Problem with Lumia 930 second microphone

Vinod Thomas

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Sir i face the same problem,when my Nokia lumia 930 speaker is switched on the person on the other side cannot hear me
but i could hear him.My phone doesn't have an Indian warranty or an international warranty . i bought it from Dubai last April 2015.
So how could i overcome this problem.Please give me a solution.
Thanks and Regards
Vinod Thomas
15/09/2015

Makubex1980

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up guys, just came back from holliday and put my media on my pc and guess what... all movies i made have no audio on the left side (recorded in landscape).
Way togo Nokia/Microsoft. I'm an Android ****** but wanted to try a Lumia phone and actually love the OS itself, app gap is not that big of an issue to me. But now there seems to be a lot of QC issues with this device.
I''m sorry but im gonna jump ship back to my Note 4 and MSFT lost another customer sadly.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
even if the hardware is broken there should be a way to divert another microphone for this use, there are 4 of them on the device right? when I record a video I hear myself. I'm not sure if it is stereo or not, but it's perfectly capable of getting some sound from somewhere. this is the only problem with this otherwise awesome device. Also the lack of a native gchat client.

sstiwari

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Alas, just to get the White Gold Version of 930, I got it imported from Hong Kong, it was not available in India. Now, I am stuck with two dead rear mics and no warranty. Talked unofficially to Nokia Service Center and they clearly told :-

There are two hardware design issues with Lumia 930.

1. The two mics on the rear fail after sometime due to grounding/shorting issue. Even after mic replacement it fails again after sometime, so no use in replacing them.
2. The screen flickering on 2G / EDGE connection again is a design issue due to improper shielding of 2G Radio.

Nothing can be done about these issues, just learn to live with them.

andreabarbera

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same microphone problem as other people here. My phone is still under warranty (11 months old), but I have a crack in my screen. Would the repair service not accept to repair the microphone problem because of the cracked screen? I'm really bothered about the mic problem as I Skype regularly, which is a pain now without the mic working when doing a videocall.

s1ns_1984

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
also happens to me, i cannot record voice message via LINE or Whatsapp or even onenote.
Strangely it works fine with cortana and video recorder
i just had my phone out of service center for ghost touch on my screen couple months ago
LUMIA is like E.T. (it likes to go home)

TV87

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi everybody!

My first post here. Just wanted to share my experience regarding the problems of the lumia 930 as described in this trade.

So, I had the same problem with my lumia 930. The second mic wasn’t functioning in all the ways already described. I sent it to the official Nokia/Microsoft care point in my country, the first time they changed the screen (the screen was lifted in one corner) and mic. The mic issue was still there. So I sent it back, and now I have to wait for a whole month (frustrating!) for the new motherboard.
It seems that’s the only possible fix for the mic problem, a new motherboard…

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Darn, seems my 930 has the problem when using the phone in speaker mode - other caller cannot hear anything i'm saying.

Cortana seems fine though. Not sure i can go without the phone for a long period of time if returned, may put up with it. Good to know UK Lumias have a 2 year warranty though, as mine is now 13 months old.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to find out of my L930 is affected with this issue aswell.

I loaded test tool and mic 1 & mic 2 work very nice, very loud. But mic 3 and mic 4 are a lot more quiet. They still work, but a lot more quiet. Does this mean my L930 is affected aswell? Mine was made in Vietnam, fyi.

btw, where exactly are mics located? I can see two on the back of the phone and one in front, right under microsoft logo, but where is 4th? and which numbers are for the mics? the ones on the back, are those 1-2 or 3-4 ?

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to find out of my L930 is affected with this issue aswell.

I loaded test tool and mic 1 & mic 2 work very nice, very loud. But mic 3 and mic 4 are a lot more quiet. They still work, but a lot more quiet. Does this mean my L930 is affected aswell? Mine was made in Vietnam, fyi.

btw, where exactly are mics located? I can see two on the back of the phone and one in front, right under microsoft logo, but where is 4th? and which numbers are for the mics? the ones on the back, are those 1-2 or 3-4 ?

Refer to this post for details:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/328279-2.htm#post3161754

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Re.tested.

mic 4 is fine as long as I speak very near it. As said by Chomiq in his upper post, if this mic is for noise cancellation, maybe its quieter on purpose?

But the real diff is bewteen mic 2 and 3. While mic 2 level is normal when speaking from a distance, the level on mic 3 is much lower. But if I lean towards mic 3, the level is fine.

I wonder if this is design flaw caused by noise cancellation mic 4 and mic 3 shares the same circuit thus making it much more quiet when it should not be? and this indeed is SW issue, the SW should make it louder when needed, eg recording in dolby?

Cortana hears me nicely and voice recording works fine too (I guess they both use mic 1?). Cant test speaker mode during calls now, but will do later.

Chomiq, you said all your mic levels are the same, beside nr4, was that tested in OS by some app or using nokia care suite? Are you mics fine from the start or you had them replaced, how old is your phone?

fyi, latest WP10 OS running.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I used nokia care suit and plugged in headphones for tests to get stable output on audio. The only thing replaced in my unit was the mainboard, but that was separate issue, unrelated to microphones. Phone was originally purchased in December last year.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Tested today.

So the nr 1 and nr2 are "at the bottom" and nr3 and nr4 are "at the top" of the phone. nr3 and n4 are noticable quiter.

Cortana, voice recorder...use nr1, while speaker mode during a call uses nr4. If I move phone very near my face the caller hears me just fine, otherwise "I sound like coming from a distance"...

I am tempted to downgrade back to cyan and see if it works there, but most likely will not do this until the next WP10 build. then its time to decide if this is a SW or HW issue and mess with warranty (I still have almost 2 years available, phone is almost brand new).

I wonder...since 1520 is "the same HW", are there issues with it aswell?

Pierre Christen1

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Tested today.

So the nr 1 and nr2 are "at the bottom" and nr3 and nr4 are "at the top" of the phone. nr3 and n4 are noticable quiter.

Cortana, voice recorder...use nr1, while speaker mode during a call uses nr4. If I move phone very near my face the caller hears me just fine, otherwise "I sound like coming from a distance"...

I am tempted to downgrade back to cyan and see if it works there, but most likely will not do this until the next WP10 build. then its time to decide if this is a SW or HW issue and mess with warranty (I still have almost 2 years available, phone is almost brand new).

I wonder...since 1520 is "the same HW", are there issues with it aswell?

My 1520 doesn't have this problem. My 930 does and I'm gonna send it for repair.

Glenn Slender

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone. Here are some facts about this issue.
It is not a software issue. It is definitely hardware. I had it on Cyan, Denim and Windows 10. I have even completely rebuilt my phone from scratch and it made no difference.
Someone mentioned that it may be the headphone jack. It isn't. I installed a new one and it made no difference.
I have a workaround that will enable you to record audio with your videos.
Firstly plug in some headphones that include a microphone in them, then start the camera app then record a video. The audio will be at a good level.
I'm very disappointed that my 930 has this problem. It has never been dropped so I'm surprised that it has this issue.

ninja_griz

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 930 mic went when I updated to Windows 10 Beta. It must be software and not hardware as when I have had to roll back to 8.1 (several times during the Beta) I have tested on 8.1 and the Mic's work again just fine in video's and speaker phone. As soon as I update back to Win 10 beta, the mic's fail :unhappy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium