Here Drive+ and charging

Zbyna

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I use my 930 with original Nokia CR-200 QI charger for car.
Since I have the phone, I was not really able to charge it in the CR-200 while running HERE Drive+. Sometime I'm lucky to get up 5% charged in an hour, but in most cases it goes down. Just to make it clear the charger has the green LED on, means it is charging the phone.

But the phone simply gets quite hot and maybe slow down charging, not sure.

Is it too much to expect that original charger charges the phone wile running own Nokia HERE Drive+ navigation system???
About the same is with my old Lumia 920, but there I cannot charge it at all and battery drains like it is not in the charger.

I have put the charger and my old 920 into the service under the guarantee, but they have not resolved that issue.

Is it about the same for you as well, or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for any advice.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey I don't personally have the 930 yet, but most users have reported they notice battery drain and heating issues when using system app for a prolonged period. Here is one of the main culprits.. So it isn't just you

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
GPS have a huge impact on battery drain to any smartphone. 930 is not different. The 12v limited by car battery don't help either.

So you're doing nothing wrong. That's expected. If you want to charge your phone in this situation, probably you will need a 12v~110v conversor. But I don't think it's gonna really work. I have one, but I never try to do it. I don't think it's safe.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I charge my phone before I get in the car, so it stays charged normally.
Plus: It doesn't hurt to turn navigation off when you know you don't have to turn the next 20 miles...acrivate battery saver in here drive. Just lock screen, after you unlock again it takes max 5 seconds and you are fine again...

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I charge my phone before I get in the car, so it stays charged normally.
Plus: It doesn't hurt to turn navigation off when you know you don't have to turn the next 20 miles...acrivate battery saver in here drive. Just lock screen, after you unlock again it takes max 5 seconds and you are fine again...

Charges just like if you don't use any GPS app? Are you sure?

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I said it stays charged, not it will be charged. That's why I charge it in advance!

Plus hot phone plus charging is not good for the battery...

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
My 928 does the same thing. The car doesn't provide enough juice to charge it with HERE running. Like it was mentioned above, charge it before you leave, and lick the screen when you don't need to turn for several miles. Might not charge much, but it definitely helps.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Uhm, I have a 1,5A charger... Maybe yours is less? Normally they are 1A or even less. The normal charger for the wall plug got 1,5A as well (830).

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Changing subjects, trying to explain for Zbyna why it's expected.

On walls, you get 127~220v, but only 12v~14v on your car. And that's the same reason why PC USB charging is so slow too. Even slowler than car charger, since it works on 5v (I don't have 100% sure about that, but I think it's 5v).

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Rodrigo, you are mostly a very knowledgeable contributor to this space. However, your knowledge is sorely lacking on this issue. Charge rates have nothing to do with original voltage.

Regardless of origin, it is your phone that controls the charge and discharge rates of the battery. What is barely known is that when using a standard 4 wire USB cord, your charge rate is inherently limited to 500mah current flow. For a 2000mah battery, that's 4 hours of charging, plus added time for charging inefficiences.

A 2 wire charging cord, such as that comes with wall chargers that then output to USB don't have this limitation. My 925 will charge at 40% per hour with such a cord. Otherwise, about 4 hours.

Zbyna

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, I think most important it's the point when you use charger made by the same company like your phone, you should expect that it will work means charge the phone even in case it is ruining built-in application HERE Drive +, which make sense as CR-200 is the car charger.

I know that Here Drive is demanding many resources, but I do not care.

I know wireless charging might not be so effective, but I do not care.

Sorry, I bought 2 HW products, made for that purpose and I simply expect them to work as specified.

Sorry, I do not want to operate device in the way turn screen on and off all my way. My phone is protected with the password which is good as it has many things about my private life in, so I cannot accept switching the screen off and on and while driving entering the password, just because someone has not delivered what he advertise and specify in their product.

None of suggested will probably fix the problem, quite sad that it is the feature not the bug :-(

Just wanted to be sure this is not just my case. Thanks.

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had this issue with my 1520 and a 1 amp USB charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I replaced the charger with a 2.1 amp unit with no success.

After some research, I hacked a USB cable to make a charge-only cable. This allowed the phone to drink the full amp that the charger offered. Now I can use here drive or waze in the car no problem.

xtrip

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
There are chargers out there that provide a Quick Charge adapter. It basically shortcuts some of the wires so the phone sees as a wall charger rather than charger+data cable and allowing only .5 Amp. I bought Satechi charger for that purpose and i confirm you can use Drive and charge or at least not loose battery while charging.

I would advise to be careful with 2.1 Amp chargers. I noticed battery on my old 920 became unstable after using it...Also, some people say that 2.1. A costant charging does damage the battery long term.

j o e l

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I would advise to be careful with 2.1 Amp chargers. I noticed battery on my old 920 became unstable after using it...Also, some people say that 2.1. A costant charging does damage the battery long term.

It's ok. The phone itself has the smarts to take only what it needs. The regulation happens in the phone, not the charger. I have observed the phone charges at a high rate up to say 80%, then it seems to trickle charge to 100%. Once at 100%, the phone cuts off the flow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05