Lumia Denim on 930 aka the King of Lumia Phones - Your first experience with it..

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
1. White is never white. You can see that if you compare it with a white IPS screen. It's grey. I had to move the sliders to get something close to white.

Turn off the dynamic brightness, then adjust to highest brightness, then choose a custom setting when it comes to color. This is really where WP offers a good solution that you can adjust brightness, warm/cold, tint, color strength etc. The AMOLED screen of the 930 is really good I think if you adjust it and WP offers a very nice customization here.

chris7191

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
It's because the AMOLED panel in this phone has really poor color uniformity and linearity with brightness adjustment. At low brightness, the panel has a very strong pink/purple push like many AMOLED screens. I believe the green push is a result of firmware over-correction of it. The problem is that some 930 and Icon displays are worse than others, and some suffer more from it in one quadrant of the screen, so a uniform adjustment will never be fully effective.

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Denim is great, just start playing with the new lumia camera and is lightning fast, still I miss the smart sequence and the ability to change faces, at least I cant find it on the new camera app.

hutchinsane

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I flashed Denmark ROM on my GB CV Black 930 and now am rocking Denim.

Here is what I've felt and seen in last 1 hour since Denim:

1) It seems faster (had to say that!)
2) It seems smoother
3) Haven't seen a single loading screen (jumped between Messenger, Skype, Calendar, Settings and Cortana)
4) Camera images are sharper and feels like they capture more details.
5) LOVE the long press of camera buttons when inside camera! It does these smart images that is essentially a video but you can view it frame by frame and choose a photo of your liking. Excellent stuff for peeps with babies, sport fans and those who take photos of objects that are still for microseconds.
6) Hey Cortana! - refuses to calibrate no matter what. Everything with Cortana works but you have to calibrate Cortana so that only your voice will wake her up and no one else can do that. But my Cortana doesn't even know I am trying to say "Hey Cortana!" - anyone got lucky?
7) Screen colours are nice to look at now. No needs to toggle any display settings like in Cyan.

What did you feel about Denim, if you have it now? Let's do our first impressions and beat Rubino on the front page, shall we? ;)

"Hey Cortana" actually works for me. It takes many tries to setup though, I had to do well more than 100 tries :/
It doesn't always recognize when I say it, which is kind of a bummer as I can trigger Cortana, go to the other side of the room and she understands me perfectly, but "Hey Cortana" seems to be very picky.

NZeee

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello Gents, I flashed my CZ/HU/SK CV L930 with the Danish firmware yesterday, to get the Denim update on board. (yes, patience is not my strong suit:)
Everything works fine, the whole UI feels slightly quicker, I guess MS adjusted the transition animations, the long awaited camera enhancements are superb.
I'm just wondering if it can cause any trouble to stay with the Danish version in long term? To be completely honest, I do not understand why we have so many different versions in EU... Anyway, is it recommended to flash it again as soon as the CZ/HU/SK CV firmware become available?
Thanks in advance. :smile:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello Gents, I flashed my CZ/HU/SK CV L930 with the Danish firmware yesterday, to get the Denim update on board. (yes, patience is not my strong suit:)
Everything works fine, the whole UI feels slightly quicker, I guess MS adjusted the transition animations, the long awaited camera enhancements are superb.
I'm just wondering if it can cause any trouble to stay with the Danish version in long term? To be completely honest, I do not understand why we have so many different versions in EU... Anyway, is it recommended to flash it again as soon as the CZ/HU/SK CV firmware become available?
Thanks in advance. :smile:
It won't make any difference! The only time I will change my ROM again is when next update rolls out to a different country first ;)

Florin_Anghel

Banned
Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone else experience lag/stuttering on menu tiles(home screen) when exiting apps? Mostly non 8.1 native apps. Ex, WindowsCentral app when closed with back button makes the menu home screen tiles to have a framed animation for a half a second. I really dislike this, did not have it on Cyan. It happens with more lag when using the new Camera, if exiting with back button, the animation of tiles is having frames.
I did twice the hard reset on the phone

NZeee

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I do :( It seems to me, that the update changed the timing of animations probably, to let the transitions happen quicker, but it does not work perfectly :(

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else experience lag/stuttering on menu tiles(home screen) when exiting apps? Mostly non 8.1 native apps. Ex, WindowsCentral app when closed with back button makes the menu home screen tiles to have a framed animation for a half a second. I really dislike this, did not have it on Cyan. It happens with more lag when using the new Camera, if exiting with back button, the animation of tiles is having frames.
I did twice the hard reset on the phone

Unpin Cortana tile.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
1520 with Denim here. I am having issues when changing the phone orientation (from vertical to horizontal). Not always, only sometimes, takes a huge time to change orientation. Anyone else?

My 830 shipped with Denim pre-installed and has this issue occasionally. I normally leave the orientation locked to portrait, but some websites are better viewed in landscape. I'm not sure why this issue exists with this certain of firmware, but hopefully Microsoft will issue a fix soon.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
My 830 shipped with Denim pre-installed and has this issue occasionally. I normally leave the orientation locked to portrait, but some websites are better viewed in landscape. I'm not sure why this issue exists with this certain of firmware, but hopefully Microsoft will issue a fix soon.

You get this on any specific apps as well or every time on IE only?

Nahuel 1988

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
On the precious version there isn't Glance Screen. Is it available on Demin for the 930 or it's really a hardware limitation? Asking for a friend. Thanks

NZeee

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
On the precious version there isn't Glance Screen. Is it available on Demin for the 930 or it's really a hardware limitation? Asking for a friend. Thanks
No, no Glance screen in Denim for the 930. I cannot imagine that Microsoft would use the hardware limit explanation as an excuse to fool their customers. I believe they would tell us, if there was any chance to make it available.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thatd make sense if it was a constant tint, but its not. It simply shows up on greys from time to time and then vanishes after a few seconds. Many others have reported it as well. Just one of the seemingly many quality concerns with some of the 930s. Isn't a deal breaker, but I was certainly hoping denim would resolve it.

Mine has only started doing this recently. I've had my 930 for nearly 6 months and I found display/color was very good to begin with out of the box. Then one of the updates I think in September seemed to have reset the color profile and grays were murky but playing with color profile fixed it. then the last update we had a few weeks ago seems to have brought along this problem when I first turn the phone on and depending on brightness the grays go murky but then are fixed a second or 2 later. the noticeable change is a little annoying though. hopefully Denim on my 930 addresses these issues. I say mine cause I think some 930's have these issues and some don't or have different issues. not too much of a deal breaker through cause I still think this phone is by far the best windows phone out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney