Honest opinion L930 or L925

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm probably gonna end up buying L930 in the next week or two and while reading the forums I've read quite a lot complaints on faulty devices etc. I've had my share with android phones (5 years), so I want to give WP a try. My friend has a lumia phone, I think its 530 or something like that, so comparing to L930 with specs its more of a budget phone. But it runs smooth, no lags and such. And he says that the battery is amazing. Reading how you have complaints that the battery lasts 22h - 1 day, and others that have good battery life (24h+), just wanna say that 1 day is a great deal for me, since my current phone Samsung Galaxy Nexus (3 years old), lasts around a few hours depending on what I do with it. Which is usually open instagram a few times and spotify for music, and that's pretty much it. I have to charge it a lot so that pisses me off. Having a full day without charging is gonna make me really happy.
So considering that the L930 is a newer phone than L925, is it worth the extra money ? Just by looking at the specs, I say yes. Cause I have no way of comparing them in person. But if you could buy a new phone now, considering that you have the L930, would you still buy it or ?
Thanks a lot.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The 930 is clearly worth the extra money and is likely to continue being the WP flagship for the coming months.
I have a 930 and before it I had a 920 and I can say that the 930 is the better choice.
I get from 14 to 24 hours of battery life with Cortana on, 4g on, Wifi and location services on.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Regarding the battery life on your Samsung, that's normal. All Lithium loose capacity over time and at least on the Samsung you can replace the battery and everything will be back as new. The 930 it's very difficult to replace the battery.

Fred

So, I'm probably gonna end up buying L930 in the next week or two and while reading the forums I've read quite a lot complaints on faulty devices etc. I've had my share with android phones (5 years), so I want to give WP a try. My friend has a lumia phone, I think its 530 or something like that, so comparing to L930 with specs its more of a budget phone. But it runs smooth, no lags and such. And he says that the battery is amazing. Reading how you have complaints that the battery lasts 22h - 1 day, and others that have good battery life (24h+), just wanna say that 1 day is a great deal for me, since my current phone Samsung Galaxy Nexus (3 years old), lasts around a few hours depending on what I do with it. Which is usually open instagram a few times and spotify for music, and that's pretty much it. I have to charge it a lot so that pisses me off. Having a full day without charging is gonna make me really happy.
So considering that the L930 is a newer phone than L925, is it worth the extra money ? Just by looking at the specs, I say yes. Cause I have no way of comparing them in person. But if you could buy a new phone now, considering that you have the L930, would you still buy it or ?
Thanks a lot.

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I think you're better off with the Lumia 930 as its going to have more support due to running more modern hardware plus it'll be future proof until Microsoft releases another 9XX flagship.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
The 930 is clearly worth the extra money and is likely to continue being the WP flagship for the coming months.
I have a 930 and before it I had a 920 and I can say that the 930 is the better choice.
I get from 14 to 24 hours of battery life with Cortana on, 4g on, Wifi and location services on.

Considering that I won't be using cortana, have no 4g coverage, use mostly mobile internet throught the day, that sounds awesome.
And Fred, I know it is normal and it can be changed. I just decided I'm not going to invest in the new battery considering I'm getting a new phone. Plus, there are videos that explain how to remove the back plastic of the phone. It's not that hard. But, lets hope it doesnt come to that. :)

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
And, btw. I've been following the Windows Phone sceen for a few weeks only and I can really say that I'm quite happy with how much attention WP is getting just in the last week. So many updates. That's great.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Well 930 is clearly the choice if you look at the specs. One thing though, make sure you get it with warranty as many users reported extreme overheating and screen lifting. Test it with attention. To check the overheating problem open internet explorer and navigate a little bit 5 -10 minutes on various websites. Check the back lower right of the phone how warm it gets. If it gets way too hot take it back and ask for a replacement, same goes for the screen lifting watch for it. Also there is a hw bug I believe it affects all 930 devices: when browsing on 2G network, on bright colors you might notice the screen flickering like a mad old TV. This is not something that can be fixed as they way 930 it's built, the interference from the 2G network is causing this, but this depends on the 2G's freq. In Romania for example on 1800mhz 2G it behaves like that.
Instead I would recommend the 1520. Despite it's huge screen, it has microSD card slot, does not overheat like hell, screen lifting is not a widespread problem and the 2G flickering is not present. If you can get used to it's bigger screen, go for this one. Has the same hardware specs, identical.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I'd gladly go for 1520, but the problem is they don't offer it under the type of contract I'm getting the L930. I actually love bigger screens.
Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check for all of that once I get it.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Well 930 is clearly the choice if you look at the specs. One thing though, make sure you get it with warranty as many users reported extreme overheating and screen lifting. Test it with attention. To check the overheating problem open internet explorer and navigate a little bit 5 -10 minutes on various websites. Check the back lower right of the phone how warm it gets. If it gets way too hot take it back and ask for a replacement, same goes for the screen lifting watch for it. Also there is a hw bug I believe it affects all 930 devices: when browsing on 2G network, on bright colors you might notice the screen flickering like a mad old TV. This is not something that can be fixed as they way 930 it's built, the interference from the 2G network is causing this, but this depends on the 2G's freq. In Romania for example on 1800mhz 2G it behaves like that.
Instead I would recommend the 1520. Despite it's huge screen, it has microSD card slot, does not overheat like hell, screen lifting is not a widespread problem and the 2G flickering is not present. If you can get used to it's bigger screen, go for this one. Has the same hardware specs, identical.

I have a 930 and it doesn't get hot while browsing, doesn't have the screen lift and surely doesn't have the 2G issue you said ALL 930 had.

You sshouldn't be spreading false information!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a 930 and it doesn't get hot while browsing, doesn't have the screen lift and surely doesn't have the 2G issue you said ALL 930 had.

You sshouldn't be spreading false information!
Open Skype when you are on 2G/Edge connection and look at the screen while moving around skype..I've seen this problem on my 930 and on other 4 phones in different stores.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Why is everyone bashing the 930 ? Are you guys not satisfied with the phone ?
Should I not get it ? I gotta be sure, cause I'm gonna be stuck with it for 2 years.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong. I like the 930, but of so many problems reported that it's like a lottery when you go an buy one: will it be ok or not. Forgetting about the screen flickering on 2G, it would be very good to play a little with it in the store, mostly to see if it heats up heavily on basic tasks such as IE browsing. if it does not heat up and the screen is not lifted it's ok. Anyhow, there is warranty, but most of the guys reported not so very good customer support.

Vlada Nehez

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
My honest opinion is to get it.

Read this article too as it implies there may not be another WP flagship until fall 2015. If this is true then the 930 makes more sense than ever.

The reason WHY there won't be a Microsoft/Windows Phone flagship until Autumn 2015
That just might be the reason enough for me. Thanks for the link.

Don't get me wrong. I like the 930, but of so many problems reported that it's like a lottery when you go an buy one: will it be ok or not. Forgetting about the screen flickering on 2G, it would be very good to play a little with it in the store, mostly to see if it heats up heavily on basic tasks such as IE browsing. if it does not heat up and the screen is not lifted it's ok. Anyhow, there is warranty, but most of the guys reported not so very good customer support.
I'll be sure to watch out for that while I'm in the store. And I guess the customer supports depends on the country and the place you buy it.
Thanks !

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
That just might be the reason enough for me. Thanks for the link.

I'll be sure to watch out for that while I'm in the store. And I guess the customer supports depends on the country and the place you buy it.
Thanks !

Good luck with your purchase and please come back and tell us what you think of your new purchase. :)

Just be sure to update it to Denim when it's available for your carrier as it will transform your phone.

Here are some details http://lumiaconversations.microsoft.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I bought 930 four months ago and have to say that phone is perfect! Right sized, beauty screen, battery life is decent especially after the latest PfD update. Internal memory is enough for me. Camera is great! I wouldn't change anything on it! Go ahead, you won't regret! :)

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a 925 and a 930.
I like the 930 more because:
- QI is build in.
- the screen looks nicer.
- the screen is bigger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads