Problem with Lumia 930 second microphone

ChrisPhoenix

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
The second microphone on my Lumia 930, the one used when you are on speaker mode in a call, the one which the camera is using to record voice, the one the Cortana is using to hear you ... does not seem to work ... or better to say, microphone level is extremely low.

When I am in a call, hands on mode, my peer hears me very well. When I switch to speaker mode, the voice level drops very low and the other party cannot hear anything. The same is experienced in video recording where any dialogues are heard very low. With Cortana, if you say "Hello", with a normal voice level, she does not respond. If you shout really loud saying "Hello" ... she responds! :)

This is 95% a software issue as everything was working fine just a few weeks ago when I bought the phone and I tested all these, especially Cortana. I even have some video recordings where speech is listened clearly and at normal levels.

Does anybody have any clue what could be the problem and how to fix it?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello Phoenix :) You aren't the first to have issues with the second mic.. The first thing I would recommend you to do, is bring it back in and ask for a replacement, if the phone is still covered.

Or... You could try the Lumia Software Recovery Tool to completely reset the phone. Back up all of your data first. Be careful tho :) Search around the forums to see how others have used the recovery tool (previously named: nokia software updater)

mad_rise

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
The same problem here, I don't even know if its related to software or hardware.
Has anyone tested Lumia recovery?
I almost can't use skype, cortana and similar apps or call someone on speaker. :(

Rob Rowland

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this issue too. I've tried hard reset, soft reset, starting from new, even nokia recovery tool flashing the stock firmware, then the uk one. Still having issues unless I speak really loud. I have however found, on my device, if I speak directly into the earpiece, yes I said earpiece, even in a soft voice, it recognizes my voice every time. No other microphone will pick up my voice unless I yell at it lol. Unfortunately I don't know if these issues existed out of the box since I updated my device immediately after turning it on.

Karel Donk

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with my lumia 930. Bottom mic sensitivity is extremely low, so cortana doesn't hear anything I say. Is this a hardware or software issue?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Excellent! I haven't returned mind yet as I was waiting to see if a firmware update would cure it..... now just got to wait!

Rob Rowland

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
to get denim, I flashed my firmware to 059W0X5: RM-1045 VAR EURO 3V CV BLACK, after that go to phone update and it will install Denim :) OR you can wait until its released in your country.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
to get denim, I flashed my firmware to 059W0X5: RM-1045 VAR EURO 3V CV BLACK, after that go to phone update and it will install Denim :) OR you can wait until its released in your country.

Good to know that this issue is fixed with denim. Have you noticed anything else fixed that may not have before?

jyasin

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to let you guys know that i received my denim update on Lumia 930 000 HK variant and it fixed the mic issue. I am so pleased now.

Karel Donk

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
After the denim update Cortana now hears me. But the "hey cortana" training doesn't hear me. And in Skype and OneNote talking on speaker is very low, i can hardly hear my voice when playing a recording back. So the problem is kindof reversed now for me. What in the hell is going on?

Sven2015

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, did the denim update yesterday, haven't tried cortana, but in skype, I still can't use the speaker cause nobody can hear me. It does work for me also if I speake into the earpiece, but that's not exactly the idea on how to use skype...

SilentAssassin

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
After trying to setup hey Cortana and it not recognising me I too have noticed that recording from the loud speaker mic seems to have stopped. You can notice it when recording a video, the audio is really low. I compared it to a recording made before Denim.

bkkwp

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I also have this problem with my 930. The speaker phone started getting worse and worse, now no one can hear me on speaker. I can't record video's with any sound, and Cortana doesn't hear me at all.

I'm waiting for the Denim update to see if it fixes it but if it doesn't I will return it to where I purchased it from.

Edno Fedulo

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i tested a video recorded with the native camera app and another one recorded with the nokia camera app, in the same conditions, the video recorded with nokia camera has problem with the sound level, but the one recorded with the native app dont

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise