Problem with Lumia 930 second microphone

mighty haggis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
if it was hardware my recorded video would not of had sound after installing lumia camera beta,so it is software related , NO SOUND ON VIDEO USING WINDOWS CAMERA ( WINDOWS 10), I HAVE SOUND ON VIDEO USING LUMIA CAMERA BETA, sorry for caps so it cant be hardware because if it was then i wouldn't get audio in video at all.
windows 10 mobile obviously does not support all the mics on the 930 simples lol

Impenneteri

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
if it was hardware my recorded video would not of had sound after installing lumia camera beta,so it is software related , NO SOUND ON VIDEO USING WINDOWS CAMERA ( WINDOWS 10), I HAVE SOUND ON VIDEO USING LUMIA CAMERA BETA, sorry for caps so it cant be hardware because if it was then i wouldn't get audio in video at all.
windows 10 mobile obviously does not support all the mics on the 930 simples lol

How about recording a video in vertical?
Recording audio using an app like Perfect Recorder?
Using speaker mode when calling?

Tonyss90

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I wanna thanks you Gourav Mopidevi, I have an another dead lumia 930, can I use these microphones on my another lumia 930 gold ? I want to know which microphones to change ? Also any tutorial how to do that ?

1Icarus2

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Alright there we go again! Thank you Nokia! My 2nd Nokia Lumia 930 has now been sent in for the EXACT same mic problems I had with my 1st one.

I'm done with Nokia - I'm done with Microsoft. Cheers!

anon(9854175)

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
@1Icarus2

"I'm done with Nokia - I'm done with Microsoft. Cheers!"

Unfortunately I came to the exact same point about 2 days ago with my 930 repeated mic and overheating issues.

I really wanted to love using Windows Mobile but it wasn't to be.

At least my desktop PC is still awesome with Windows 10 😊

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

danielgr

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
welcome to club....it's not software problem it's hardware....I've same problem...install windows 10 record video...playback recorded video using headphone if there is no sound 3 & 4 mic broken...if there is sound on left 3 working fine 4 broke...I just went trought all those.....I bought two mic which seller claims original..on board there are two mic which are situated above front and back those are 2 & 3...mostly 3 & 4 are culprit here...I taught 2 & 3 as 3 & 4 and changed both now I can hear sound on left but not on right means I changed 2 which is perfectly fine pheww where I repaired 3rd mic so I can hear sound on left headset...I can't find 4th one when I opened it...I guess I have to change flex mic hope it works now...
One more to the club, with mics 3 and 4 recording sound at incredibly low levels.
Silly thing is that in WP8 I could still get sound when recording videos and virtually everything but when speaking on the loud-speaker.
I guess that means that WP8.1 was using all the mics at the same time, or at least both of the rear ones, whereas W10 is only using the upper one (#3) which seems to be broken.
I sure hope Microsoft updates their OS, or there is going to be a massive outrage of Lumia 930 users who may not still be aware of the microphone problems.

Last edited:

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
One more to the club, with mics 3 and 4 recording sound at incredibly low levels.
Silly thing is that in WP8 I could still get sound when recording videos and virtually everything but when speaking on the loud-speaker.
I guess that means that WP8.1 was using all the mics at the same time, or at least both of the rear ones, whereas W10 is only using the upper one (#3) which seems to be broken.
I sure hope Microsoft updates their OS, or there is going to be a massive outrage of Lumia 930 users who may not still be aware of the microphone problems.

w10 using two mics one for right sound one for left sound :)
there is nothing wrong with os :( if you want to know more, check my reply in this post..sorry I cant reply again and again :)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...w-test-lumia-930-microphones.html#post3419466

venki m

May 8, 2015
Visit site
It's an hardware issue what I understand... The issue caused due to denim update.. Stupid Microsoft is not capable of fixing it.. We need to change the mic by giving it to service center or live with it or throw Lumia 930 and go for android or iPhone as many intelligent people did. We like dumb people praise that stupid MICROSOFT...

1Icarus2

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
@1Icarus2

"I'm done with Nokia - I'm done with Microsoft. Cheers!"

Unfortunately I came to the exact same point about 2 days ago with my 930 repeated mic and overheating issues.

I really wanted to love using Windows Mobile but it wasn't to be.

At least my desktop PC is still awesome with Windows 10 ��

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Yeah I have no problem with Microsoft when it comes to PC. I'm just tired of having to struggle with their Phones and the software on their phones.

PsyOr

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
First and last time I buy windowsphone, guess the name 'windows phone' intention to a phone that you trow from the window.
Definitely one of the worst I even had, if its not doing the main reason its calls 'a phone' (couldn't use speaker on calls) then it not worth a penny.
I quickly back to the android, don't waste your time.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Yup, no sound in video after upgrading to official windows 10 mobile. Both in horizontal and vertical. Microsoft default camera app.

mighty haggis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
when i insteaaled windows 10 to my 930 i removed lumia camera thats when my audio disappeared from video, so the other day i decided to do a hard reset so lumia camera would be back in my list of apps,to my surprize I NOW HAVE AUDIO IN MY VIDEOS USING WINDOWS CAMERA IN PORTRAIT & LANDSCAPE so i still stand by my previous comments stating that it's not hardware it has to be windows 10 not supporting all the mics on 930, all i can say is im happy now that i have sound on my recorded videos

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Not as easy as that!

My understanding is that the 930 uses it's mics as an array and different apps use the mics in different ways, so that is why it 'looks' like a OS change etc fixes/breaks them.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-930/394997-2.htm#post3430808

1) I got two original mic(nokia care guy conformed).
2) repaired partially..before repair: on windows 10: no sound for recorded video(playback),while on call if we use loud speaker other end can't hear us,no voice recording.....after repair: on windows 10: can hear sound for recorded video(playback) but only on right side(I mean if we playback recorded video using headset only right ear can hear sound where as on left it's mute), still other end can't hear my voice,no voice recording.

there are four mic: front bottom and back bottom are flex mic, front behind ear plug and back top are on board mic....I changed both on board mic according to nokia service guy he say one of the new mic is broken...according to one guy or some fellows ( both on board mic's are 3 & 4) and both flex mics are 1 & 2..after repair I think 3 mic's are working where as one doesn't I don't know which one is culprit...Lumia test application just waste before repair it said 3 & 4 are fault after repair it says same pheww....i think 2nd mic(back flex mic) is culprit....it's easy if you spend some time in research.

below images are from other users who claim they know which one is culprit.
f57af53a-3823-438b-baf3-bff9a434f35c.jpguntitled k.pnguntitled.png

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Ok, after hardware reset - Mic 1, 2, 3 in my unit are working. Microphone #4, the one located inside the earphone picks up audio at MINIMUM level. You basically have to scream into the earphone, pump up the volume on the playback to barely here anything. Audio is there, it's just barely audible. This microphone is used for in built voice recorder. Therefor easiest test for this is to launch the voice recorder and check if it produces any audio. I get audio in skype recording test, so it probably uses different microphone and people reporting this failing must have different mic issue.

@gourav mopidevi
Check voice recorder app in W10M, it uses Mic #4.

Therefor:
a) mic #4 was previously boosted internally in Lumia Camera app in order to produce audio at the same level as other microphones, new camera app missed that part of the code, which results in this particular mic not producing audio at the right level
b) no audio in voice recorder is the result of a), bad mixing of audio channel or MS choosing wrong microphone for audio recording (should be mic #1)
c) no audio at all in video recorder might be result of migrating from 8.1 to 10 without performing HW reset, while at the same time restoring backup of apps from 8.1. Performing update, then HW and not using restore function gives proper audio on video recordings.

Last edited:

marpamcy

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok, after hardware reset - Mic 1, 2, 3 in my unit are working. Microphone #4, the one located inside the earphone picks up audio at MINIMUM level. You basically have to scream into the earphone, pump up the volume on the playback to barely here anything. Audio is there, it's just barely audible. This microphone is used for in built voice recorder. Therefor easiest test for this is to launch the voice recorder and check if it produces any audio. I get audio in skype recording test, so it probably uses different microphone and people reporting this failing must have different mic issue.

@gourav mopidevi
Check voice recorder app in W10M, it uses Mic #4.

Therefor:
a) mic #4 was previously boosted internally in Lumia Camera app in order to produce audio at the same level as other microphones, new camera app missed that part of the code, which results in this particular mic not producing audio at the right level
b) no audio in voice recorder is the result of a), bad mixing of audio channel or MS choosing wrong microphone for audio recording (should be mic #1)
c) no audio at all in video recorder might be result of migrating from 8.1 to 10 without performing HW reset, while at the same time restoring backup of apps from 8.1. Performing update, then HW and not using restore function gives proper audio on video recordings.

You are correct. HW reset windows 10 WITHOUT restoring backup brings back audio in my videos.
Mic #4 is working but at a very low level. I was able to find a song with shazam but i had to keep the phone (mic #4) very close to the source.
Build in voice recorder is using the same mic. I will test other voice recorder apps from the store and see if they use a different mic for recording.

I also had a problem with the camera button not working and surprisingly HW reset solved this problem as well.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Just commenting here to keep an eye on the thread.
I have a 930 still on 8.1 and luckily have no audio problems.
If I upgrade to win10 and do a full reset too should I be alright audio wise?

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Go ahead and do a nokia care suite check on the microphones. If all are recording correctly you should be good with W10M after factory reset without backup restore.

Some units seem to have faulty microphones. Those that are ok are fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12