiful in wp8).

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920 has an LCD display with PureMotion hd+ as a selling point. Basically it meant that the screen was less prone to blur when scrolling, because of refresh rate and screen type. L930 has an Amoled screen, witch works different from LCD, meaning that each pixel is powered individually, instead of a back panel light that we see in an LCD. This causes that blur, it takes a few milliseconds for each pixel to light up... Every Amoled screen has this problem, but some show it more than others.

I personally got used to it, but was a bit surprised myself when i noticed it. Didn't think it would be so noticeable on the L930.

Yes, some LCD (just the hi-end LCDs, not the cheap ones, keed that in mind) have better dynamic resolution than OLED displays. But, just like all technology, there's always a bad side.

Unfortunelly we need to decide which one is better for our personal experience. Some will prefer the smoothness, brighter and more faithful colors on LCD display. Others, like me, will prefer more vivid colors, better contrast levels and the black level of OLED screens.

Luckely, in the particular case of Lumia 930, the bad size of OLED screen can be minimized. On Settings we can have a full control of hue, white balance and color vibrance!

But since "bad" dynamic resolution is AMOLED inherent "issue", that can't be changed. It's a physical limitation.

Like I say, in my opinion it's not bad. Only not too good like Iphone, Lumia 920 or LG Gs. The good side of OLED display is more importante to me! Especially in 930 (since we can change a lot of things on settings).

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, some LCD (just the hi-end LCDs, not the cheap ones, keed that in mind) have better dynamic resolution than OLED displays. But, just like all technology, there's always a bad side.

Unfortunelly we need to decide which one is better for our personal experience. Some will prefer the smoothness, brighter and more faithful colors on LCD display. Others, like me, will prefer more vivid colors, better contrast levels and the black level of OLED screens.

Luckely, in the particular case of Lumia 930, the bad size of OLED screen can be minimized. On Settings we can have a full control of hue, white balance and color vibrance!

But since "bad" dynamic resolution is AMOLED inherent "issue", that can't be changed. It's a physical limitation.

Like I say, in my opinion it's not bad. Only not too good like Iphone, Lumia 920 or LG Gs. The good side of OLED display is more importante to me! Especially in 930 (since we can change a lot of things on settings).

Yup, i love the screen on my L930, and amoleds in general. The pure blacks makes it a winner for me. As for color reproduction, on default i think it's ok. But like you said, it's great that we can modify colors, white balance etc, to make it feel more "realistic" if we want to.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site

My Lumia 1020 has an AMOLED PureMotion HD+ display and the text is as crisp as the LCD PureMotion HD+ display on my friend's Lumia 920 when scrolling. I have never faced the issue you are associating with AMOLED's in general on my Lumia 1020.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 1020 has an AMOLED PureMotion HD+ display and the text is as crisp as the LCD PureMotion HD+ display on my friend's Lumia 920 when scrolling. I have never faced the issue you are associating with AMOLED's in general on my Lumia 1020.

1020 have another model of Samsung's AMOLED screen I suppose. I have a Omnia W, wich is better than my Lumia 930 in dynamic resolution. Also have a more intense black too. Pretty impresive screen that on Samsung Omnia W, but I still prefer my 930 (much more sharp and better colors).

Anyway, I will give a try with 1020. I never pay attention in this particular feature. I still have a Lumia 925 in my family too (my father).

Last edited:

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Its not bad, but when you invest on a high end flagship device, you expect everything to be 100% perfect. Although I love the vibrant colors of Lumia 930 over 920.

So MS twice screwed its only flagship of 2014 first by not implementing its own buffer thus removing glance and now this.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I made a test in my fathers Lumia 925 yesterday and could notice that 925 display have a little bit better dynamic resolution, indeed. Lumia 1020 have almost the same screen technology of Lumia 925, so maybe that's why you don't notice this OLED inherent "issue". But it's there anyway.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 920 (LCD), a 1020 (AMOLED), and now a 1520 (LCD). When I first got the 1020, I immediately noticed the screen lag when scrolling. Read up on it and found out it's normal for an AMOLED screen to do this. You just have to get used to it...

I LOVE my 1520 and the snappy responsiveness of it's LCD screen.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had a 920 (LCD), a 1020 (AMOLED), and now a 1520 (LCD). When I first got the 1020, I immediately noticed the screen lag when scrolling. Read up on it and found out it's normal for an AMOLED screen to do this. You just have to get used to it...

It's not lag, please you guys need to understand the difference between lag/stuttering and dynamic resolution.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It's not lag, please you guys need to understand the difference between lag/stuttering and dynamic resolution.
Well, please explain the difference then. I've always understood it as the extra green sub pixels in the AMOLED's pentile "grid" not being able to keep up (turning on and off) with the refresh rate as the user scrolls the text across the screen. On most AMOLED screens this appears as a perceived "lag" or blurry-ness when scrolling quickly.

You don't get that with LCD screens, and is why I prefer it over AMOLED.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, please explain the difference then. I've always understood it as the extra green sub pixels in the AMOLED's pentile "grid" not being able to keep up (turning on and off) with the refresh rate as the user scrolls the text across the screen. On most AMOLED screens this appears as a perceived "lag" or blurry-ness when scrolling quickly.

You don't get that with LCD screens, and is why I prefer it over AMOLED.

There's no problem at all in your preference. Like I say before in other topic, it's a personal choice. AMOLED is better than LCD in some aspects and vice-versa.

OLED have a deep dark, more vivid and beautiful colors and much better contrast levels. But have small dynamic resolution level and the screen is not so bright.

LCD have better dynamic resolution, more faithful colors and bright levels (only in high end displays like 920, 1520, Iphone, LG Gs and others). But have a very poor black and worst battery life.

Now about stuttering. This is stuttering:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
What that video shows is general processor/memory lag (or "stuttering") commonly found with Android devices having too much "bloatware" and crap installed (Touchwiz etc) with the phone's internal storage full.

It has nothing to do with what we (or the OP) are talking about here; the natural display latency perceived in AMOLED screens that causes text to appear blurry when scrolling.

And I'd also have to argue that the blacks on the 1520's LCD screen are anything but "very poor"... Looks like a brilliant black to me! And worst battery life? Again.. 1520. Nuff said...

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It gets blurred with only black background where the text is crisp white. With whit background and black text, it looks fine. Can a subsequent firmware upgrade reduce this problem, if can eliminate it fully?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid it's just the nature of the beast.. as in the way the pixels operate on AMOLED screens, especially ones that follow the pentile grid design like on the 1020. I don't think a firmware update could change this.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
What that video shows is general processor/memory lag (or "stuttering") commonly found with Android devices having too much "bloatware" and crap installed (Touchwiz etc) with the phone's internal storage full.

It has nothing to do with what we (or the OP) are talking about here; the natural display latency perceived in AMOLED screens that causes text to appear blurry when scrolling.

And I'd also have to argue that the blacks on the 1520's LCD screen are anything but "very poor"... Looks like a brilliant black to me! And worst battery life? Again.. 1520. Nuff said...

Exactly. THIS on bold is the perfect description for STUTTERING or LAG. So if really know what is stuttering, I just don't understand why you was "faking" you don't.

If LCD black is brilliant for your eyes, good for you. But it's impossible to compare with ANY OLED specially in this particular aspect. The difference is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. After all, the black on LCD is just grey, not black AT ALL. Even the bests LCD displays have grey blacks. Just google for further information.

About battery life, it's not my opinion. LCD have to be 100% on. All the time. OLED not, only the pixels that are requested. Google it for further information. Again.

I forget to mention about the OLED superiority on viewing angle too. LCD have a INCOMPARABLE worst viewing angle technology EVER. Even older techonology (like de 80's TV displays) are much better. The IPS technology minimizes a lot this problem, but it's not perfect. Still pretty bad. OLEDs displays are far.. very, very, very FAR superior.

If you don't know, LCD backlight is an outdated technology, while OLED... Well, if you find a new LCD TV for sale, let me know... The only reason for LCD screens still there on smartphones is because it is a VERY cheap technology.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)