If you buy an unlocked international phone and use it in the U.S....

bowlinballs95

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Who controls the timing of the updates? Is it based off of Microsoft's servers and not the carriers? AT&T doesn't sell the 930 but I am using it on their service. So for example, when the Denim update is released, what/who designates when the phone gets the update?

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
When Microsoft releases it for the make / model (CV) - your unlocked phone does NOT rely on AT&T for updates.

Which CV is it ? was a US model released ?

bowlinballs95

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Do you have LTE our haha HSPA+? Any issues with MMS our internet sharing?

I'm using the phone on AT&T and do not get LTE. The international phones with LTE bands in it work on LTE overseas but not in the U.S. I get H and H+ (3G and 4G) which is still relatively fast on AT&T (about 7-8mbps). MMS and internet sharing work perfectly also.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
MDK22 is correct. This has absolutely nothing to do with how updates are distributed (WiFi, OTA or otherwise).

The most important piece of the puzzle is the BRANDING (not whether your device is locked or unlocked). For a branded device, it is the carrier that decides when you receive an update. You can be in Germany and insert a German SIM from, say, Vodaphone... if your device is branded to AT&T, you will get an update only after AT&T U.S. signs off on the update. Whether the device is locked or unlocked is irrelevant.

For unbranded devices, it is the OEM (not MS) that determines when you get the update.

Either way, updates are always distributed either by MS or OEMs. For branded devices carriers say when updates may be distributed, but they don't actually handle distribution.

Branding and country code are set in your device's firmware. As a result, branding and country can be changed by flashing a different ROM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb