New to Nokia Lumia 930, from Galaxy S3

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
To day I started my new contract and decided to try a Windows phone Lumia 930)instead of the Android ones I have used for the last four years. It has only been the first day but I am a tad disappointed in what I am missing. This phone is definitely a better quality build and I have a windows computer and windows tablet, so I wanted to complete the ecosystem.
These are my initial gripes and maybe I just haven't found a solution yet.
  • YouTube app
  • Sports Tracker app I use is inferior to Android one
  • Can't play MKV movies
  • Can't find a suitable music player to play music
  • Google Play app missing (I have a huge music collection in Google play)
The following have worked well
  • Contacts, calendar all synced across well
  • The MSN Health and Fitness app looks to be good
  • Love Bing News app
  • The Lumia 930 looks cool and learning its intricacies' is fun
I'd appreciate any suggestions or good links I can go to to help me get more out of this beautiful piece of hardware.
Thanks

jnbnb

May 16, 2013
Visit site
For youtube you can download metrotube, it's quite good.
Phone's music player is often getting updates.
Endomondo (sports tracker) has a clean design and works fine for me.
No google play here, I think that onedrive will support music files.

Bleeh

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
For Google Music, there's an app that works: CloudMuzik.
Sport tracking: Endomondo is cool, you also have Run The Map
To play mkv: you have Moliplayer Pro, it can read mkv as far as I know. Not free though.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
To day I started my new contract and decided to try a Windows phone Lumia 930)instead of the Android ones I have used for the last four years. It has only been the first day but I am a tad disappointed in what I am missing. This phone is definitely a better quality build and I have a windows computer and windows tablet, so I wanted to complete the ecosystem.
  • YouTube app
  • Can't play MKV movies
  • Love Bing News app
I'd appreciate any suggestions or good links I can go to to help me get more out of this beautiful piece of hardware.
Thanks

I like better Runtastic

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
  • YouTube app
  • Can't play MKV movies
  • Love Bing News app
Thanks

Youtube app. Did you even try to search for "YOUTUBE" on marketplace? There's a LOT of Youtube apps, most of them with almost 5 stars. Just choose one. MyTube is my favorite.

What you need in a Music Player? Android experience is a lot worst. I don't understand here.

MKV only with third apps for now. MoliPlayer is my favorite.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
  • YouTube app
  • Can't play MKV movies
  • Love Bing News app
Thanks

I did the same as you, moved from a Galaxy S3 to the Lumia 930. Though I'm embedded in MS services already (Outlook, OneDrive etc.) so that was really easy to get up and running. I agree with some of your points. Not sure about the Google Play Store (I doubt you'll see that on a Windows Phone...ever) and the Sports Tracker.

The YouTube applications are terrible in comparison to the Android and iOS official YouTube apps, absolutely no question about that for me - they're half as functional and all of them can be bit sloppy/slow and tricky to use. But they show YouTube videos eventually so it does the job there. WP is sorely missing a YouTube official app.

The Xbox Music app is pretty good, but I HATE the fact that the seek bar is so small...why not use the full width of the screen?? I don't mind a small seek bar if they allow you to change the "scrubbing" speed like you can on Android and iOS, maybe it's an incoming feature.

I don't miss much at all from the Galaxy S3 though. That phone was bloated and sluggish after 2 years of ownership - I couldn't do Android again after that.

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
  • YouTube app
  • Can't play MKV movies
  • Love Bing News app
Thanks

I have an android tablet, and a windows phone. Imo I like YouTube on WP better thanks to a third party app called mytube, search it up.

For music, check out
-modern music
Or
-zbox

Both amazing apps.

All the best

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't honestly say I've missed an official Google YouTube app. I admit that for some people, it's either official or bust but there are some excellent alternatives. I have Metrotube myself and it has all I need in a Youtube app. But also remember that your 930 comes with IE11 so most of the YT links in m.youtube.com work in-line through the browser because of the HTML5 support. I find myself using Metrotube even less now but that's just me.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't known what you guys find wrong with MetroTube application? It is as good as any other you tube application that iOS and Android offers.

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Mytube is a very nice alternative YouTube app. I'm comfortable saying I probably prefer it to the native Android YouTube app.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Btw you should have an update that gives you folders and cortana depending on the country you live. Check it out in settings > phone updates

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintchip