Problem with Lumia 930 second microphone

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Audio is not recording any more in Lumia 930 after updating to win 10... Bl**dy Microsoft ..what to do now...

Try a hard reset, then set up as new, don't set up from back up.
It's been reported that this fixes the audio in recording bug, unless you had a previously broken mic you were unaware of.

mrleonidou

May 6, 2013
Visit site
(noticed issue when on wm10 may have been on 8.1 also) I had the same issue and tried numerous times to roll back to 8.1 and to 10 again on different releases. Had small issues each time eg some tiles not working properly and could not unistall the app to rectify or Motion Sensor was not working, but the secondary Microphone not working was always an issue (at least for my 930) even when i went back to 8.1 and thought that it was a hardware failure after reading how many people were having the same issue but no one really having a solution and gave up for months until 2 days ago when I rolled back to 8.1 (8.10.14219.341) with the Windows Device Recovery Tool . Now everything works perfectly. There is still hope.

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
So we bought a broken phone from the start since on W8.1 it used other mics for recording.. Isn't that nice !? We should sue them.
It seems I have the same problems and after I watched that video for sure i have broken mics also. Also the proximity sensor isnt working at all on my device.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
So we bought a broken phone from the start since on W8.1 it used other mics for recording

No it was working when you bought it, but if failed sometime later, the issue may not have been obvious on WP8.1 so you probably never noticed it.

DeNeDe

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Honestly i did never use speaker to see if all mics are working. But today just did a test with the testing tool and it showed me 3rd and 4th mics dead and also proximity sensor is malfunctioning. I need to press on the upper-right corner for it to work and then stops working again.
Its so troublesome to do a RMA since i don't have another device to use until they repair/give me another device.
I was thinking of going to the 950XL but i see they dont have qualcomm 820 in it and the new win10 so far is bull****

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Don't think there's a single phone out there sunning Snapdragon 820, so that's a stupid claim. That being said I wouldn't even consider 950XL at this point.

abhirajsoni

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. Mic problem is fixed now in latest redstone update. Camera is recording audio very well now. Although loudspeaker mic is still broken. But something is better than nothing.

Sent from mTalk

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Took the plunge and installed win10 on my 930 today. Checked my microphones first using the previously discussed pc software and thankfully all were working.
Installed and did the advised reset and start from fresh and audio all seems fine.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok, after hardware reset - Mic 1, 2, 3 in my unit are working. Microphone #4, the one located inside the earphone picks up audio at MINIMUM level. You basically have to scream into the earphone, pump up the volume on the playback to barely here anything. Audio is there, it's just barely audible. This microphone is used for in built voice recorder. Therefor easiest test for this is to launch the voice recorder and check if it produces any audio. I get audio in skype recording test, so it probably uses different microphone and people reporting this failing must have different mic issue.

@gourav mopidevi
Check voice recorder app in W10M, it uses Mic #4.

Therefor:
a) mic #4 was previously boosted internally in Lumia Camera app in order to produce audio at the same level as other microphones, new camera app missed that part of the code, which results in this particular mic not producing audio at the right level
b) no audio in voice recorder is the result of a), bad mixing of audio channel or MS choosing wrong microphone for audio recording (should be mic #1)
c) no audio at all in video recorder might be result of migrating from 8.1 to 10 without performing HW reset, while at the same time restoring backup of apps from 8.1. Performing update, then HW and not using restore function gives proper audio on video recordings.

are you sure mic behind ear piece is the one which used to record voice when using voice recorder app ?

jirkahtc

Banned
Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
All four microphones work with Windows 10 mobile (oficial 164) in the right way.They work in all aplication, records app, cortana, shazam, loud call.If not there is something wrong with hw phone/microsphones defect.On the microphones must record the same level of the sound.If one microphone is recording different level of the sound there is somethong wrong/hw.

spn_mihai

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I have redstone installed on my lumia 930, on speaker mics don't work, neither in video recording with microsoft camera, for video recording i use lumia camera beta, i have sound on videos :D

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
i'm from india.I love nokia, when my friend was going to visit Hongkong i requested him to bring Nokia Lumia 930(special edition) which he did :)

it was fine on win 8.1 but when i installed win 10 then i found like many L930 users out of 4 some mic's was not working..

Q) when was mic broken ?
A) we got L930 with Win8.1 pre installed...we got an update Denim well i'm sure this update messed mic.

Q) what are the infamous problem L930 users are facing regarding mic ?
A) 1) if use speaker while on call other end can't hear our voice,voice recorder can't record any voice,whats app audio recorder can't record voice to send.
2) can't hear any voice in recorded video while playback...i mean video recording have no voice.

Q) is it software problem or Hardware problem?
A) it is hardware problem live with it....it's not software.

Q) but i heard sound while recording on win 8.1 with Lumia camera? it's all win 10 inbuilt camera fault?
A) yes, we have sound on win 8.1/win 10 with lumia camera because lumia camera use different array of mic in different scenario...for eg: we dont get sound when we record video in portrait mode..etc

Q) How many mic's are there? where are they situated? which one is crused?
A) Four mics, out of which two are soldered on board, one behind earpiece another one back top most...other two are flex cable mic one front bottom another one back bottom.....well it depends and hard to find....many says it's on board mic,some says its back two, some says only two.

Q) whats in you're case?
A) well in my case...it's bit complicated...here is my experience...i ordered two orginal on board mic...i changed them when i'm on win 10...after changing i got sound but only mono...i mean while video playback,plug in headset then i can hear only on right ear plug where as left one is complete mute.

Q) I've very low sound recording from some mic?
A) whatever it's still broken.

Q) How to test which mic is broken?
A) Well many suggesting to use Lumia test application 6.0.9....in my case it failed,how? well before repair it said 3 & 4 are broken after repair it still says 3 & 4 are broken. for some people it showed all mic are working fine...this take me to next question.

Q) Does changing mic solve problem permanently?
A) No, it just solve temporarily.

Q) How you know it doesn't solve permanently?
A) well 2days back i installed win 8.1 using windows recovery tool...i checked video recording and playback...it had no sound :(...then i installed denim otp update i guess i got sound then i installed win 10 lost sound came to initial state...

Q) what i suggest?
A) If possible Change whole motherboard dont change faulty mic..
If possible just throw it or sell it...doesn't worth time.
less on budget or want to replace only mic....fine replace it on win 10...never ever go back to win 8.1.

Q) What i think?
A) Denim changed how mic's are used to record video in return many handsets caused some circuit fault which enable in failure of mic.
Microsoft doesn't want to take responsibility...so we left with unreliable A**H*** company....i hope i bought Apple..i just blinded by
fanism...my first smartphone was S3 never got a single problem from past 4yrs.
sad part i have warranty but in HongKong which is not valid in India :( i'm very low on budget so i will use this piece of useless sh** untill
2017 nov then i will buy iphone 7s/8...or i will wait for 4/5 months of flagship Lumia release before buying..

i just want effected users to make something viral so that microsoft fall on their knees,listen to us,acknowledge us, solve our problem same li apple step up to solve their customers problem..

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion