Problem with Lumia 930 second microphone

ShannonKB

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I think it's an issue with the headphone jack. I believe it gets stuck into thinking there is still a mic plugged in so it pulls audio feed from a non existent audio source for speakerphone and videos, shazam, etc. I managed to get it to record audio in a video by shoving a toothpick around inside the jack attempting to wiggle any possible stuck contacts.
Shan

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have changed my product code as denim wasn't available at the time for my device. I will try to resort to the original product code and see what happens, after I update to denim. (and then w10 tp) using a l1020.
It seems that the issue is mostly usa versions of the 1020 920 930. I stand corrected on that.

jirkahtc

Banned
Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
It's definitely hardware issue..

I can confirm.
Just a few words to the microphone (using PC SW Nokia Care Suite). Test the microphones carefully, in case micr. No. 3 and 4 is or both are more quiet than micr. No 1 and 2 it is necessary to replace the motherboard.
If one of micr. No 3 and 4 is or both of them are broken they do not work at all or they are recording more quiet than No. 1 and 2. The sound of e.g. the record ( video) is quiet and the right channel is more loudly.
If you start recording a video and you speak on the left side and afterwards on the right side than when playing the video on your PC you must hear a big difference between the left and the right side.

Last edited:

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
In my case #4 records lower audio levels. All others are the same. On the other hand, since #4 is located by the earpiece I believe it's main purpose is to cancel out noise coming from the earpiece itself.

Pierre Christen

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
+1, I'm having the same issue on my 930. I didn't test with the camera and other applications though. What is really irritating is no one can hear me when I set the call in speaker mode.

Why no one from MS or Nokia give a statement on this?

I guess the only solution is for me to give it for repair :(

BeatKe

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, did the denim update yesterday, haven't tried cortana, but in skype, I still can't use the speaker cause nobody can hear me. It does work for me also if I speake into the earpiece, but that's not exactly the idea on how to use skype...

here the same. cortana can hear me perfectly and also sound recording for video works. but for whatsapp, onenote even calls on loud speaker i have to speak into the earpiece (it is still not working after bringing back to care point and no update helped). Therefore I assume a software issue which I really cant understand why microsoft is not able to fix it

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
All I know is when mine went for repair they replaced it with another device.

Good= battery life and screen perfect
Bad= I had to settle for a black one rather than orange :cry:

GeorgeX21

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I think that I have a similar problem. When I record a video with Lumia camera app and hold the phone in a vertical position a have no sound. Horizontally I have. Have anyone try this;

jaysun_walter

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
This started happening probably about two months ago on my fully updated 930 as well. Speaker phone not working, video recording not working, regardless of portrait or landscape mode. I found the only video that does record sound is when I plug in my Apple earbuds - it uses that microphone, because when testing it with headphones that don't have a microphone it again doesn't work with a lot of noise, the sound coming through very slightly, only barely able to be heard when putting my ear right up against the mic.

I also just used the Windows recovery tool to format and restore my phone. This at least seems to have fixed the delayed screen rotation issues that also plagues these cursed phones.

Lumia help on Twitter was also not very helpful, only offering the most rudimentary suggestions to fix the problem.

On top of this, my phone has no warranty.

This is my first Windows phone, having moved from iPhone, and I have to say, I love the phone but its so darn buggy and more importantly, the support is next to non-existent. Hopefully Microsoft's new approach to the Lumia range, with fewer phones, will bring more focused support.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
For sure I have the speaker phone problem, but I barely use that normally anyways. Gotta be a software issue as I used to use speaker phone without any real issue.

Mhairi McKenzie

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I've booked a pick up on Friday for my phone to be looked at by a care centre.

Has anyone used this service and can advise how long I'll likely be without a phone?

To add to the fun, I'm also based in Scotland and there isn't a care centre here!

ushodax

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
my product support tool for store doesn't recognize my lumia 930 (rm-1045) it says "not supported" any clues?

edit: well, downgraded to nokia care suite and now it recognize it but can't put it in test mode, getting error "cannot locate proper test mode package for rm-1045 (from 0 available)"

Last edited:

anestacom

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
May I know how long does it take to fix the problem for your phone?

I sent my phone into service center here in Malaysia and they identified that it's board issue. After two weeks Microsoft still unable to give them an ETA for the replacement board and I was told that they have another two phones that had been waiting since May. This is not going to work for me.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
When I had my motherboard exchanged it took them about 2 or 3 weeks to process it. Considering the fact that they told you that they have two units waiting for the same part for about 3 months I suggest requesting replacement unit.

Amit Shkuri

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem here and I noticed that when I record a video in landscape mode the second mic works perfect !
This is the only way the mic works. All the other ways like phone call in speaker, cortana ext does not work.
That mean the problem is in software?

dcmal

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have almost the same problem. Holding the phone to my ear, I can make calls perfectly, but in freehand mode sound recording is extremely dim. Funnily, Cortana works even in freehand mode.

Aschmano

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have ave my phone up and running since I purchased on March this year, was a bit worried about all the bugs reported, two days after I got it the vibration rattle happened to me, and I was fingers crossed regarding the mic issue, just yesterday I noticed it started, so I am with you suffering the same mic problem.
I'm pretty sure it was working before two days because I'm using the speaker phone nearly all the time in my work, I have no clue what to do, first step will try Googling, sad face.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa